As long as we’re doing song lyrics, this is my favorite hymn:

“Great is Thy faithfulness,” O God my Father,
    There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
    Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
    As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.
    “Great is Thy faithfulness!” “Great is Thy faithfulness!”
    Morning by morning new mercies I see;
    All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
    “Great is Thy faithfulness,” Lord, unto me!
    Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
    Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
    Join with all nature in manifold witness
    To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.
    Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
    Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
    Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
    Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '18 10:221 edit
    “Teldar Paper, Mr. Cromwell, Teldar Paper has 33 different vice presidents each earning over 200 thousand dollars a year. Now, I have spent the last two months analyzing what all these guys do, and I still can’t figure it out. One thing I do know is that our paper company lost 110 million dollars last year, and I’ll bet that half of that was spent in all the paperwork going back and forth between all these vice presidents.

The new law of evolution in corporate America seems to be survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book you either do it right or you get eliminated. In the last seven deals that I’ve been involved with, there were 2.5 million stockholders who have made a pretax profit of 12 billion dollars. Thank you. I am not a destroyer of companies. I am a liberator of them!

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Thank you very much.”

Gordon Gekko’s ‘devotional’ speech to the shareholders of Teldar Paper.

Wall Street 1987
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '18 10:32
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    “Teldar Paper, Mr. Cromwell, Teldar Paper has 33 different vice presidents each earning over 200 thousand dollars a year. Now, I have spent the last two months analyzing what all these guys do, and I still can’t figure it out. One thing I do know is that our paper company lost 110 million dollars last year, and I’ll bet that half of that was spent in al ...[text shortened]...

Gordon Gekko’s ‘devotional’ speech to the shareholders of Teldar Paper.

Wall Street 1987
    What a pity you disrespect the Scriptures and Christianity to the extent you do. And all to gain the approval of atheist trolls.

You have no self respect, dive. And that’s the most honest and serious thing I’ll ever say to you.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '18 10:54
    I wandered lonely as a cloud
    That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
    When all at once I saw a crowd,
    A host, of golden daffodils;
    Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
    Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
    And twinkle on the milky way,
    They stretched in never-ending line
    Along the margin of a bay:
    Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
    Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
    Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
    A poet could not but be gay,
    In such a jocund company:
    I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
    What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
    In vacant or in pensive mood,
    They flash upon that inward eye
    Which is the bliss of solitude;
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils

WILLIAM WORDSWORTH
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '18 05:01
    You are what you post and I’d say you are in your early twenties at most. Probably still a virgin, and secretly lust over the girls at church who find it hard to hide their loathing of you.

How close?
    This wasn’t very nice, dive.

And you’re not close at all.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '18 05:39
    In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.—Psalm 4:8

What keeps you awake at night? Lately I’ve been losing sleep, tossing and turning on my bed, trying to work out a solution to an issue.

Eventually I begin fretting about not getting enough rest to handle the challenges of the next day!

Sound familiar? Troubled relationships, an uncertain future, whatever it is—we all give in to worry at one point or another.

King David was clearly in distress when he penned Psalm 4. People were ruining his reputation with groundless accusations (v. 2). And some were questioning his competency to rule (v. 6). David probably felt angry for being treated so unfairly. Surely he could have spent nights stewing about it. Yet we read these remarkable words: “In peace I will lie down and sleep” (v. 8).

Charles Spurgeon explains verse 8 beautifully: “In thus lying down, . . . [David] resigned himself into the hands of another; he did so completely, for in the absence of all care, he slept; there was here a perfect trust.” What inspired this trust? From the start, David was confident that God would answer his prayers (v. 3). And he was sure that since God had chosen to love him, He would lovingly meet his needs.

May God help us to rest in His power and presence when worries threaten. In His sovereign and loving arms, we can “lie down and sleep.” —Poh Fang Chia

Dear Father, thank You for hearing me when I call. I surrender my worries to You and rest in Your power and presence.

We can entrust our cares to a wholly trustworthy God.

INSIGHT: David’s confident assurance of God’s care was the source of his ability to rest, and this theme of rest winds its way throughout the psalms. In Psalm 46:10 the psalmist says, “Be still, and know that I am God.” The phrase be still can be translated “relax.” It’s as if God is counseling the psalmist, “I’ve got this. Take it easy.” In the shepherd’s psalm, David reminds us, “He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters” (Psalm 23:2). What a wonderful picture of rest—and the source of that rest is the God in whom we confidently trust. This enabled one psalmist to share: “Return to your rest, my soul, for the Lord has been good to you” (Psalm 116:7). Our ability to rest is directly related to our confidence in the Father’s love, care, and concern for us. So in times of anxiety and stress the child of God can look to the Father and know He’s got this. We can be at rest!

What can you entrust to God’s care? Bill Crowder
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '18 07:37
    Daily Devotionals
    by Peter Kennedy:

Devotional - Suffering Refines Our Faith

Posted by Peter Kennedy on Monday May 21, 2018 under Devotions In Letters Of Peter

“And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.” – 1 Peter 5:10

Pastor Josef Tson was arrested and imprisoned several times in Romania during the 1970s and charged with being a Christian minister. Each time he underwent several weeks of intense interrogation, beatings and mind games before finally being exiled from the country in 1981.

It was in this climate that he began to understand the "theology of martyrdom," which later became the subject of his book, “Suffering, Martyrdom and Rewards in Heaven.” From a practical standpoint, Tson said his imprisonment helped him form a clearer view of the biblical response to persecution.

“When the secret police officer threatened to kill me, to shoot me, I smiled and I said, 'Sir, don't you understand that when you kill me you send me to glory? You cannot threaten me with glory.’ The more suffering, the more troubles, the greater the glory. So, why say, 'Stop this trouble’? Because the more [suffering], the greater the glory up there.”

During one particularly harrowing session of interrogation, Tson told his inquisitors that spilling his blood would only serve to water the growth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Part of the theology of suffering, he learned, was that tribulation is never an accident but is part of God’s sovereign plan for building His church.

“I told the interrogator, ‘You should know your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying,’” Tson said.

“‘Now here is how it works, sir: You know that my sermons are on tape all over the country. When you shoot me or crush me, whichever way you choose, [you] only sprinkle my sermons with my blood. Everybody who has a tape of one of my sermons will pick it up and say, ‘I had better listen again. This man died for what he preached.’ Sir, my sermons will speak 10 times louder after you kill me and because you kill me. In fact, I will conquer this country for God because you killed me. Go on and do it.’

“Dying for the Lord is not an accident. It’s not a tragedy. It’s part of the job. It’s part of the ministry. And it’s the greatest way of preaching.”

Tson has been president of the Romanian Missionary Society since 1982 and is pastor of the Baptist Church in Brasov, Romania.

Suffering is never pleasant, but it refines us and draws us closer to Christ. Today in prayer, pray for those who are suffering that their faith in Jesus may increase.

"Suffering can never ultimately be meaningless, because God himself has shared it." - Philip Yancey

God’s Word: “Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.” – Romans 8:17

By Peter Kennedy, Copyright 2018, Devotional E-Mail
    DEVOTIONS LETTERS OF PETER
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 06:41
    From Our Daily Bread:

“Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.—Psalm 62:8

My father died at 58 years of age. Ever since then, I pause on the date he died to remember Dad and reflect on his influence in my life. When I realized I had lived more of life without my dad than with him, I began pondering the brevity of my own life.

On reflection, we may wrestle with both an event in time and the feelings it stirs within us. Though we measure time with clocks and calendars, we remember times because of events. In the moments of life that trigger our deepest emotions, we can experience joy, loss, blessing, pain, success, failure.

The Scriptures encourage us: “Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge” (Psalm 62:8). This confident statement did not occur in a time of ease. David wrote these words while surrounded by enemies (vv. 3-4). Still, he waited quietly before God (vv. 1, 5) reminding us that God’s unfailing love (v. 12) is greater than any of the times of struggle we may face.

In every event, we have this confidence: Our God stands with us, and He is more than adequate to carry us through all of life’s moments. When the times of life threaten to overwhelm us, His help will be right on time. —Bill Crowder

We’re grateful that You are always and will always be faithful to us, Father.

Listen to the Discover the Word series, “Remembering Who God Is” at discovertheword.org/series/remembering-who-god-is/.

Our God is ready to be with us in all the times of life.

INSIGHT: Slowing down to consider what Psalm 62 tells us (or at least implies) about the situation that prompted the psalmist to write it can deepen our understanding of God. It helps us internalize the psalm’s teaching in a way that transforms us rather than simply informs us. These are not the blissful words of reflection from an untroubled soul. David writes from the tired depths of someone maligned and assaulted.

Saying that hope comes from the Lord is simple when hope is a luxury. To say that you will not be shaken when even your friends are secretly cursing you (v. 4) is an expression of trust before, during, and after all other hopes have failed.

How can you express hope in God? J.R. Hudberg”
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 07:09
    Daily Devotionals
    by Peter Kennedy:

Devotional - Seeking Pleasure Is Meaningless

Posted by Peter Kennedy on Monday Jun 4, 2018 under DEVOTIONS IN ECCLESIASTES & SONG OF SONGS

"I thought in my heart, "Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good." But that also proved to be meaningless." - Ecclesiastes 2:1

Edie Mayer Goetz was the daughter of MGM founder Louis B. Mayer. She married Hollywood producer William Gotz and together bought a storied estate. Their mansion was "the best address in town," hosting dinners and extravagant parties for Hollywood's rich and famous. It was considered the center of the Hollywood social scene. For three decades Edie threw parties that included stars Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Judy Garland, Rosalind Russell, Bill Wilder, and Frank Sinatra.

Those fortunate enough to score an invitation to one of the couple’s lavish parties were reportedly shown pre-release films in the private screening room.

Oscar-winning director Billy Wilder once said: "The highest accolade for someone coming into this town was to be invited to the Goetzes—they had the best food, the best people, and the best things on walls," referring to the couple’s incredible art collection.

But after William Goetz died in 1969, Edie stopped giving lavish parties.

She lamented to her husband’s secretary Sonya Gilbert, that her "life was over now that he's gone, I’m finished.”

Seeking pleasure does not bring fulfillment; that can only come through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Today in prayer, thank Christ that in Him we can find contentment in all circumstances.

"I sometimes wonder whether all pleasures are not substitutes for joy." - C.S. Lewis

God's Word: "He who loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and oil will never be rich." - Proverbs 21:17

By Peter Kennedy, Copyright 2018, Devotional E-Mail

DEVOTIONS IN ECCLESIASTES & SONG OF SONGS
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 07:45
    trololo lolol lolol

YouTube
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 07:49
    trololo lolol lolol

[youtube]o1eHKf-dMwo[/youtube]
    It seems Tiger is about as bored as the tea boy at my school, during Ramadan.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 21:19
    This is the self-preservation society

Go wash your German bands, your boat race too
    Comb your Barnet Fair we got a lot to do
    Put on your Dickie Dirt and your Peckham Rye
    Cause time's soon hurrying by

Get your skates on mate, get your skates on mate
    No bib around your Gregory Peck today, eh?
    Drop your plates of meat right up on the seat

Gotta get a bloomin move on
    Babadab-babadabadab-bab-ba
    Babadab-babadabadab-bab-ba
    Jump in the jam jar gotta get straight
    Hurry up mate – don't wanna be late
    How's your father?
    Tickety boo
    Tickety boo

Self-preservation society
    Put on your almond rocks and daisy roots
    Wash your Hampstead Heath and wear your whistle and flute
    Lots of lah-di-dahs and cockneys here
    Look alive and get out of here

So get your skates on mate, get your skates on mate
    Drop your plates of meat right up on the seat

13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jun '18 06:29

Drop your pla ...[text shortened]... t up on the seat

I bet the atheists think this post was really cool, dive. How soon after you said your prayers and spoke with Jesus did you decide to post it?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Jun '18 06:36

Drop your pla ...[text shortened]... t up on the seat

Cool post.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jun '18 06:50
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Cool post.
    LOL

Good one, Heartpence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree