1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:34
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    If you really believe that.

What was the point of your OP, and this thread?
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    "Do atheists hate the God they don't believe in?" (by Matt Slick)

"People behave according to what they believe not what they don't believe. When an atheist says that God doesn't exist or denies Him or works hard to disprove His existence, he is behaving in a manner that is consistent with what he believes. Likewise, when an atheist speaks against God by accusing Him of immorality, then he is displaying his disdain for God. Christians often encounter such displays of contempt for God when atheists cite God-ordered Old Testament events that atheists believe are morally wrong. When they do this, they are demonstrating their scorn for God by accusing Him of doing what is wrong and, therefore, being wrong. Disdain, contempt, and scorn are all synonymous with hate.

Of course, atheists will say that they can't hate what they don't believe in. But if that is the case and they actually deny that God exists (either by positive denial or passive lack-of-belief), then they are expressing denial of the Christian concept of God by not properly affirming Him. Now, if the Christian concept of God is true and God actually exists, then it would be necessarily true that the atheists are expressing their disdain/hatred for the true and living God, especially when they accuse Him of wrong doing. Either way, those atheists who work against God's existence and also accuse Him of evil are doing so based on what they believe, namely, that God does not exist and the God of Scripture is morally wrong. Again, people behave according to what they believe, not what they don't believe.

What I think is interesting is that atheists have two problems--among many. First, they cannot establish that God does not exist. Yes, I know about the problem of disproving a universal negative and demonstrating that God doesn't exist anywhere, anytime. They can't. This is why they retreat into the "lack of belief in God" position. It's safer intellectual footing for them to stand on because it is less assailable. Of course, the "I lack belief in God" position has its weaknesses, too. But I digress. Atheists cannot demonstrate that God does not exist, so they often say there is no evidence for God's existence or that the evidence presented is not sufficient. However, evidence is a subjective concept since what may be evidence for you may not be evidence for me (see What is evidence?). Plus, evidence has validity based on a person's assumptions. Therefore, it is the assumptions that need to be examined.

Second, when atheists accuse God of being immoral and express their disdain for Him, they are making moral judgments. But, they have no objective moral standard by which they can make such judgments. They can assert that it is their opinion that God is wrong, but their opinion doesn't make Him wrong. They can say that society judges God to be wrong, but what makes the society correct? There are many kinds of problems that arise when atheists assert that the God of Scripture is somehow morally wrong for doing something. Then when confronted with their inconsistencies, they continue to deny Him and accuse Him of wrongdoing. Why, if He doesn't exist to them? It seems more plausible to say they hate God, at least in a mild sense, and their disdain is manifested in their actions.

Nevertheless, to reiterate, people behave according to what they believe, not what they don't believe. Second, whenever an atheist accuses God of immorality, he is passing a condemning judgment upon God and displaying his moral contempt for Him. Therefore, in his contempt, he is revealing his hatred for the God he does not believe in." https://carm.org/do-atheists-hate-the-god-they-dont-believe-in

Question: What do you believe?

Originally posted by googlefudge
    "If you really believe that.

What was the point of your OP, and this thread?"
    ________

Simply to ask: "What do you believe?"
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:37
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    In the spiritual realm my sole authority is the Word of God which provides us with absolute truth and specifically the Mind of Christ.
    Are you declaring this to be "the sole authority ... for absolute truth" for all humans even though the notion that it is the "absolute truth" is merely your personal opinion and personal preference?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    So if you yourself can't just decide to believe in something - like Odin - that you don't believe in, why do you keep declaring that this is all anyone has to do to gain immortality when you are addressing people who simply don't believe it and who - like you now admit about yourself - cannot choose to think credible something they in fact think is incredible?
    "FMF: Do you think you could decide ~ or choose ~ to stop believing in Jesus and start believing in Odin instead?"

Originally posted by FMF
    So if you yourself can't just decide to believe in something - like Odin.."

Two different constructs.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:39
    Nor do I "hate anybody" or believe that "atheists hate god". None of us can effectively "hate" any being that doesn't even exist.
    So are the claims made your OP wrong?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 03:42
    "FMF: Do you think you could decide ~ or choose ~ [b]to stop believing in Jesus and start believing in Odin instead?"

Originally posted by FMF
    So if you yourself can't just decide to believe in something - like Odin.."

Two different constructs.[/b]
    I'd rather you did not resort to sophistry.

The question is crystal clear, point blank, and absolutely rooted in the implied claim you make over and over again on this forum - and which you have never then discussed properly.

Here it is:

Do you contend that you can just decide to believe in something that you don't believe in?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Nov '15 09:30
    Originally posted by Seitse (Page 3)
    God hates trolls and copy paste spammers.

That's why He never goes to the General Forum.
    Correct; however a few of His adversaries do go there.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Nov '15 09:471 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke (Page 5)
    I don't hate God, but the whole wasp thing has caused a degree of vexation.

*I know it has been said already, but i really can't bring myself to hate something i don't believe in, Indeed, there are very few things i hate that i 'do' believe in.
    Agree. Human beings of all ages are incapable of hating or loving another person until they know him/her with some degree of intimacy; however, they are capable of covertly and/or overtly violating the standards of morality [or righteousness in context] of another person without realizing it.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 23:39
    blah.
    We are still waiting for your position on the Tooth Fairy.
    Hate her?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Nov '15 01:04
    Originally posted by FMF

The question is crystal clear, point blank, and absolutely rooted in the implied claim you make over and over again on this forum - and which you have never then discussed properly.

Here it is:

Do you contend that you can just decide to believe in something that you don't believe in?
    Pot something-something-something kettle something-something-something.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Nov '15 01:06
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    We are still waiting for your position on the Tooth Fairy.
    Hate her?
    As we have all been witness to over your time here on these forums, fairies are not necessarily and primarily female in given gender.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '15 01:19
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Pot something-something-something kettle something-something-something.
    Do you believe that a person can just somehow decide to believe in something that he or she simply doesn't believe in?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Nov '15 01:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you believe that a person can just somehow decide to believe in something that he or she simply doesn't believe in?
    Real things or imaginary things?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '15 01:411 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Real things or imaginary things?
    Grampy Bobby always dodges the question too. The things you or I think are "real" may be "imaginary" to someone else. The question is about believing and not believing, and not about what you personally claim is "real".

Do you believe that a person can just somehow decide to believe in something that somebody else just so happens to claim is "real" when he or she simply doesn't believe it and considers it "imaginary"?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Nov '15 01:50
    Originally posted by FMF

Here it is:

Is it safe?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Nov '15 01:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is it safe?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree