Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 14:531 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    How do you define religion?
    Kelly
    religion

–noun
    1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
    3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
    4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
    5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
    6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 14:58
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Belief in a non-chaotic supernatural.
    Oh it's been a long time we had not the pleasure to enjoy a decent conversation😵

Methinks a religion does not necessarily imply symbols and rites and temples and priests and all that jazz although I do not argue that this apparatus is not indeed the common superficial part of a religion; however a religion is merely a body of collective beliefs and practices endowed with a certain authority.
    So in my opinion "religion" is just a product of our societies that causes specific effects on the lives of its believers that are driven by their respectful core religious beliefs.
    😵
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 15:01
    Kelly
    And how do you KellyJay define religion?

😵
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 15:101 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Oh it's been a long time we had not the pleasure to enjoy a decent conversation😵

Methinks a religion does not necessarily imply symbols and rites and temples and priests and all that jazz although I do not argue that this apparatus is not indeed the common superficial part of a religion; however a religion is merely a body of collective beliefs and on the lives of its believers that are driven by their respectful core religious beliefs.
    😵
    Isn't that a bit circular? After all, "religious beliefs" are part of your definition of religion.

And if beliefs are left unqualified, then the "body of collective beliefs and practices endowed with a certain authority" could be used for a variety of things (politics springs to mind) that are not thought of as being "religious" in a colloquial use of the word...
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 15:11

😵
    I bet he'll tell us why Christianity is allegedly not a religion.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 15:13
    Originally posted by rwingett
    religion

–noun
    1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices gen ...[text shortened]... devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
    Mine is much better. 😏
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 15:14
    Isn't that a bit circular? After all, "religious beliefs" are part of your definition of religion.

And if beliefs are left unqualified, then the "body of collective beliefs and practices endowed with a certain authority" could be used for a variety of things (politics springs to mind) that are not thought of as being "religious" in a colloquial use of the word...
    No it isn't circular, and I was sure that you would ask me this question Pal my pal!

Since every religion is not divinely or supernaturally inspired and it is solely a human invention, I see it as just another social product that constitutes a body of collective archetypes which in turn they became the basis of the invention of collective beliefs and practices endowed with a certain authority. In my opinion a “religion” is not necessarily just a plexus of symbols, rites, temples, religious personages and worshipping of supernatural existences, but also an apparatus of collective representations that they express collective realities.

On our way from the miscellaneous archetypes to the miscellaneous religions we notice that this concept is a source of solidarity and identification of the believers within a society, able (according to the believers) to provide a theory of reality, a meaning for a purposeful life, authority figures and “reinforcement” of the collective moral and social norms. This is the reason why the religion is a critical part of the social system.

Therefore I am sure that even atheism can suffer of radical “religious sects” -like Stalinism and Maoism amongst else- since in such an environment the aim of the leadership is the establishment by any means of a specific social control system that reassures “cohesion” and “purpose for the people”, which it forces the individual to obey, communicate, interact, behave and live under specific social norms that are supposedly designed for him but, alas, without him. So when I trade the orthodox religious concept of the sacred supernatural existence and of the supernatural realm of reality (that they have to be worshipped by the believers) with the radical collective Stalinist and Maoist etc ideals that they are fixed deep into the “revolutionary societies” as the essence of the “revolution”, I understand what exactly goes wrong: the radical body of the individuals -the “clan”, the fundamentalist believers, the fundamentalist revolutionaries- become extremely powerful and they mutate into disastrous sentient beings. Inquisitors, Nazis, Maoists, Stalinists, radical Islamists, radical Christians etc. are all in my opinion religious to the hilt.

So I see “religions” -the radical sects of atheism etc included- as a product of our societies. It ‘s up to us to use our intelligence properly and to cease dogmatize upon the nature of things based on miscellaneous so called “absolute truths”. In fact, the miscellaneous theories of reality are merely theories and not “absolute truth”.
    😵
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 15:15
    I bet he'll tell us why Christianity is allegedly not a religion.
    We 'll see!
    😵
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 15:16
    Mine is much better. 😏
    Maybe, but for the time being methinks your opening lacks of some sharp variations Pal pal😵
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 16:07
    No it isn't circular, and I was sure that you would ask me this question Pal my pal!

Since every religion is not divinely or supernaturally inspired and it is solely a human invention, I see it as just another social product that constitutes a body of collective archetypes which in turn they became the basis of the invention of collective beliefs and ...[text shortened]... n fact, the miscellaneous theories of reality are merely theories and not “absolute truth”.
    😵
    But if you define religion as an apparatus of collectiveness, then you implicitly deny the possibility of a purely personal view of religion. Surely you agree that a purely personal view on a creator is a religious belief?

It also seems you equate all social dogmatists (dogma in the authoritarian sense) with religion. Although this is an interesting euphemism, it remains just that. I don't think religion is necessarily dogmatic (although it does require assertions, they need not be inflexible) and, conversely, labelling all social dogmas as religious is then a purely literary device.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 16:21
    Kelly
    James says that a true religion that is pure and not defiled is to visit the widow and fatherless.

Of course, you rarely hear that preached.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 02:11

😵
    I tend to agree with a lot of the things already brought up, that
    religion is a set of beliefs, values, practices, that form our judgment,
    devotion, and light our paths in life, by which we justify and condemn
    ourselves and others.
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 02:12
    religion

–noun
    2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices gen ...[text shortened]... devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
    Is this how you define it or a dictionary?
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree