1. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 11:16
    Originally posted by divegeester
    .... but I do not agree with passing round the plate, or any other form of tapping up the congregation for money irrespective of the motive.
    Are you therefore against charity work by Churches? Or are you just saying that donations, should not be 'encouraged'?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 12:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Are you therefore against charity work by Churches? Or are you just saying that donations, should not be 'encouraged'?
    Neither, why would I be against charitable work,or are you just scrapping the barrel now?

What does "encouraged" mean as you put it? You seem to be flapping around looking for an angle here, not sure what or why.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 12:53
    Neither, why would I be against charitable [b]work,or are you just scrapping the barrel now?

What does "encouraged" mean as you put it? You seem to be flapping around looking for an angle here, not sure what or why.[/b]
    I am not trying to create an argument at all, merely seeking clarification.
    Are you opposed to a Church collecting money as a collective, then using that money for Charitable works?
    If you are not opposed to the above, are you saying all such 'collecting' should be in the form of charitable donations without any prompting (collection plate)?

What are your views on NGOs that collect money for charity? Are they OK, so long as they are not a Church?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 12:591 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am not trying to create an argument at all, merely seeking clarification.
    Are you opposed to a Church collecting money as a collective, then using that money for Charitable works?
    If you are not opposed to the above, are you saying all such 'collecting' should be in the form of charitable donations without any prompting (collection plate)?

What are ...[text shortened]... r views on NGOs that collect money for charity? Are they OK, so long as they are not a Church?
    I'm not interested in other organisations.

The leaders in the Christian church should not be asking the congregation for money especially not to support paid salaried leaders and certainly not by passing the begging bowl around. If there is a particular charitable need then a public announcement can be made and the individuals in the congregation can freely choose, without the public pressure of watching the plead-plate go around, whether or not to privately contribute.
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 14:23
    It is my view ... Edit... (LDS), Christadelphians etc
    Did you read my response to your post in the Easter 2013 thread?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 15:42
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    Did you read my response to your post in the Agerg and atheists thread?
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 15:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    Did you read my response to your post in the Agerg and atheists thread?
    yes i did.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 15:59
    yes i did.
    You seem to have caved in having had your straw man exposed. Shame. Promising topic. you don't seem to want to go the distance. Not talking about my post as such. I'm talking about the posts I mentioned in my post.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 02:19
    I'm not interested in other organisations.

The leaders in the Christian church should not be asking the congregation for money especially not to support paid salaried leaders and certainly not by passing the begging bowl around. If there is a particular charitable need then a public announcement can be made and the individuals in the congregation can ...[text shortened]... public pressure of watching the plead-plate go around, whether or not to privately contribute.
    Money is not taken from the people by force like governments do with their taxes and laws of imprisonment if you don't give enough. So since the giving is all volunteer in the church, I don't see the problem. The people don't have to give, if they disagree with it like you do. In your case, just don't give to those organizations and let the people decide the fate of those churches.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 05:49
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Money is not taken from the people by force like governments do with their taxes and laws of imprisonment if you don't give enough. So since the giving is all volunteer in the church, I don't see the problem. The people don't have to give, if they disagree with it like you do. In your case, just don't give to those organizations and let the people decide the fate of those churches.
    Yes corporate Christianity is demonstrably very good at this isn't it.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 06:12
    I've responded.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 19:56
    Yes corporate Christianity is demonstrably very good at this isn't it.
    Christianity has survived nearly 2000 years of history, so it must be doing something right. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 20:15
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Christianity has survived nearly 2000 years of history, so it must be doing something right. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    Give the idiocy a rest.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree