1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 May '16 05:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Doesn't make any sense?

It's mostly sand, not many trees (palm trees maybe), and little water.

Sounds like a desert to me.
    Desert Island does not just refer to those cartoon sand humps with one palm tree!
    It is because they are deserted.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 May '16 05:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Unless the desert island has women. πŸ™‚
    It helps if the women are also a bit loose. πŸ˜€
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 May '16 08:081 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Okay, a Buddhist, a Christian and an Atheist are each stranded by themselves on a remote desert island. (Hey, it could happen). There is sufficient food, fresh water and shelter to sustain life, but little chance of rescue.

Who would stay mentally strong the longest, and why?
    Are they on 3 separate islands or together by themselves, collectively, on one island?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '16 08:37
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are they on 3 separate islands or together by themselves, collectively, on one island?
    The 'each' in the OP suggests three separate islands (and most of us missed it). But there is no harm in answering the question for both situations. Although I still maintain that almost nothing can be said given the enormous variation in people. Its similar to asking which of the three will be the tallest. One could possibly do some statistical analysis and say the Buddhist will most likely be the shortest.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 May '16 12:03
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yes, three separate islands. (To exclude the possibility of collaboration from the analogy).

Twitehead is right of course, I over simplified in the OP and people are not that one dimensional. That said, a person's faith or lack of faith (generally speaking) would be a major factor I'd argue in how they'd cope with prolonged isolation and despair. But admittedly this would vary from person to person.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 May '16 12:09
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Desert Island does not just refer to those cartoon sand humps with one palm tree!
    It is because they are deserted.
    Yes, I see now that somehow, a "desert" island and a "deserted" island have become the same thing in the collective unconscious. Why this is, eludes me.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 May '16 12:14
    Yes, I see now that somehow, a "desert" island and a "deserted" island have become the same thing in the collective unconscious. Why this is, eludes me.
    "Desert Island" has always meant a remote tropical island that is uninhabited and has not meant anything else. It may have meant something different to you (for some reason that eludes you) and now you have been set straight, but I don't think you're entitled to claim that there has been some sort of change in "the collective unconscious". πŸ˜‰
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '16 12:16
    The words root refers to an abandoned place empty of people. Both desserts and dessert islands fit that description, but for different reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert#Etymology
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 May '16 13:03
    The words root refers to an abandoned place empty of people. Both desserts and dessert islands fit that description, but for different reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert#Etymology
    Meanwhile, back to the atheist....
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 May '16 13:22
    The 'each' in the OP suggests three separate islands (and most of us missed it). But there is no harm in answering the question for both situations. Although I still maintain that almost nothing can be said given the enormous variation in people. Its similar to asking which of the three will be the tallest. One could possibly do some statistical analysis and say the Buddhist will most likely be the shortest.
    It depends on so much:

Fitness, character, psychological resilience, knowledge of survival tactics, willingness to eat unpleasant foodstuffs to name a few.

There are many religionists I would not want to be trapped in a room with for more than 20 minutes let alone stranded on an island. Same goes for atheists I suppose.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 May '16 21:101 edit
    Huh!? I thought it was dessert island, you know, loaded with apple pies and ice cream and Black Forest chocolate cakes. There's a problem with that ??
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 May '16 21:151 edit
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Huh!? [b]I thought it was dessert island, you know, loaded with apple pies and ice cream and Black Forest chocolate cakes. There's a problem with that ??[/b]
    I was wondering when someone would use this joke. Took you long enough.

Next time a thread about dolphins is made, please respond with a "porpoise" pun in a more timely manner.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 May '16 22:03

That was sweet of you to elaborate.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 May '16 22:06
    It's mostly sand, not many trees (palm trees maybe), and little water.
    Sounds like a desert to me.
    I've seen Antarctica mentioned as the world's biggest desert. πŸ™„
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 May '16 22:23
    Originally posted by vivify
    I was wondering when someone would use this joke. Took you long enough.

Next time a thread about dolphins is made, please respond with a "porpoise" pun in a more timely manner.
    You're evidently not paying close enough attention πŸ˜›
    I made that joke already.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree