1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Dec '05 09:57
    Originally posted by fooey
    Human nature also encompasses a truly scary ability to believe absolute nonsense through an urge to belong.
    What in your opinion is the cause for this "urge to belong"?
  2. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '05 10:10
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I was reading a passage that Flexmore posted from Wikipedia on Yuz Asaf (Jesus) suggesting that after the crucifixion moved to India, where he died at a great age.

Is it plausible that Jesus actually existed as a man, possibly a heretic claiming to be a prophet, was sentenced to death by crucifixion, but was either rescued or escaped. Jesus, may, af ...[text shortened]... ack from the dead' being more a figure of speach rather than the absolute truth.

Any takers?
    Not me....go back to Scotland.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Dec '05 10:49
    Originally posted by windmill
    Not me....go back to Scotland.
    Oh, that's nice! We were having such a great coversation the other day too!!! 😉
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Dec '05 10:50
    Originally posted by Halitose
    What in your opinion is the cause for this "urge to belong"?
    I guess insecurity might be one. Some people are just brought up believing. You know what they say 'give me a boy of 5 and i give you the man'.
  5. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '05 11:23
    Oh, that's nice! We were having such a great coversation the other day too!!! 😉
    lol...you can stay.I'm part scottish myself.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Dec '05 17:47
    I guess insecurity might be one. Some people are just brought up believing. You know what they say 'give me a boy of 5 and i give you the man'.
    Well sure. I was just wondering which natural process of the human nature is responsible for insecurity.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Dec '05 22:01
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Well sure. I was just wondering which natural process of the human nature is responsible for insecurity.
    I would think the main ways for inspiring insecurity in people are fear and doubt. People fear dying, they prefer a scenario where death is not to be feared - must more pleasant. Knowledge, especially of ones own mortality, can inspire people to great depression - I've seen it in some of my own athiest friends - they can't see anything to live for because they believe life to be futile. I, on the other hand, chose to live for the fun of it - beats the hell out of dying.

Other 'uses' of faith are to explain things that aren't easily explainable or to which we don't know the answer. When I was a child and asked my mum why the sky was blue, well, let's just say my mum isn't the sharpest tool in the box (but you've gotta love 'em though), it was far easier for her to turn to the supernatural as an explaination, because she didn't know the answer and it makes her feel better about life to think that it means something.

Other people, of course, use their religion for other purposes - some people use it to justify their hatred, whilst others use it as a philosophical tool to learn more about themselves. Each man to his own I suppose....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree