1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '18 05:20
    Posted by Peter Kennedy on Sunday May 6, 2018 under Devotions In Letters Of Peter

“Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation” – 1 Peter 2:2

One of the reasons Martin Luther came to his great discovery in the Bible of justification by faith alone was that in his early years in the Augustinian monastery he was influenced to love Scripture by Johann Staupitz. Luther devoured the Bible in a day when people earned doctorates in theology without even reading the Bible. Luther said that his fellow professor, Andreas Karlstadt, did not even own a Bible when he earned his doctor of theology degree, nor did he own one until many years later. Luther knew so much of the Bible from memory that when the Lord opened his eyes to see the truth of justification in Romans 1:17, he said, “Thereupon I ran through the Scriptures from memory,” in order to confirm what he had discovered.

All of us need to depend on God’s Word and to put the Word of God in loving action.

Today in prayer, praise Jesus for the Bible and spend some extra time today reading your Bible.

"Like Joseph storing up grain during the years of plenty to be used during the years of famine that lay ahead, may we store up the truths of God's Word in our hearts as much as possible, so that we are prepared for whatever suffering we are called upon to endure." - Billy Graham

God’s Word: “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” – Psalm 119:103

By Peter Kennedy, Copyright 2018, Devotional E-Mail
    DEVOTIONS LETTERS OF PETER
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '18 06:05
    Daily Devotionals
    by Peter Kennedy:

Devotional - Do Good

Posted by Peter Kennedy on Tuesday May 8, 2018 under Devotions In Letters Of Peter

“Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.” – 1 Peter 2:12

In 1868, a Methodist minister named Thomas Bowman Stephenson was moved by the fate of street children in London. He renovated a stable and established the first "Children's Home." Within a few years, the ministry grew and the Children’s Homes were divided into small family units run by a "house mother" and "house father." Children were also educated and apprenticed at different professions.

Today, the “Children’s Home” has become the nonprofit “Action for Children.” It is still committed to helping the United Kingdom’s vulnerable and neglected children. With over 650 projects and services, the charity works with over 300,000 children, young people, and their families. It helps and supports people in areas as diverse as disability respite therapy, foster care, adoption and child neglect.

The Lord wants you to do good so your life may shine for His glory. Today in prayer, ask Jesus what good works you can do to bring Christ glory.

“Do what good you can, and do it solely for God’s glory, as free from it yourself as though you did not exist.” – Meister Eckhart

God’s Word: “In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5:16

3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '18 06:10
    From Our Daily Bread:

The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body.—James 3:6

It wasn’t as simple as just crossing another river. By law, no Roman general could lead armed troops into Rome. So when Julius Caesar led his Thirteenth Legion across the Rubicon River and into Italy in 49 bc, it was an act of treason. The impact of Caesar’s decision was irreversible, generating years of civil war before Rome’s great general became absolute ruler. Still today, the phrase “crossing the Rubicon” is a metaphor for “passing the point of no return.”

Sometimes we can cross a relational Rubicon with the words we say to others. Once spoken, words can’t be taken back. They can either offer help and comfort or do damage that feels just as irreversible as Caesar’s march on Rome. James gave us another word picture about words when he said, “The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell” (James 3:6).

When we fear we have crossed a Rubicon with someone, we can seek their forgiveness—and God’s (Matthew 5:23-24; 1 John 1:9). But even better is to daily rest in God’s Spirit, hearing Paul’s challenge, “Let your conversation be always full of grace” (Colossians 4:6), so that our words will not only honor our Lord, but lift up and encourage those around us. —Bill Crowder

Lord, please guard my heart and my words today. May I speak only words that please You and bring health and healing to others.

Read What Do You Do with a Broken Relationship? at discoveryseries.org/q0703.

When words become weapons, our relationships soon become casualties.

INSIGHT: The very practical book of James contains much instruction about the wise use of our words:

“Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry” (1:19).

“Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless” (1:26).

“Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another” (4:11).

Why is James’s teaching to watch our words crucial for honoring God and people? Arthur Jackson
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 May '18 12:12
    Some things lie under our control
    and others not. Things we may
    control are opinion, pursuit, desire,
    aversion, and, in a word, whatever
    are our own actions.

Things far less in our control are
    body, property, reputation,
    command, and, in one word,
    whatever are not our own actions.
    What we can ourselves control are
    by nature free, unrestrained,
    unhindered; but those not in our
    control are weak, slavish, limited,
    and belong to others.

Remember, then, that if you
    wrongly suppose that things which
    are slavish by nature are also free,
    and that what belongs to others is
    your own, you will be hindered.
    You will lament, you will be
    disturbed, you will find fault both
    with the people about you and with
    the tools you use.

But if you rightly suppose those
    things are your own which are truly
    your own, and what belongs to
    others is not your own, then no one
    will be able to compel or hinder
    you.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '18 07:29
    Daily Devotionals
    by Peter Kennedy:

Devotional - Bless Others

Posted by Peter Kennedy on Thursday May 10, 2018 under Devotions In Letters Of Peter

“Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.” – 1 Peter 3:9

Mary Ann Bird was a freelance writer who wrote a column for the Foxboro (Massachusetts) Reporter. She wrote the following article on blessing others:

“I grew up knowing I was different. I hated it. I was born with a cleft palate. When I started school, my classmates made it clear how I looked to others. Little girl, misshapen lip, crooked nose, lopsided teeth, garbled speech. When schoolmates asked, 'What happened to your lip?' I'd tell them I'd fallen and cut it on a piece of glass. Somehow it seemed more acceptable to have suffered an accident than been born different. I was convinced nobody outside my family could love me.

Then there was a teacher in the second grade we adored, Mrs. Leonard. Annually we had a hearing test. Mrs. Leonard gave the test to everybody in the class. Finally, it was my turn. I knew from past years as we stood against the door and covered one ear, the teacher sitting at her desk would whisper, and we'd have to repeat it back, something like, 'The sky is blue' or 'Do you have new shoes?' I waited there for the words. God must have put in her mouth those seven words that changed my life. Mrs. Leonard said in a whisper, 'I wish you were my little girl.'”

The Lord blesses us for a purpose and asks us to bless others for His glory. Today in prayer, ask Jesus how you can bless others so they may experience His loving grace.

"Love when you expect no love in return. Do good without expecting thanks. Lend when you do not hope for a return. This will make us act like the sons and daughters of the Most High." - Henrietta Mears

God’s Word: “May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine on us” – Psalm 67:1

6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '18 07:34
    I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.—Psalm 3:5

As I continue trusting God through my struggles with chronic pain, even the simplest setback can feel like a fierce enemy attacker. Problem One jabs me from the right. Problem Two shoves me from behind. Problem Three punches me square in the nose. During these times, when my strength wanes and immediate relief evades me, running and hiding can seem like a good idea. But since I can’t escape my pain, change my circumstances, or ignore my emotions, I’m learning slowly to rely on God to carry me through.

When I need encouragement, comfort, and courage, I prayerfully read through the songs of the psalmists, who honestly bring their situations to God. In one of my favorite psalms, King David flees from Absalom, his son who wanted to kill him and take his kingdom. Though David lamented his painful situation (Psalm 3:1-2), he trusted God’s protection and expected Him to answer his prayers (vv. 3-4). The king didn’t lose sleep worrying or fearing what could happen, because he trusted God to sustain and save him (vv. 5-8).

Physical and emotional pain can often feel like aggressive adversaries. We may be tempted to give up or wish we could escape when we’re weary and can’t see the end of our current battle. But, like David, we can learn to trust that God will hold us up and help us rest in His constant and loving presence. —Xochitl Dixon

Lord, thanks for giving us rest in the peace of Your constant presence and assuring us of the victory You’ve already won.

God offers us peace as He holds us up and carries us through every trial.

INSIGHT: In addition to the Psalms, the New Testament has a lot to say about perseverance through trials. The book of Acts tells the account of the apostle Peter who was preparing to stand trial after being unjustly imprisoned by King Herod for eight days. Undoubtedly he would be executed. But Peter didn’t lose any sleep over his impending death. In fact “the night before Peter was to be placed on trial, he was asleep” (Acts 12:6 nlt). Peter experienced peace—peace that can come only through trusting God—because the church was earnestly praying for him (vv. 5, 12).

The apostle Paul wrote about tranquility in his letter to the Philippians: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7).

When we can’t sleep because we’re troubled by the trials of life, instead of counting sheep we can talk to our Good Shepherd. Jesus promised, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you” (John 14:27).

What worries keep you awake at night? Ask God to help you find the peace you need. K. T. Sim
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 May '18 08:06
    The Fool

I look at my card, it's that of a fool.
    Should I put this card back into the deck?
    Can I harness his power as my tool?

I try to keep my emotions in check.
    Will immaturity rule all my days?
    Should I put this card back into the deck?

Perhaps impulsive, the fool has his ways.
    Does my own journey lead to a bright place?
    Will immaturity rule all my days?

Sometimes it's hard, to look at my own face.
    I see untapped potential in my eyes.
    Does my own journey lead to a bright place?

I look with excitement and realize.
    Sometimes a fool doesn't have to pretend.
    I see untapped potential in my eyes.

Will I stop before I come to an end?
    I look at my card, it's that of a fool.
    Sometimes a fool doesn't have to pretend.
    I can harness his power as my tool!

By Richard Lamoureux
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '18 08:32
    Are You Ashamed of Jesus?

In the heartland of violent anti-Christian extremism, I was confronted with how openly and unashamedly Christians are displaying their allegiance to Jesus. Crosses are everywhere. They dangle from rear view mirrors. They hang on bracelets around wrists. They stand tall, fixed to the top of houses.

I encountered the most striking example on my second day. Less than 14km from the merciless armies of ISIS, I drove past a house that was painted inside and out with a mural of Jesus! That’s right – just minutes from people who wouldn't think twice about burning them alive, Christians were proudly choosing to communicate “I am with Him.”

I felt ashamed. I realised that while as a Christian in Australia I am at greater risk of being killed by a falling coconut than I am by an extremist, I am nowhere near this willing to be aligned with Jesus on a daily basis. In fact, outside of my time at church or with other Christians during the week, my words and actions (or lack of both) often don't declare “I'm proud to be with Him.”

Which is why these words of Jesus are so challenging:

”Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.” Luke 9:26

Ouch. This is right up there with Jesus’ heart-stopping “I never knew you” statement in Matthew 7:23. What a devastating feeling to hear these words from Jesus.

And yet, the optional “I’m with Jesus” statements made by our Middle Eastern brothers and sisters got me thinking – what does it look like to be ashamed of Jesus? How would this inner reality be demonstrated in my actions? How would I know if this was how I felt?

I came up with 13 examples – phrased as questions for me and you:

Am I ashamed to read the Bible on the train?

Am I ashamed to place a Bible on my desk at work?

Am I ashamed to pray with a brother or sister in public?

Am I ashamed to speak out on issues that matter to Jesus?

Am I ashamed to (ever) mention Jesus in a post on social media?

Am I ashamed to thank God when I announce the birth of my child?

Am I ashamed to select “Christian” in “Religious Views” on my Facebook profile?

Am I ashamed to mention the name “Jesus” when I am with people who aren't Christian?

Am I ashamed to thank God for my meal when when people who aren't Christians are present?

Am I ashamed to communicate my disapproval when a colleague or friend blasphemes the name of Jesus?

Am I ashamed to display of my faith in a way that would be visible to guests when they enter my home?

Am I ashamed to explain that the reason for my “goodness” (not swearing, being honest at work, etc.) is not because I am nice but because I love Jesus?

Am I ashamed to meet with other Christians in public gatherings outside of church (e.g. at the Christian group at university, or the lunchtime prayer meeting at work)?

You're probably thinking “I don't have to do these things. They don't make me a Christian. I'm no less of a Christian if I don't do them.”

And you are absolutely right. There is no Biblical command to have a Bible on your desk. You don't have to pray in the food court. You don't have to post regular updates on Facebook about your love for Jesus.

And you might even have good, godly reasons for not doing these things.

But if you don't do them, what is the reason why? Is there any truth, if you honestly examine your heart, that you are ashamed and embarrassed to be seen with Him?

Our brothers and sisters in Iraq don't have to display the cross in their cars, from their balconies, or on their wrists. They don't have to paint the “Nazarene” sign on their front doors. And in fact, given the risks of doing so, we would be quick to forgive them for keeping a low profile.

But they choose to do these things.

For them, being unashamed is so much more than standing firm on the day that ISIS arrive and demand to know if they follow Jesus. They choose to adopt these daily, public demonstrations of faith because they love Jesus and they are not ashamed or afraid to make this known.

What about you?

Jesus is not ashamed to call us his brothers and sisters (Hebrews 2:11). May we be unashamed to call him Lord.”

By Steven Kryger
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '18 05:18
    Come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.—Luke 19:5

Rima, a Syrian woman who had recently moved to the United States, tried to explain to her tutor with hand motions and limited English why she was upset. Tears trickled down her cheeks as she held up a beautifully arranged platter of fatayer (meat, cheese, and spinach pies) that she had made. Then she said, “One man,” and made a swishing sound as she pointed from the door to the living room and then back to the door. The tutor pieced together that several people from a nearby church were supposed to visit Rima and her family and bring some gifts. But only one man had shown up. He had hurried in, dropped off a box of items, and rushed out. He was busy taking care of a responsibility, while she and her family were lonely and longed for community and to share their fatayer with new friends.

Taking time for people is what Jesus was all about. He attended dinner parties, taught crowds, and took time for interaction with individuals. He even invited Himself to one man’s house. Zacchaeus, a tax collector, climbed a tree to see Him, and when Jesus looked up, He said, “Come down immediately. I must stay at your house today” (Luke 19:1-9). And Zacchaeus’s life was changed forever.

Because of other responsibilities, we won’t always be able to take the time. But when we do, we have a wonderful privilege of being with others and watching the Lord work through us. —Anne Cetas

How have others taken time for you? How might you show Jesus’s love to someone this week?

The best gift you can give to others may be your time.

INSIGHT: Jesus’s ministry is a remarkable contrast to our tendency to live a fast-paced life pulled in countless directions. Even though everyone needed Him, Jesus never seemed to rush. In Luke 8, while on the way to a dying child, Jesus lingers to heal a woman in the crowd (vv. 43-48), even though the child dies in the meantime (v. 49). Similarly, in John 11, after hearing His beloved friend was sick (v. 3), Jesus lingers (vv. 5-6). And in Luke 19, Jesus notices and takes the time to reach out to a man who had climbed a tree just to see Him (v. 4).

Jesus’s example reminds us that we don’t love others best through harried attempts to meet everyone’s needs, but rather when we’re fully present to those around us. Monica Brands
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 May '18 07:00
    Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam!
    Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam
    Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
    Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
    Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
    Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
    Lovely Spam! (Lovely Spam!)
    Lovely Spam! (Lovely Spam!)
    Lovely Spam!
    Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam!

YouTube
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '18 20:02
    From Joseph Prince (for a change of pace)...

He [God] made us accepted in the Beloved.
    Ephesians 1:6
    - MAY 12 -
    GOD IS WELL PLEASED WITH YOU, HIS BELOVED

Studies have shown that in the heart of every child is a cry for his father’s approval. Something happens when a father says to his boy, “Daddy is so proud of you.” Or when a father says to his girl, “You will always be Daddy’s favorite girl.”

You can catch such a similar special moment in the Bible when God the Father displayed His approval of His Son — “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” (Matthew 3:17) The Bible shows us that Jesus’ ministry began with the approval of the Father, even before He had performed any miracle.

Now, you may think that God would naturally say that of Jesus, but not of us. My friend, the truth is that Jesus came for us and as us. He died for us and as us. He received the approval of the Father for us and as us. He came as our representative. And if that is not enough, God tells us in His Word that we are “accepted in the Beloved”!

Why did God specifically say “accepted in the Beloved” and not simply “accepted in Christ”? I believe that it is because He is calling to our remembrance what had happened at the Jordan river where He said, “This is My Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” God wants us to know that we are His beloved and that He is well pleased with us.

God sees us as His beloved because He has made us accepted in the Beloved. He wants us to wake up every day knowing that we are His beloved, unconditionally loved and wholly approved.

The more we know how much we are loved and treasured by God, the more we can expect good things to happen in our lives. We can expect to be healthy and whole. When we realize that we are the objects of God’s love, instead of becoming easily frightened or threatened by anything or anyone, we become confident that we will win every fight of life.

That, my friend, is how your heavenly Father wants you to live. So live life today confident that you are God’s beloved!
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 May '18 20:081 edit
    Everyone knows about the super hero dudes
    the super cool who protect us from the bad and crudes
    Batman, Superman, Spiderman even Batgirl too
    they use their brains to outsmart villains and fools
    to bring justice and kindness to a world sometimes unkind
    well I searched all over the net trying to find
    a way to create a new man of evil
    and no it's not stuntman Evel Knievel

I call him Idiot Man and he lives up to his billing
    he writes words of assnine stupidity completely filling
    an entire page and more of ideas that are dumb
    when he should be in the corner sucking his thumb
    he cant recognize beauty when it's right there in sight
    he doesn't know how to apologize to set things right
    I guess it's hard to find a graceful way out
    when you have left absolutely no doubt
    that you are in fact Idiot Man

David Nelson
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '18 20:321 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Everyone knows about the super hero dudes
    the super cool who protect us from the bad and crudes
    Batman, Superman, Spiderman even Batgirl too
    they use their brains to outsmart villains and fools
    to bring justice and kindness to a world sometimes unkind
    well I searched all over the net trying to find
    a way to create a new man of evil
    and no it's ...[text shortened]... ay out
    when you have left absolutely no doubt
    that you are in fact Idiot Man

David Nelson
    Not surprised by what you’re doing. What a pity you feel the need to suck up to atheists and Christ deniers.

But when you’re ashamed of believing in the deity and Resurrection of Jesus Christ as you seem to be, I suppose the wink, wink, nudge, nudge routine you engage in with atheists and Christ deniers is your way of playing both sides and alleviating the embarrassment and shame you feel for believing in Jesus.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 May '18 04:36
    A fool, a fool! I met a fool i' th' forest,
    A motley fool. A miserable world!
    As I do live by food, I met a fool,
    Who laid him down and bask'd him in the sun,
    And rail'd on Lady Fortune in good terms,
    In good set terms- and yet a motley fool.
    'Good morrow, fool,' quoth I; 'No, sir,' quoth he,
    'Call me not fool till heaven hath sent me fortune.'
    And then he drew a dial from his poke,
    And, looking on it with lack-lustre eye,
    Says very wisely, 'It is ten o'clock;
    Thus we may see,' quoth he, 'how the world wags;
    'Tis but an hour ago since it was nine;
    And after one hour more 'twill be eleven;
    And so, from hour to hour, we ripe and ripe,
    And then, from hour to hour, we rot and rot;
    And thereby hangs a tale.' When I did hear
    The motley fool thus moral on the time,
    My lungs began to crow like chanticleer
    That fools should be so deep contemplative;
    And I did laugh sans intermission
    An hour by his dial. O noble fool!
    A worthy fool! Motley's the only wear.

As You Like It
    William Shakespeare
    Act 2 scene 7
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 May '18 04:40
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    When I did hear
    The motley fool thus moral on the time,
    My lungs began to crow like chanticleer
    That fools should be so deep contemplative;
    And I did laugh sans intermission
    An hour by his dial.
    😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree