Definition of a cult

Definition of a cult

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I am not sure i understand your meaning, but i thank you for bringing the thread back on course.
Legalism, Trying to keep the rules to go to heaven.

rc

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by RBHILL
Legalism, Trying to keep the rules to go to heaven.
Its no worse than trying to but ones way into heaven but i still dont see the connection between that and the definition of a cult.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
01 Feb 13

What Is a Cult?

The term “cult” is used loosely by many who may not be fully aware of its connotations. To prevent confusion, some theologians actually avoid using the term.

The World Book Encyclopedia explains that “traditionally, the term cult referred to any form of worship or ritual observance.” By that criterion, all religious organizations could be classified as cults. However, in general usage today, the word “cult” has a different meaning. The same encyclopedia notes that “since the mid-1900’s, publicity about cults has altered the meaning of the term. Today, the term is applied to groups that follow a living leader who promotes new and unorthodox doctrines and practices.”

Endorsing the popular usage of the term, Newsweek magazine explains that cults “are normally small, fringe groups whose members derive their identity and purpose from a single, charismatic individual.” Similarly, Asiaweek magazine notes that “the term [cult] itself is vague, but it usually denotes a new religious creed built around a charismatic leader, who often proclaims himself to be the personification of God.”

The language used in a joint resolution of the 100th Congress of the State of Maryland, U.S.A., also conveys the derogatory connotation of the term cult. The resolution states that “a cult is a group or movement exhibiting excessive devotion to a person or idea and employing unethically manipulative techniques of persuasion and control to advance the goals of its leaders.”

Clearly, cults are generally understood to be religious groups with radical views and practices that clash with what is accepted today as normal social behavior. Usually they conduct their religious activities in secrecy. Many of these cultic groups actually isolate themselves in communes. Their devotion to a self-proclaimed human leader is likely to be unconditional and exclusive. Often these leaders boast of having been divinely chosen or even of being themselves divine in nature.

T

Moves
01 Feb 13
2 edits

I fully understood it and have not intimated that it is exclusively one who leaves the mainstream, now you will state why you singled Jehovahs witnesses out. I am uninterested in anything else you have to say, simply please tell the forum why you have singled Jehovahs witnesses out. Are they the only ones who have left the mainstream? Are they the only ones you consider to be a cult? No, then why have you singled them out?
I am uninterested in anything else you have to say, simply please tell the forum why you have singled Jehovahs witnesses out.

I've already explained this twice now.

I first explained like this:
From what I can tell, this thread was borne from a discussion you were having with DG on the "@ JWs on [your] Jehovah and killing" thread which you capped off on page 2 with the following post:
[quote]You stated that Jehovahs Witnesses are a cult, i am addressing your last post. It is a term you have used consistently in your criticism, therefore, what is your definition of a cult.

Seems to get to the heart of the matter, doesn't it?
[/quote]

Then I re-explained it like this:
I already explained that I was getting to the "heart of the matter" which is whether or not the JWs fit the definition of a cult per the discussion that prompted this thread. Not sure what you don't understand about this.

Now you're asking me to explain it to you a third time?

Seems like you're once again pulling what FMF calls "pretending not to understand". Why do you bother doing stuff like this, when everyone knows that you try to pull these childish shenanigans?

The fact is that the following seems to be a reasonable definition of 'cult' and the JWs seem to fit the definition pretty well:
In the West, the term has come to be used for groups that are perceived to have deviated from normative religions in belief and practice. They typically have a charismatic leader and attract followers who are in some way disenfranchised from the mainstream of society. Cults as thus defined are often viewed as foreign or dangerous.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by galveston75
Would you agree or not that the early Christian beliefs and teaching expressed by Jesus were not also a cult in relation to the accepted teachings of his time according to your example here?
No comments on this by anyone?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Feb 13

I think I have mentioned before that Christianity could be considered as a cult of Judaism. And of course, now, Jehovah's Witnesses can be considered as a cult of Christianity. So there you have it. I consider JWs a cult. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
02 Feb 13
2 edits

I have already commented on it in response to another poster.

You seem to be hiding from the argument which twhithead has called out, which is that we should focus on the behaviors and attitudes that lead to a group or organisation such as the Jehovah's Witnesses being termed a cult. Perhaps you do this because you are more comfortable contending with the literal definition of a cult, rather than addressing the root cause of why people [like me] accuse your organisation of being one.

There are a plethora of websites (you would term them 'hate sites'😉 set up for the purpose of providing the damaged people who leave the JW organisation a platform for council, communication and redress of the years or psychological abuse through manipulation, mind control and ultimately rejection by those they held as friends and even family. Do you think these people are making it all up just because they have nothing better to do? Really..?

The fact that you are not permitted to look at these sites or indeed read any material which is published against JW beliefs or doctrine (deny it...) is surely contributory to your continued self-denial and entrapment within the very thing you defend so vehemently. You and robbie both look to what you claim to be a lack of evidence that your organisation is a cult, citing 'no charismatic leader' or such things and yet you turn a disgraceful blind eye to the actions of some elements within the organisation itself.

You come to this forum repeatedly claiming that your organisation is "the sole voice of god's truth of earth", that only JWs will see god, the afterlife and whatever else, that everyone else in Christendom, everyone mind you..., is wrong and your WT organisation is completely right; and you do not see that these are cultist statements?

You are not hated or persecuted, although you relish thinking so because it reinforces your belief that you are the 'chosen ones' - see your quote from Matthew earlier. You are challenged because you are wrong, you are challenged because your organisation keeps members entrapped through fear of leaving, and you are challenged because many of the JW beliefs are not only silly they are downright dangerous.

You are not hated, either of you.

rc

Moves
02 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
[b] I am uninterested in anything else you have to say, simply please tell the forum why you have singled Jehovahs witnesses out.

I've already explained this twice now.

I first explained like this:
From what I can tell, this thread was borne from a discussion you were having with DG on the "@ JWs on [your] Jehovah and killing" thread whi foreign or dangerous.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult
[/b]
Why have you singled Jehovahs witnesses out, you may like to start by answering the question. You might like to start with, I have singled Jehovahs Witnesees out because . . .

F

Moves
02 Feb 13
1 edit

Why have you singled Jehovahs witnesses out, you may like to start by answering the question. You might like to start with, I have singled Jehovahs Witnesees out because . . .
You are a Jehovah's Witness, and you are here - active - on this forum promoting your beliefs and your organisation, and you started this thread, so it doesn't seem to me to be out of the ordinary to discuss the Jehovah's Witness organisation with you, does it? I mean, objectively speaking, do you really think discussing the Jehovah's Witness organisation with you is strange in some sort of way?

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
02 Feb 13

Would you agree or not that the early Christian beliefs and teaching expressed by Jesus were not also a cult in relation to the accepted teachings of his time according to your example here?
By what I know of the definition of a cult, early Christianity was indeed a cult. They professed a belief not held by any other religious group at the time.
Many years ago I belonged to a cult which believed in the eventual Unity of Christ and Satan. Reconciliation of dualities and all that. It was rightly defined as a cult by a sociologist in his book about us. It exists now only in small corners of the web. The picture to your left is from the Death issue.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by FMF
You are a Jehovah's Witness, and you are here - active - on this forum promoting your beliefs and your organisation, and you started this thread, so it doesn't seem to me to be out of the ordinary to discuss the Jehovah's Witness organisation with you, does it? I mean, objectively speaking, do you really think discussing the Jehovah's Witness organisation with you is strange in some sort of way?
No, no FMF the JWs have been singled out because they are gods only chosen people; chosen from among all the "Christian" denominations to receive all wisdom and truth from Jehovah, and we [non JWs] are influenced by the devil to persecute them for being the only organisation chosen to receive........well you see what I'm saying.

Oh and we hate them too, I nearly forgot that.

F

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by divegeester
No, no FMF the JWs have been singled out because they are gods only chosen people; chosen from among all the "Christian" denominations to receive all wisdom and truth from Jehovah, and we [non JWs] are influenced by the devil to persecute them for being the only organisation chosen to receive........well you see what I'm saying.

Oh and we hate them too, I nearly forgot that.
I am baffled as to why robbie would think that someone discussing the Jehovah's Witness organisation with him is to have "singled Jehovah's Witnesses out".

rc

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by caissad4
By what I know of the definition of a cult, early Christianity was indeed a cult. They professed a belief not held by any other religious group at the time.
Many years ago I belonged to a cult which believed in the eventual Unity of Christ and Satan. Reconciliation of dualities and all that. It was rightly defined as a cult by a sociologist in his book abo ...[text shortened]... t exists now only in small corners of the web. The picture to your left is from the Death issue.
Indeed but where is your definition of what constitutes a cult? If we are going to make assertions about what constitutes a cult then surely it is entirely logical to define what we mean by a cult.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
02 Feb 13

Indeed but where is your definition of what constitutes a cult? If we are going to make assertions about what constitutes a cult then surely it is entirely logical to define what we mean by a cult.
As twhitehead says maybe it is better to focus behaviors and outcomes as evidenced.

Cape Town

Moves
02 Feb 13

Clearly, cults are generally understood to be religious groups with radical views and practices that clash with what is accepted today as normal social behavior.
The problem being that people tend to be somewhat biased in their own favor as to what 'normal societal behavior' constitutes. So in general one almost never refers to ones own group as a cult.