1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 19:46
    With our so-called high intelligence, we can't even begin to understand dolphins, could they already have a religion? Could we understand it if we could decipher their language?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 20:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    With our so-called high intelligence, we can't even begin to understand dolphins, could they already have a religion? Could we understand it if we could decipher their language?
    Not sure about a religion, but i believe they have a 'porpoise.'

😉
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 20:07
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Not sure about a religion, but i believe they have a 'porpoise.'

😉
    Nice one GoD
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 20:20
    Lambert Dolphin's Library

http://ldolphin.org/
  5. Joined
    26 Apr '15
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 21:06
    On what linguistic or sociological evidence could you infer religious beliefs or religious practices among dolphins?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 21:06
    Why?

You wouldn't believe it, either.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 21:08
    Originally posted by dominuslatrunculorum
    On what linguistic or sociological evidence could you infer religious beliefs or religious practices among dolphins?
    High intelligence, of course. I considered that was his reasoning too. Seems obvious.
  8. Joined
    26 Apr '15
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 22:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    High intelligence, of course. I considered that was his reasoning too. Seems obvious.
    High intelligence is itself a sign of religion?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 23:17
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Why?

You wouldn't believe it, either.
    A bit snippy today, eh. It would be very interesting to know regardless of my personal beliefs. One thing we are pretty sure of is they seem to have names for each other and remember each other's names even not seeing each other for years. It is very likely humans won't be able to suss out much of their language without the help of the most powerful computer's we can bring to bear on that problem. We may need to learn their language if we ever are to have a ghost of a chance of figuring out the language of any real aliens we may find if and when we ever go interstellar.
  10. Joined
    26 Apr '15
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 23:25
    A bit snippy today, eh. It would be very interesting to know regardless of my personal beliefs. One thing we are pretty sure of is they seem to have names for each other and remember each other's names even not seeing each other for years. It is very likely humans won't be able to suss out much of their language without the help of the most powerful compu ...[text shortened]... of figuring out the language of any real aliens we may find if and when we ever go interstellar.
    Knowledge of names does not imply any capacity for language. You should read Stephen Pinker's 'The Language Instinct'. Language is a very particular type of human ability that is not merely the lexicalisation of the world, but a subconscious faculty of the brain to organise signifiers according to specific parameters of a shared innate grammar. This is why animals will not be able to learn a human language. Of course, animals might have a 'language instinct' (and it might be radically different to ours) but names are a poor criterion.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 00:06
    Knowledge of names does not imply any capacity for language. You should read Stephen Pinker's 'The Language Instinct'. Language is a very particular type of human ability that is not merely the lexicalisation of the world, but a subconscious faculty of the brain to organise signifiers according to specific parameters of a shared innate grammar. ...[text shortened]... language instinct' (and it might be radically different to ours) but names are a poor criterion.
    i like it better when you do it in latin.
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 00:22
    Would be awesome to someday ask an animal who the creator is. With no type of influence from humans.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 05:47
    This is why animals will not be able to learn a human language.
    I believe Chimpanzees and Gorillas can learn some sign language, although the Gorilla in question apparently didn't use grammar:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koko_(gorilla)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washoe_%28chimpanzee%29
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 07:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    ...although the Gorilla in question apparently didn't use grammar:
    Are you going to be the one to tell him?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 10:53
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    i like it better when you do it in latin.
    Non tamen oportet quod cognitio nomina lingua facultatem sibi . Vos should read Stephanus scriptor Pinker ' Lingua Latina . Lingua est genus humanum , quod in ipso est , non alicuius mundi lexicalisation autem secundum specificas significata ordinare cerebrum subconscious facultas communis innata grammatica parametri . ... [ text breviabuntur ] ... lingua instinctus ' ( et esset aliud omnino ad nostrum ) sunt nomina, sed pauperes a criterion .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree