1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 10:251 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Your paraphrasing bears no relation to what I actually say.

Twhitehead is correct in saying that there are [multiple] meanings people have when they use the
    words atheist and agnostic.

My argument is that some/many of them are wrong. Often because of sustained long term propaganda
    from theists [Christians] who deliberately promote definitions t ...[text shortened]... accurate and [yes] correct definition.

So, no, your caricature of my position is not correct.
    So do you believe that people calling themselves "agnostic" are really "atheist" or that they are actually "agnostic"?

You're so eager to always prove me wrong that you always trample all over whatever I say, just to naysay me.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 11:19
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So do you believe that people calling themselves "agnostic" are really "atheist" or that they are actually "agnostic"?

You're so eager to always prove me wrong that you always trample all over whatever I say, just to naysay me.
    If someone lacks a belief in the existence of a god or gods, then they are by definition an atheist.

Most, if not all, people who call themselves 'agnostics' lack a belief in god/s, and are thus ALSO atheists.

An agnostic is a person who claims not to know if a god or gods exist, and/or claims that it cannot be known
    if a god or gods exist. As belief is semi-independent of knowledge [belief is required for knowledge, but knowledge
    is not required for belief] there are many different belief states that an agnostic could hold, ranging from believing
    that gods do exist, to lacking belief that they exist, to believing that they don't exist. Two of those positions make
    the agnostic also an atheist. The third makes them a theist. I know plenty of people who would qualify for the third
    category. Who are agnostics, and also theists [Christians in this instance].

What label a person WANTS to use [if any] is up to them, if a person wants to identify as an agnostic then they
    are free to do so.

However, if we are talking about which labels correctly apply to that person, they don't get such a choice.

The definition of atheist is someone lacking a belief in god/s. Thus anyone who doesn't believe that gods do exist
    is unavoidably an atheist. Whether they like it or not.

Given the number of times that I, and others, have explained this I would have thought you would have understood this
    by now.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 22:401 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne

I hear some people from Europes are describing themselves as Atheist.

Do you think they are Atheists or really Europeans?
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 02:41
    Originally posted by Seitse (Page 3)
    God hates trolls and copy paste spammers.

That's why He never goes to the General Forum.
    On what authority have you personally arrived at this conclusion?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 02:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead (Page 3)
    Will you also please state whether or not you are the serial thumbs downer?
    In the overall scheme of things does such a miniscule online event really matter?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 02:52
    Originally posted by FMF (Page 3)
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    avalanchethecat, your mention of the name "Odin" here reminded me of my own Scandinavian [Swedish] Ancestry. Specifically of tales my brothers and I were told of the ancient hatreds of Norwegians toward the Jewish People in Viking mythology [which had something to do with sources of energy though I haven't a clu ...[text shortened]... think you could decide ~ or choose ~ to stop believing in Jesus and start believing in Odin instead?
    No; nor would I ever be capable of doing so. All believers in Christ are members of His Royal Family
    at the moment of the second [spiritual] birth. Nobody becomes unborn physically or spiritually.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 02:56
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat (Page 4)
    I don't hate anybody, real or imagined. I do see this "atheists hate god" nonsense repeatedly posted in this forum though, so I wondered if it had it's birth in some hidden hatred that christians feel for gods not their own.
    Nor do I "hate anybody" or believe that "atheists hate god". None of us can effectively "hate" any being that doesn't even exist.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:02
    Originally posted by wolfgang59 (Page 4)
    Just answer this one simple question.

Do you hate the Tooth Fairy?
    wolfgang59, thanks for the simplicity of your "one simple question". Answer:The "Tooth Fairy" in our childhood home was my dear Mom, so of course "No". Still think of her often though she departed this life to be with her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ a few day before Christmas, 2011. -Bob
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:04
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Nor do I "hate anybody" or believe that "atheists hate god". None of us can effectively "hate" any being that doesn't even exist.
    If you really believe that.

What was the point of your OP, and this thread?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:07
    Originally posted by Agerg (Page 4)
    Question: What do you believe?
    That Mr Slick is a bit of a [fl]osser, and so are you!

Hope this helps 🙂
    Yes, it does help in understanding your focus and priorities. May I ask for a brief definition of the words, "Mr. Slick" and "flosser"?
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:20
    Yes, it does help in understanding your focus and priorities. May I ask for a brief definition of the words, "Mr. Slick" and "flosser"?
    Well Mr Slick was the person you quoted in your OP... Have you forgotten who you plagiarised so soon?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:212 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought (Page 4)
    The definition given'll do. I tend to regard atheist as meaning "one who believes there is no god", rather than "one who does not believe there is a god." which I'd class as agnostic. The former is a stronger statement not implied by the latter. I still regard myself as agnostic and agnostic meaning something different from atheist. The technic ...[text shortened]... to questions or who tells me what is right and wrong? I'm not sure I'm in need of either of those.
    As always, you've provided an objective and well reasoned reply. By "authority" I mean the absolute authority beyond which there is no appeal. As a child it was my parents. In sports it was my coaches. At a major university in Boston it was my Professors. Did I ever disagree with any of these human beings? Of course. In the spiritual realm my sole authority is the Word of God which provides us with absolute truth and specifically the Mind of Christ. One question for you with reference to your statement, "I'm not sure I'm in need of either of those", what do you need?: -Bob
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:30
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well Mr Slick was the person you quoted in your OP... Have you forgotten who you plagiarised so soon?
    My error; no excuse. "Matt Slick: President and Founder of the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry. Matt earned his Bachelors in Social Science from Concordia University, Irvine, CA, in 1988. He earned his Masters of Divinity from Westminster Theological Seminary in Escondido, CA, in 1991. He now resides in the Boise, Idaho area with his family. He is ordained. Matt started CARM in October of 1995 to respond to the many false teachings of the cults on the Internet." https://carm.org/matt-slick
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:31
    FMF: Do you think you could decide ~ or choose ~ to stop believing in Jesus and start believing in Odin instead?

No; nor would I ever be capable of doing so. All believers in Christ are members of His Royal Family at the moment of the second [spiritual] birth. Nobody becomes unborn physically or spiritually.
    So if you yourself can't just decide to believe in something - like Odin - that you don't believe in, why do you keep declaring that this is all anyone has to do to gain immortality when you are addressing people who simply don't believe it and who - like you now admit about yourself - cannot choose to think credible something they in fact think is incredible?
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:31
    My error; no excuse. "Matt Slick: President and Founder of the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry. Matt earned his Bachelors in Social Science from Concordia University, Irvine, CA, in 1988. He earned his Masters of Divinity from Westminster Theological Seminary in Escondido, CA, in 1991. He now resides in the Boise, Idaho area with his fami ...[text shortened]... o respond to the many false teachings of the cults on the Internet." https://carm.org/matt-slick
    As for the other word...

You can figure that out for yourself. it's not hard.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree