1. weedhopper
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 21:471 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Not the sentiment? Which sentiment is that?

Atheists don't celebrate the sentiment of generosity, goodwill etc..? I hope you don't think atheists don't like those sentiments or wouldn't like them.
    The sentiment that we are honoring the birth of THE CHRIST, The Son of the Living God, and the Savior of all mankind.
    Care to join us? 🙂
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 22:40
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    The sentiment that we are honoring the birth of THE CHRIST, The Son of the Living God, and the Savior of all mankind.
    Care to join us? 🙂
    Ok.. thanks for clarifying.

Heck, when I did believe in god, I didn't believe Jesus was the savior.

You'd have to go to step 1 first 🙂

Happy Thanksgiving 🙂
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '08 15:13
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Mithraism celebrates Dec 25 as the birth of the great God Mithras. Legend has it that he was "born of a virgin" and arose into the heavens.
    Why do Christians celebrate Dec 25 as Christmas? Should it not be Mithramas ?
    Mithras scans better. You can call it whatever you want, holy slopover day, what's in a neme?
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Nov '08 16:511 edit
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Mithraism celebrates Dec 25 as the birth of the great God Mithras. Legend has it that he was "born of a virgin" and arose into the heavens.
    Why do Christians celebrate Dec 25 as Christmas? Should it not be Mithramas ?
    Somebody has been watching Zeitgeist.

Tell me, who was this virgin that Mithras was born from?
  5. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    29 Nov '08 17:20
    Originally posted by amannion
    Here in Melbourne, Australia we have a nationally well known horse race - The Melbourne Cup - interestingly on the first Tuesday in November every year.
    For all of Melbourne it's a public holiday and I like many other people take the day off. Now I'm not a fan of horse racing myself, I'd rather see a bunch of people thrash each other around a track, but I' ...[text shortened]... or the son of god, but so what, I think I can celebrate along with everyone else.
    Taking the day off is just taking the day off. That's not celebrating something you don't believe in.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '08 17:36
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Taking the day off is just taking the day off. That's not celebrating something you don't believe in.
    I don't believe you....
  7. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    29 Nov '08 17:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I don't believe you....
    I went to high school in a town that was predominately Jewish. School was closed for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. Obviously I didn't go to school those days. But I was an atheist and I certainly didn't do any of the religious/family things my friends who were Jewish were doing those days.
  8. Standard memberbot 6
    Bla bla bla
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 05:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    hi it is just a simple question with no hidden agenda, but i could not find out if this was true or not, i just want to know if atheists celebrate Christmas and thanksgiving and other religious holidays, or if there are any atheistic celebrations, like i dunno, the repeal of blasphemy laws, or the initiating and implementation of the universal declar ...[text shortened]... really that much about religion anyway so probably you could get away with it

regards Robbie
    wouldent matter anyway because christmas isnt a christian celebration.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 22:27
    Originally posted by bot 6
    wouldent matter anyway because christmas isnt a christian celebration.
    mmm, i think its more of a pagan celebration, celebrated and adopted by Christians, so yes you are probably correct, but its religious never the less, regardless, so maybe some athiests has some hang ups with this.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 23:01
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    mmm, i think its more of a pagan celebration, celebrated and adopted by Christians, so yes you are probably correct, but its religious never the less, regardless, so maybe some athiests has some hang ups with this.
    Hey.....mince pies, tinsel, pressies, twinkly tree lights and turkey, the log fire with chestnuts-a-roasting, the sound of music and 10 year old Bond movies, snowball fights in the yellow snow, the family and relatives drinking all your beer, time off work (for some) and time to reflect, it's a great time of year....

I can't wait, how could anyone not like christmas?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 00:41
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Hey.....mince pies, tinsel, pressies, twinkly tree lights and turkey, the log fire with chestnuts-a-roasting, the sound of music and 10 year old Bond movies, snowball fights in the yellow snow, the family and relatives drinking all your beer, time off work (for some) and time to reflect, it's a great time of year....

I can't wait, how could anyone not like christmas?
    lol, very interesting Mr. Bond! but its good that you have family etc etc. i knew one guy once, a plumber , he got so fed up with the over indulgence that he got the four corners of the table cloth with all the goodies in the middle and pulled them all together and made a kind of goodie sac and gave them all to some unfortunate dudes. i guess he just wanted to give, quite admirable really.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree