1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 May '14 08:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    As often happens, the casual uninformed reader sees the one tenth tip of the nine tenths iceberg below. We began playing chess games here during my lengthy convalescence in 2011. I've learned a lot from sonhouse and consider him a friend.
    A friend that needs to repent of his sins and turn to God for forgiveness?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '14 08:54
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If not, how could he look human?
    no
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 May '14 10:04
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    no
    Kelly
    This is classic stupidity; the answer in no way answers the question;
    it's like "What is you favourite colour?"
    Answer: "Rhubarb"

The question was : If not, how could he look human?
    Kelly: "no"
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 May '14 10:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The very idea that a god would look like a human is ludicrous.
    if you want to ridicule something, at least do your research. first of all human's were created in god's image. if anything we look godly.
    second, and most important, nobody says "created in god's image" means we were made to look like him, but instead it means we have god-like attributes like reason, self-awareness, etc.

the white blue eyed hippy you see painted on churches is just painters portraying the man that was jesus so that the flock feels closer to him. we have asian jesuses in churches, black jesuses (which is probably way closer to the actual persona).

the bearded white granpa that is god is simply painters anthropomorphising an idea in order to paint something and make it look pretty. how would you paint love or hate or fear?

in short, of all the shortcomings of religion, you now complain about the least important of them all. are you scraping the bottom of the barrel?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 May '14 12:05
    As often happens, the casual uninformed reader sees the one tenth tip of the nine tenths iceberg below. We began playing chess games here during my lengthy convalescence in 2011. I've learned a lot from sonhouse and consider him a friend.
    "one tenth tip of the nine tenths iceberg below" ... that would be 0.09 then?

I'm sure Sonhouse is not that desperate for friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 May '14 12:06
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    if you want to ridicule something, at least do your research. first of all human's were created in god's image.
    Doesn't that mean that your god looks like us?
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 May '14 13:34
    sonhouse has an exceptional and multi faceted intelligence and the global experience to go with it.
    Agreed. Whether you agree with Sonhouse or not, idiocy is something you can't accuse him of.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 May '14 13:36
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Doesn't that mean that your god looks like us?
    there is a subtlety here.

you can't complain that it is stupid to think the supreme being looks like ordinary people when the story says we were created after god. so its not god that looks human, it is humans that are godly.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 May '14 13:55

you can't complain that it is stupid to think the supreme being looks like ordinary people when the story says we were created after god. so its not god that looks human, it is humans that are godly.
    I am talking about the human attributes attached to the Jewish god which has morphed into Christianity and Islam.

'I am a jealous god' and so forth. These are, in my humble opinion, NOT something a real god would EVER say, considering such a god allegedly can call in whole universes at its whim. I say its because it would probably not be biological at all and therefore would have no use for genderifcation or any other human attribute.

Therefore these attributes were just made up by the early writers in order to project boogy men, instill fear into the natives for the purposes of control.

And in my opinion, as most of the original writers were men, set things up in such a way as to make the population think women were second class and that is exactly how it has come down the generations now, thousands of years of second classness engendered in stone in the bible with Leviticus verses in 27, like the one that says women are worth 30 shekels and a man 50 shekels. That is written in stone and as people are duped by the billions into thinking these verses were written by a god, they set the stage for thousands of years of gender bias.

I see no other interpretation of these facts.
  10. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    15 May '14 14:051 edit

There is no subtlety here. You are making a distinction without a difference. It is logically consistent to say that if A is similar to B, then B is similar to A. There is absolutely no difference in the information provided between the statements: "man looks like god" and "god looks like man." In both cases, we know what man looks like, and therefore we make a conclusion about what god looks like.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '14 17:31
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    A friend that needs to repent of his sins and turn to God for forgiveness?
    The spiritual status of a man is between him and God. We look on outward appearances; He reads the fine print of our souls.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '14 17:36
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    "one tenth tip of the nine tenths iceberg below" ... that would be 0.09 then?

I'm sure Sonhouse is not that desperate for friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your opinion is based on raw ignorance; you haven't a clue how much contact with him meant to me in 2011 and since.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '14 17:43
    Originally posted by vivify
    Agreed. Whether you agree with Sonhouse or not, idiocy is something you can't accuse him of.
    Thanks for your objective and unemotional focus, vivify. Some days online this conversational virtue seems to be rare.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 May '14 20:062 edits
    Your 'behind the scenes' relationship with with a forum member IS the 1/100th of the exposure that person gets. That you, as one of the thousands on people on this website, consider one of those thousands a friend is virtually irrelevant to their public online persona which they choose to display to the masses. It is your perspective that needs to shift not mine.

Edit: having said that I'm sure sonhouse IS a good guy irl.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '14 21:16
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Your 'behind the scenes' relationship with with a forum member IS the 1/100th of the exposure that person gets. That you, as one of the thousands on people on this website, consider one of those thousands a friend is virtually irrelevant to their public online persona which they choose to display to the masses. It is your perspective that needs to shift not mine.

Edit: having said that I'm sure sonhouse IS a good guy irl.
    Thanks for your reply.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree