1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 May '16 18:26
    Okay, a Buddhist, a Christian and an Atheist are each stranded by themselves on a remote desert island. (Hey, it could happen). There is sufficient food, fresh water and shelter to sustain life, but little chance of rescue.

Who would stay mentally strong the longest, and why?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 May '16 18:27
    But is there internet?
    And are they all the same sex?
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 May '16 18:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But is there internet?
    And are they all the same sex?
    No internet, but there are coconuts. (Plenty of coconuts).

They're all men, aged 27 and Sagittarius.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 May '16 18:34
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    No internet, but there are coconuts. (Plenty of coconuts).

They're all men, aged 27 and Sagittarius.
    To be honest I don't think knowing their religion is enough to make a reasonable guess as to how they will take it. There is just so much more to people than their religion.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 May '16 22:43
    Okay, a Buddhist, a Christian and an Atheist are each stranded by themselves on a remote desert island. (Hey, it could happen). There is sufficient food, fresh water and shelter to sustain life, but little chance of rescue.

I think I heard this joke once but can't remember the punch line. 😞
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 May '16 22:44

Assuming they were all fervent in their beliefs, had similar personalities, etc., I'd say the Christian. The Christian would have some sort of hope of something greater than himself rescuing him, and/or the belief that God is testing him and will reward him for his faith. That could keep him going longer than the other two whose beliefs are don't include miracles.

That said, the Christian would probably fair the worst in a world full of ever-progressing scientific knowledge and social acceptance.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 May '16 22:486 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think I heard this joke once but can't remember the punch line. 😞
    A Buddhist, a Christian and an atheist are each stranded by themselves on a remote desert island. The Buddhist learns to find peace with his new life, the atheist studies the land to build a raft and go home, and the Christian drowns trying to walk back to civilization.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 May '16 23:14
    http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/main-factors-driving-population-growth/pf_15-04-02_ch1graphics_lifeexpectancyreligion310px/

Buddhists > Unaffiliated > Christian
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 May '16 23:34

Probably the atheist.
    He has more "invested" in being rescued in that he knows that this life is the only life.

Also - statistically - he is more intelligent and better educated than the other two.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '16 23:421 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '16 00:041 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 May '16 00:16
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Probably the atheist.
    He has more "invested" in being rescued in that he knows that this life is the only life.

Also - statistically - he is more intelligent and better educated than the other two.
    I wouldn't bet on that, I looked up the statistics on College education in the US a couple of years ago for a thread in this forum. From memory the grouping most likely to have a college (i.e. university) education were the Unitarians.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    07 May '16 00:312 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    More recently, a Colombian man survived two months stranded on a raft.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/politics/pacific-rescue-after-two-months-at-sea/index.html

Survivor Type is a creepy short story by Stephen King which is about being stranded on a raft.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/melissa-mullins/2015/05/31/hollywood-diversity-white-actresses-getting-asian-roles
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 May '16 04:19
    That wouldn't be very Christian would it?
    Or Buddhist presumably??
    😀
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 May '16 07:17
    What if the atheist, void as he is of morality, decides to eat the Buddhist and Christian and use that extra protein to build a raft?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree