@whodey said
    2 Corinthians 6:14
    Does this supercede 1 Corinthians 7?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 00:51
    @whodey said
    I think it safe to assume he has found someone else, no?
    If I had wanted to introduce this assumption into the question I have asked, I would have done so. How "safe" you feel being a dick online is irrelevant.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 01:17
    @fmf said
    If I had wanted to introduce this assumption into the question I have asked, I would have done so. How "safe" you feel being a dick online is irrelevant.
    Just being real

Do you really think the guy gave up women?

Really?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 01:211 edit
    @whodey said
    Just being real

Really?
    If infidelity was part of the scenario, I would have mentioned it. You have no need to embellish or add to what I said in the OP which is about real people, whodey. Whether or not you "think the guy gave up women" is not the issue. Start a thread about infidelity and divorce if you want. The question here is about 1 Corinthians 7 verses 12-16.
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 04:07
    @whodey said
    2 Corinthians 6:14

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

Its just good common sense really. Whatever makes you tick, you best share it with whom you marry.
    Right, so there is Biblical grounds to tell people to not get married to unbelievers in that way...

But there are many people who believe that the phrase unequally yoked does not refer to the relationship with an unbeliever itself rendering you unequally yoked, but refers to the concept of being unequally yoked being the problem.

To be equally yoked with a non-believer is funny.

Paul is warning them to not enter into a relationship where you are made into a sort of subordinate or powerless person below a non-believer.

This site says that, at least, and I believe it is actually Protestant:

https://bible-truths.com/yoked.htm
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 06:07
    @philokalia said:

“But there are many people who believe that the phrase unequally yoked does not refer to the relationship with an unbeliever itself rendering you unequally yoked, but refers to the concept of being unequally yoked being the problem.”

So a believer and an unbeliever can be “equally yoked”?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 06:09
    @whodey said
    Just being real

Really?
    Why can’t you just answer the question instead being a twit?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 06:101 edit
    @fmf said
    If infidelity was part of the scenario, I would have mentioned it. You have no need to embellish or add to what I said in the OP which is about real people, whodey. Whether or not you "think the guy gave up women" is not the issue. Start a thread about infidelity and divorce if you want. The question here is about 1 Corinthians 7 verses 12-16.
    It’s abandonment, isn’t it. Is there something I’m missing?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 06:311 edit
    @divegeester said
    It’s abandonment, isn’t it. Is there something I’m missing?
    He texts every day to wish his wife and his children his love and tells them he will be home soon and asks them to pray for him in the hope that whatever the latest hairbrained "dead cert" scheme he's involved in in the capital city is going to be The One [which will settle all the debts from shady people that drove him away from his home town and allow them all to sit pretty thereon] and he doesn't want a divorce [although that is a civil matter and not a religious one] and my friend, the wife, the Protestant Christian, is deeply conflicted because she wants to move on while also having a bit of a "Catholic" attitude to divorce, if you know what I mean.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 06:39
    @fmf said
    She wants to divorce but wants to do it with her [Protestant] church's blessing.
    In this culture, women are very often simply expected to endure dysfunctional marriages and they will be widely perceived to have been at fault if they do divorce, regardless of the facts. She's a civil servant too, and being a divorcee can count against her for the purposes of her career arc, and her children [14, 17 and 21 years old, all staunch Christians] don't like the idea of her divorcing... so the least she can do is seek her church's and her pastor's blessing.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 06:481 edit
    @fmf said
    He texts every day to wish his wife and his children his love and tells them he will be home soon and asks them to pray for him in the hope that whatever the latest hairbrained "dead cert" scheme he's involved in in the capital city is going to be The One [which will settle all the debts from shady people that drove him away from his home town and allow them all to sit pretty the ...[text shortened]... nts to move on while also having a bit of a "Catholic" attitude to divorce, if you know what I mean.
    It’s abandonment in my opinion. But she is obviously in a difficult situation. I would encourage her to create an ultimatum for him. If the church will not support her then she should consider leaving it/them and rely on friends such as yourself for moral and practical support.

Easy for me to say, I know.
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 07:04
    So he doesn't want to get divorced and claims that he is not sending money due to his failures at gaining money.

If he is lying, or this is more to this story, maybe the grounds exist for divorce, but at this point... it seems less likely that this is what needs to be done.

Interesting scenario, though.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 07:06
    @divegeester said
    @philokalia said:

“But there are many people who believe that the phrase unequally yoked does not refer to the relationship with an unbeliever itself rendering you unequally yoked, but refers to the concept of being unequally yoked being the problem.”

So a believer and an unbeliever can be “equally yoked”?
    Sure.

Imagine a friendship where neither party has any debt or intention of accruing debt.

Imagine a job or business deal with a thorough contract both parties find fair.

Or even imagine a marriage that is made on the grounds of allowing for the attendance of church and baptism of children with an unbeleiver, no exchanges of dowries or resources and a general equality of gender, etc...

I think unequally yoked would involve putting yourself in a position where you have the lower hand (or the upper hand, theoertically) with a nonbeliever.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 07:23
    @philokalia said
    If he is lying, or this is more to this story, maybe the grounds exist for divorce, but at this point... it seems less likely that this is what needs to be done.
    So, based on what I have said, you don't think 1 Corinthians 7 applies?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 08:26
    @philokalia said
    So he doesn't want to get divorced and claims that he is not sending money due to his failures at gaining money.

Interesting scenario, though.
    Who are you replying to?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree