1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 10:17
    All of them; all the Christian denominations (especially the big ones) and all the spin off cults such as the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses, are all out to manipulate people and make pots of cash. It's depressing and loathsome. The passing round of the the begging bowl during times of worship is the most repellent sight in churches.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 10:25
    Better to profit than to brainwash members into exploding themselves in public places.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 10:371 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Better to profit than to brainwash members into exploding themselves in public places.
    Yes high explosives should be banned too. And brainwashing.

In fact let's propose that the meeting of four or more denominational cultists should be classed as an illegal gathering...
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 11:34
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yes high explosives should be banned too. And brainwashing.

In fact let's propose that the meeting of four or more denominational cultists should be classed as an illegal gathering...
    That would end up with RHP as we know it, my friend 😛
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 11:521 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    All of them; all the Christian denominations (especially the big ones) and all the spin off cults such as the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses, are all out to manipulate people and make pots of cash. It's depressing and loathsome. The passing round of the the begging bowl during times of worship is the most repellent sight in churches.
    umm we dont actually take collections, we never have.

I have a tract from 1908, in which Charles Russel, one of the founding members of the
    modern day Jehovah Witnesses organisation, advertised to give a public lecture ,
    Sunday 26th of April, 1908, at St Andrews Halls, Kent Road, Glasgow, its states in bold
    at the bottom, ALL WELCOME, NO COLLECTION,

therefore i will be pleased if you shall remove reference to us when you are talking
    about soliciting funds from our congregation members or from the public, for i find it
    an inaccurate portrayal of reality.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 11:57
    Robbie, how does it feel to be number 144,001 ?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 12:04
    Robbie, how does it feel to be number 144,001 ?
    i am not part of the 144,000, for I have no pretensions of ascending to heaven, i hope
    to live forever on a paradise earth, question is therefore not a little inaccurate.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 12:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    umm we dont actually take collections, we never have.

I have a tract from 1908, in which Charles Russel, one of the founding members of the
    modern day Jehovah Witnesses organisation, advertised to give a public lecture ,
    Sunday 26th of April, 1908, at St Andrews Halls, Kent Road, Glasgow, its states in bold
    at the bottom, ALL WELCOME, NO C ...[text shortened]... our congregation members or from the public, for i find it
    an inaccurate portrayal of reality.
    How does your organisation pay for the printing of it's publications?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 12:121 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    How does your organisation pay for the printing of it's publications?
    we finance it ourselves through voluntary contributions. Occasionally the public may offer a donation, but its few and far between now, in fact, i cannot remember in the past five years ever receiving a public donation. We are not allowed to solicit for funds when going from house to house, as far as i am aware, its against the law, which always kind of irks me when some charities do.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 12:13
    we finance it ourselves through voluntary contributions.
    Can you be a member of your organisation and never make a voluntary contribution?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 12:163 edits
    Can you be a member of your organisation and never make a voluntary contribution?
    yes you can, for who will know except you? although i think in actuality its unlikely for
    sporting events and places for conventions cost not a little money to organise,
    although we save lots of dosh by providing our own trained stewards, fire safety
    stewards and first aid, but even these must be adequately qualified and must renew
    their certificates at their own cost.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 12:20
    yes you can, for who will know except you? although i think in actuality its unlikely for
    sporting events and places for conventions cost not a little money to organise,
    although we save lots of dosh by providing our own trained stewards, fore safety
    personell and forst aid, but even theses must be adequately qualified and must renew
    their certificates at their own cost.
    Good point.

Do you know what the costs are for printing the close to a billion magazines every year?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 12:325 edits
    Good point.

Do you know what the costs are for printing the close to a billion magazines every year?
    I think, as charities go (we are registered in the UK as a charity) that each
    congregation must publicly declare its financial state of affairs. Compared to the
    Church of Scotland and the Catholic church we are paupers. Each year,
    usually January or February there is a finacial statement printed in the Magazines
    detailing how much was spent on printing literature, paying for conventions and it runs
    in to millions, but i am not sure the exact amount. Here in the Uk, we have two
    massive, and i mean massive MAN Roland Lithoman printing presses which can print i think 90,000
    magazines an hour, this is done by voluntary workers, the shipping is done by
    voluntary workers, the maintenance of the trucks is done by voluntary workers etc etc

In cases of emergency or special need, the congregation may be asked if they wish
    to send a desired amount to a special fund, say for Japan, its termed a resolution
    and a show of hands ensues, all those in favour and the money is sent. But even
    here the funds were obtained by the voluntary contributions of congregation
    members.
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 13:25
    Robbie, if you were about to die and needed a transfusion, but
    in order to get it you would have to salute the Cross of St. George,
    what would you do?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 13:44
    Robbie, if you were about to die and needed a transfusion, but
    in order to get it you would have to salute the Cross of St. George,
    what would you do?
    why would i need a transfusion, there are bloodless surgical techniques that you may
    well be unaware of, as for saluting the Cross of St George, id rather die!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree