1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:04
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Common sense. If someone is routinely overindulging eating food then that person is going to get bigger and bigger.
    Common sense? We already dispwlled that myth.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:061 edit
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Michael Phelps ate 12,000 calories per day while training for the Olympics. Yet his body was in perfect condition.

Is that gluttony? Or does a person's lifestyle need to be considered as well?
    Michael Phelps is/was an elite level athlete. His body required vast quantities of calories as he trained pretty much all day everyday. A person can't consider to be 'over indulging' if they are using the calories they consume. If an office worker who sits down for most of the day ate the same quantity of food as Michael Phelps then that would be condsidered 'over indulgence' and they would become pretty obsese very quickly.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:12
    Michael Phelps is/was an elite level athlete. His body required vast quantities of calories as he trained pretty much all day everyday. A person can't consider to be 'over indulging' if they are using the calories they consume. If an office worker who sits down for most of the day at the same quantity of food as Michael Phelps then that would be condsidered 'over indulgence' they would become pretty obsese very quickly.
    It depends on why overindulgence is sinful. If the food eaten by a person could be used to feed the poor, would it not be sinful?
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:17
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It depends on why overindulgence is sinful. If the food eaten by a person could be used to feed the poor, would it not be sinful?
    I'm not a Christian so the concept of 'sin' is meaningless to me. That theological question is best suited for someone else.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:22
    Michael Phelps is/was an elite level athlete. His body required vast quantities of calories as he trained pretty much all day everyday. A person can't consider to be 'over indulging' if they are using the calories they consume. If an office worker who sits down for most of the day ate the same quantity of food as Michael Phelps then that would be condsidered 'over indulgence' and they would become pretty obsese very quickly.
    I merely used Phelps as an example. There are many ordinary people who train is some way: weightlifting, running, swimming, tennis, etc., who require more calories than the sedentary person.

Lifestyle matters when having a discussion about gluttony.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:39
    lol. Eladar continues to bend over backwards to defend gluttony and bend over backwards to attack homosexuality. The double standard is blatantly obvious.

As I explained to Eladar on the "Romans 1" thread:
    The lifestyle choice of gluttons is to overeat. They eat more than they need and that excess is stored as fat. They are gluttons.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:41
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    lol. Eladar continues to bend over backwards to defend gluttony and bend over backwards to attack homosexuality. The double standard is blatantly obvious.

As I explained to Eladar on the "Romans 1" thread:
    The lifestyle choice of gluttons is to overeat. They eat more than they need and that excess is stored as fat. They are gluttons.
    I'm sure you are right in your own mind and in agreement with the evil in your heart.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:45
    I'm sure you are right in your own mind and in agreement with the evil in your heart.
    As a defense for his blatant double standard, Eladar can come up with no more than a personal attack.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:54
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    As a defense for his blatant double standard, Eladar can come up with no more than a personal attack.
    Personal attack? Biblical fact.

Anyone who does not know the difference between sin and God's truth has a heart filled with evil. By your fruits you are known.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:571 edit

Anyone who does not know the difference between sin and God's truth has a heart filled with evil. By your fruits you are known.
    Christians will be judged by the doctrine of Christ.
    The same is not true for all of humanity
    The Bible recoginses that there are
    some without law,
    some with different laws
    some with the law written in their hearts.
    God is a fair judge and cannot judge everyone by the law of Moses or law of Christ.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:58

Eladar uses the Bible as a weapon to further his bigotry, just as the KKK tries to use the Bible to further their bigotry.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 20:07
    Romans 14

[b]As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. 2 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. 3 Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. 4 Who are you to pass j ...[text shortened]... he issue, but those who know the truth should refrain from drinking alcohol to prevent problems.
    The point to much of this isn't the eating or not eating it is watching out for the next guy
    whose faith may not be as strong as yours. Drinking alcohol isn't an issue for me, I don't
    drink hardly ever and when I do its at home not else where. Yet I know others have issue
    with drinking, because they were once bound to it and had to quit completely, or they just
    hate drinking and for them it is sinful. Either one of them I'd not drink in front of, I'd not
    want to tempt one who has an issue, the other because they feel its a sin and I would not
    want to cause grief. So my drinking once every couple of years will not occur in front of
    someone else. I'd never order pork with someone who thinks that is a sin, and so on, not
    because it is something I find wrong, but to avoid harming the other guys faith.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 20:12
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    The point to much of this isn't the eating or not eating it is watching out for the next guy
    whose faith may not be as strong as yours. Drinking alcohol isn't an issue for me, I don't
    drink hardly ever and when I do its at home not else where. Yet I know others have issue
    with drinking, because they were once bound to it and had to quit completely, or th ...[text shortened]... and so on, not
    because it is something I find wrong, but to avoid harming the other guys faith.
    Does this priciple also apply to actual sin?

If a so called Christian proposes that something that is sinful really isn't. Does Paul's teaching here say that we should be accepting of the sin?
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 20:171 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    with drinking, because they were once bound to it and had to quit completely, or th ...[text shortened]... and so on, not
    So we have there two idiots instead one 😀
    The weak in the faith guy has brought you down to his level ... 😀
    Fool .. bring the guy up to your level of knowledge and understanding.
    You can do better than Paul advice, you can exceed that and better that
    Pauls advice was not perfect.
    Educate the weak man... did that no occur to you?
    You wont eat pork because some fool will be affected ???
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 22:21
    When a man lies with a man as if the if the man were a woman.

But in general anytime a man or woman echanges the natural relationship between a man and woman it is sinful. Why? Jesus said because God created man and woman to becone one. In other words, God did not create a man for a man or a woman fir a woman. You can accept Jesus' teachings or not.
    So having homosexual thoughts or fantasies is not a sin?

What about gluttony? Clearly you are overweight and quite sensitive about it; you should be as gluttony is as bad as drunkenness which is as bad has homosexuality. But don't worry if you only think gay thoughts or think about eating.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree