1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 May '16 09:52
    Originally posted by JS357
    http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/main-factors-driving-population-growth/pf_15-04-02_ch1graphics_lifeexpectancyreligion310px/

Buddhists > Unaffiliated > Christian
    According to the graph at that link, wouldn't it be:

Unaffiliated > Buddhists > Christians

It looks like the Unaffiliated have a year on the Buddhists.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 May '16 11:10
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Survivor Type is a creepy short story by Stephen King which is about being stranded on a raft.
    I read that short story from the collection book Skeleton Crew.

That story creeped me out way, way more than anything else he ever wrote.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 May '16 11:12
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Ignoring that the Buddhist has far more in common with the atheist than with the Christian.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 May '16 12:17
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Ignoring that the Buddhist has far more in common with the atheist than with the Christian.
    Particularly since many/most? Buddhist's ARE in fact atheists...
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 May '16 12:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That depends on where they come from. A Chinese Buddhist and Chinese Christian would have more in common with each other than with an Angolan Atheist.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 May '16 13:05
    Personally I would hope that three people of any religions or lack thereof would work together
    to escape the 'desert island' and return to civilisation.

Which in today's world shouldn't be that hard* given the paucity of uninhabited islands and
    the density of sea going shipping.

*At least, not so hard that anyone should abandon hope. It's certainly possible to fail and die
    trying... But that's hardly different to any other day where death is always a possibility.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    07 May '16 13:51
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Personally I would hope that three people of any religions or lack thereof would work together
    to escape the 'desert island' and return to civilisation.

The OP says that they're "each" stranded, by themselves; it doesn't say they are stranded together.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 May '16 14:01
    Originally posted by vivify
    The OP says that they're "each" stranded, by themselves; it doesn't say they are stranded together.
    Yes, but the conversation had headed to discussing them all together.

As for the OP... That will entirely depend on the people involved as to whether they keep
    their sanity in order.

I will note that all things being equal the evidence is that having firm beliefs and world view is
    helpful for maintaining good mental health... and it doesn't really matter what that worldview
    is. So a strong atheist does just as well [all things being equal] as a committed theist of
    whatever stripe.

However that effect is quite small, and when looking at any individuals [particularly in an extreme
    situation] the vast individual variation will dwarf any such effect.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 May '16 14:07
    Personally I would hope that three people of any religions or lack thereof would work together to escape the 'desert island' and return to civilisation.
    What makes you think they want to return to civilisation?
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 May '16 14:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What makes you think they want to return to civilisation?
    Well it was kind of implied in the question in the OP as "staying strong despite having little to no
    chance of rescue" is not a problem if you want to be all alone and not be rescued.

Also, your odds of survival are [in general, and almost all circumstances] much greater as part of
    a civilisation as opposed to being all on your own. And almost all people want some form of social
    contact and support [us being a social species] with those that don't being vary rare.

So while it's possible that [either together or alone] the people in the op 'might' not want to be rescued
    and get back to civilisation, it's not very probable and it's contraindicated by the OP.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 May '16 14:41
    Yes, but the conversation had headed to discussing them all together.

As for the OP... That will entirely depend on the people involved as to whether they keep
    their sanity in order.

I will note that all things being equal the evidence is that having firm beliefs and world view is
    helpful for maintaining good mental health... and it doesn't rea ...[text shortened]... articularly in an extreme
    situation] the vast individual variation will dwarf any such effect.
    I wonder if a person's faith would start to work against them after a considerable time on the island and when all hope of rescue had gone.

From day one on the island the theist and atheist drew strength from different sources, the theist from an external source which haboured hope of divine intervention or protection. I wonder, if while the atheist adapted and accepted the situation for what it was, the theist would quietly implode. (Like a Borg being disconnected from the collective).
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 May '16 15:05
    And almost all people want some form of social contact and support [us being a social species] with those that don't being vary rare.
    But Buddhists in particular are noted for intentionally going against that trend.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 May '16 15:08
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    From day one on the island the theist and atheist drew strength from different sources, the theist from an external source which haboured hope of divine intervention or protection. I wonder, if while the atheist adapted and accepted the situation for what it was, the theist would quietly implode. (Like a Borg being disconnected from the collective).
    There are many possible outcomes. Some theists loose their faith when they go through tragedy or hardship, others have their faith strengthened by it. Some loose it while on the island but regain it when rescued. Others loose it forever. There are not enough statistics on the matter to even say which outcome would be the most likely.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 May '16 15:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But Buddhists in particular are noted for intentionally going against that trend.
    Again only a minority, a Buddhist monk say, vs an average adherent.

And even then, going to a reclusive monastery and living with a few other monks is not
    the same as complete isolation and cessation of all human contact and support.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 May '16 15:36
    Remember also that these are people who got stranded on a desert island. It could be they were adventurers already sailing alone around the world. It could be they were put on the island by someone who didn't like them. It could be a reality tv show.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree