1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:03
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So should the criticism of one person quailfy a religion to be a cult or does it take a hundred or ten thousand critacal opinions to make it a cult?
    I think it's about [1] dogma, [2] the sense of being set apart and the carefully cultivated sense of "otherness" and exceptional-ism, and [3] the resulting intellectual and interpersonal behavior.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:221 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think the sense that a group is a "cult" can be enumerated in terms of number of "accepted ideas". I think the accusation is much more of a "gut feeling" thing, a repulsion, a feeling of caution, sympathy, ruefulness etc.
    I think it can and it may simply be intellectual laziness not to attempt to establish characteristics and simply to leave it to gut feeling, after all, that's what these forums are for, are they not?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think it's about [1] dogma, [2] the sense of being set apart and the carefully cultivated sense of "otherness" and exceptional-ism, and [3] the resulting intellectual and interpersonal behavior.
    There are some cults that their unorthox beliefs have proven to be a danger to their members and sometimes the society in general. Other cults are less dangerous and governments have been able to tolerate them or in some cases able to over-rule their bizarre belief practices. The JWs are a well tolerated cult by the governments of all nations.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:29
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There are some cults that their unorthox beliefs have proven to be a danger to their members and sometimes the society in general. Other cults are less dangerous and governments have been able to tolerate them or in some cases able to over-rule their bizarre belief practices. The JWs are a well tolerated cult by the governments of all nations.
    Knowing that there are many religions out there that are called a cult, why do you zero in on the Witnesses? Is there some special hate you have for them or do you hate others also? Why do you never mention the other ones?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I think it can and it may simply be intellectual laziness not to attempt to establish characteristics and simply to leave it to gut feeling, after all, that's what these forums are for, are they not?
    To my way of thinking it is a damaged word and it's used to express a gut feeling about a given group. If you want to dub this point of view a product of "intellectual laziness" on my part, then so be it. I've been called much worse.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:33
    Knowing that there are many religions out there that are called a cult, why do you zero in on the Witnesses? Is there some special hate you have for them or do you hate others also? Why do you never mention the other ones?
    The Hate Card has been played yet again, ladies and gentlemen.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:40
    It has nothing to do with my hatred of cults. I actually like the JWs inspite of their unorthodox and sometime bizarre beliefs. I was really making this comment in relation to the most recent thread questioning if the JWs were a cult. I do believe they are a cult of Christianity and they are not really Christian in their distorted core beliefs. 😏
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    To my way of thinking it is a damaged word and it's used to express a gut feeling about a given group. If you want to dub this point of view a product of "intellectual laziness" on my part, then so be it. I've been called much worse.
    once again, its not about you, but to simply state that we cannot define a term because of its use or misuses in the common culture is intellectually lazy.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:44
    Why do you never mention the other ones?
    What are you on about? RJHinds has condemned Muslims and Catholics ad nauseam on this forum. Do you not read any of his posts?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    The Hate Card has been played yet again, ladies and gentlemen.
    he consistently makes references to Jehovahs Witnesses in threads that are not about Jehovahs witnesses, that makes him a hater, but I will be very pleased if neither you, nor Hiinds nor anyone else wrecks my thread on the definition of a cult with these childish pot shots.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    By why do you want to label it/them a cult? Why not simply point out all the things you think are bad/wrong about their organisation? I think that when people try to force a label onto an unwilling subject it is in order to make claims that cannot genuinely be supported by force of argument/evidence but rather the misuse of definitions.
    People do the sam ...[text shortened]... comes to mind and the way certain people will insist that adaptation occurs but not evolution.
    Good question and welcome back by the way.

I do accept that I use the term provocatively, but I do honestly think the JW organisation is a cult; I've explained my reasons for thinking this way and I feel it is justified. The way they treat what they classify as "apostatizing members" is totally dehumanising and they should be ashamed of themselves. Come the revolution the whole rotten thing will be closed down.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:50
    I call you out because you are here. If Lloyd E Atkins had the balls to turn up instead of just blog, I'd call him out too.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:51
    he consistently makes references to Jehovahs Witnesses in threads that are not about Jehovahs witnesses, that makes him a hater, but I will be very pleased if neither you, nor Hiinds nor anyone else wrecks my thread on the definition of a cult with these childish pot shots.
    No one "hates" you; ffs calm down.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:511 edit
    once again, its not about you, but to simply state that we cannot define a term because of its use or misuses in the common culture is intellectually lazy.
    I don't think I am being "intellectually lazy" at all. I've told you what I think people MEAN when they use the word "cult" and what group characteristics and member attributes it is I think they may be referring to. I have also said that I rarely use the word because it is emotive and laden with subjectivity, and that my attempted "definition" will not further the debate by offering yet another supposedly 'objective' definition. There is a 'reality' about this word and its use that you are not going to alter by insisting on yet another subjective definition from em. Far from being "intellectually lazy", I think I have demonstrated some intellectual integrity in the way I have addressed this word and the way people use it.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:53
    Good grief, The Hate Card has been played yet again, ladies and gentlemen. How long's it been? It was played against me a day or two ago too. 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree