1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    04 May '09 10:38
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    <<does this mean that God is unknowable? hardly, for the scriptures themselves state! >>

what is so hard here? You seem almost sane -- you can play chess.

So you know that several moves follow from one move. If this, then that .. and so on.

Yet you cite to me the idea that the "scriptures themselves" are probative of anything whatever?

they are ...[text shortened]... - allegorical fantasy.

You insult your own and my intelligence with this kind of silliness.
    "Sanity" is just the delusion that whatever is related to one's Experience drives him solely to a single and uinique product that it has to be accepted as Absolute Truth -and, sure thing, I leave aside the fact that Experience itself is the agent that contributes the most to the false impression that "Self" exists😡

On the other hand, I am sure that it is not necessary for the human to be "sane" in order to play chess; "sanity" in Chess is just the ability of the chessplayer to control himself, to ponder over specific objectives and abstract issues alike, to control his will, to know at which parameters he has to pay attention at a specific position, to understand the dynamics of the position and to be able to apply his knowledge and his fantasy in order to gain specific advantages. Of course the chessplayer will always try to establish good health, patience and understanding of the crucial aspects of the position. Also he will try to develop strong memory and high IQ/ EQ regarding the specific requirements of the Immortal Game, he will work hard in order to establish high self respect, he will control his mental and sentimental impulse and he will try to develop a sharp ability to create differ syntheses related to the very position and his very personal way of approaching this exact position.
    I think that this is the mental and sentimental backround of the chessplayer, therefore this is the quality of his "sanity" -and this is the reason why many Masters were "insane" whilst sane in full and original on the chessboard they remained😡
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '09 12:261 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Your contemptuousness and arrogance stifle any insight you may have
    Lol, he doesn't really mean it in a personal sense, his mums family is Scottish, we have made a culture of this type of banter, which thankfully, because of our egalitarian sensibilities, its impossible for us to take it personally, for it was never intended as such, hes an excellent character really, modeled his life on the famous editor of the Bugle, Jonah Jamison, and hes correct about being old, i turned forty, on 1st May, help me, i am subject to the rigors of time, we all are, I want to be outside of time ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! im melting!
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 May '09 12:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Lol, he doesn't really mean it in a personal sense, his mums family is Scottish, we have made a culture of this type of banter, which thankfully, because of our egalitarian sensibilities, its impossible for us to take it personally, for it was never intended as such, hes an excellent character really, modeled his life on the famous editor of the Bug ...[text shortened]... the rigors of time, we all are, I want to be outside of time ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! im melting!
    Looking at your avatar, I cannot believe you're only 40 years of age...
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '09 12:413 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Looking at your avatar, I cannot believe you're only 40 years of age...
    Lol, what do you mean only, gulp my goodness, my only comfort is the fact that i was born in the same year as Viswanathan Anand, 1969, the summer of love , dont you know, a vintage year for chess geniuses!πŸ˜‰
  5. Maryland
    Moves
    04 May '09 16:20
    Still no one has reported direct knowldge of god
  6. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    04 May '09 17:15
    Your contemptuousness and arrogance stifle any insight you may have
    a term of endearment btw robbie and me -- butt out
  7. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    04 May '09 17:18
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Still no one has reported direct knowldge of god
    a better question might be whether any such knowledge is even possible or empirically verifiable.

Moses saw a burning bush and a voice came out of it -- I could do a lot with that idea, but it wouldn't be suitable for a family channel.
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 May '09 19:461 edit
    for crying out loud -- do you even hear yourself?

this nonsense about prophecy is just about the last straw -- you are insane if you actually represent this as reality.

the version of the book you refer to has been systematically revised, translated again and again, and by people who have the same interest as you do, to prove it valid and thus use it nd illness.

I wouldn't trust you to testify on the stand as to what you had for breakfast.
    It is noticed that you did not answer the question.

You ignored it (concerning the "coincidence" of the landing of the ark on dry land on the day of Christ's resurrection).

Even if both were fictional accounts you still did not address it.

Oh well, do the best you can. One more empty little skeptic probably won't hurt the progress of the Gospel for these two millennia.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 May '09 20:06
    Lol, what do you mean only, gulp my goodness, my only comfort is the fact that i was born in the same year as Viswanathan Anand, 1969, the summer of love , dont you know, a vintage year for chess geniuses!πŸ˜‰
    Perhaps it wasn't your avatar (the blue one) I was referring to, but your profile picture, your black and white picture with the text "Shall we finish our game?". You look older there than your 40 years. πŸ™‚
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '09 20:453 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Perhaps it wasn't your avatar (the blue one) I was referring to, but your profile picture, your black and white picture with the text "Shall we finish our game?". You look older there than your 40 years. πŸ™‚
    the Blue avatar as you are probably aware Fabian is a very famous piece by Henri Matisse, portrayal of the ancient Greek character Icarus, who, because of the exhilarating sensation of flight and the resultant freedom which ensued, got carried away, forgot his limitations, and reaching for the stars came crashing back to earth! who cannot empathize with such a character?

but the picture that interests you my friend is the noble knight from Inger Bergmans famous masterpiece, The Seventh Seal.

He has spent most of his life in vanity, pursuing unrealities, yet despite what he terms, 'miracles and vague promises', Christ to him is a maddening reality, he simply seeks confirmation of this, something tangible.

Yet he does not despise himself for his vanity, for he estimates that most men, in like manner have spent their life in vanity, but he seeks one purposeful act! to play Death himself at chess, in order for a young family to be spared his same fate! Is it not awesome?πŸ™‚
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 May '09 21:41
    a term of endearment btw robbie and me -- butt out
    My apologies scriabin, for my misinterpretation of your comment about robbie.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '09 22:07
    My apologies scriabin, for my misinterpretation of your comment about robbie.
    don't apologize, tell him to get lost! it a term of endearment!πŸ˜€
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 May '09 22:14
    don't apologize, tell him to get lost! it a term of endearment!πŸ˜€
    s, not z in apologise.

None of this American-English muck squire.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '09 22:24
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    s, not z in apologise.

None of this American-English muck squire.
    its my spell checker my friend, its a Yankee spellchecker! i would really like a proper English version for Firefox!
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 May '09 04:18
    the Blue avatar as you are probably aware Fabian is a very famous piece by Henri Matisse, portrayal of the ancient Greek character Icarus, who, because of the exhilarating sensation of flight and the resultant freedom which ensued, got carried away, forgot his limitations, and reaching for the stars came crashing back to earth! who cannot empathize ...[text shortened]... imself at chess, in order for a young family to be spared his same fate! Is it not awesome?πŸ™‚
    My strength is not in art. I recognized the Bergman film poster, but I had no idea that you were the model for it...?

Thank you for the information background of Matisse and his blue painting. πŸ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree