1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 May '14 21:11
    Are you married? Do not seek a divorce. Are you unmarried? Do not look for a wife.

can any of you scripture geeks explain what this passage from corinthian means?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 May '14 21:13
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    [b]Are you married? Do not seek a divorce. Are you unmarried? Do not look for a wife.

can any of you scripture geeks explain what this passage from corinthian means?[/b]
    It seems fairly straightforward, what don't you understand?
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 May '14 21:38
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It seems fairly straightforward, what don't you understand?
    ahhh, i think the penny may have dropped. does it mean if you are single do not hit on a married person?
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 May '14 23:15
    [b]Are you married? Do not seek a divorce. Are you unmarried? Do not look for a wife.

can any of you scripture geeks explain what this passage from corinthian means?[/b]
    You should look at it in the context it was written in.
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 May '14 23:18

The preceding verse is:

26 Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for you to remain as you are.

Perhaps this is relevant.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 May '14 23:311 edit

in ancient Israel, wife look for you!!
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 May '14 23:412 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    The preceding verse is:

26 Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for you to remain as you are.

Perhaps this is relevant.
    The whole portion of text that this was found in has to do with whatever
    state you find yourself in, be content in it. There is more going on, than just
    that, since life is complex so are the directions in this passage.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 May '14 00:39
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You should look at it in the context it was written in.
    Kelly
    Context

Written by bronze-age, ignorant, superstitious fools.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 May '14 05:422 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Context

Written by bronze-age, ignorant, superstitious fools.
    The Romans hadn't discovered iron smelting? I am pretty sure you are crediting the New Testament with being much older than it really is, or even claims to be. Even the Old Testament was written well after the end of the bronze age.

As for the context, the writer qualifies his statement by saying it is not the word of God but his own opinion (clearly contradicting many Christians beliefs that the Bible is wholly the word of God, although I am sure they will chime in to say it is nevertheless 'God inspired' ) .
    He also mentions 'the present distress' which suggest there was war or political turmoil of some kind and he was suggesting not getting married for this reason.

I think the writer was probably superstitious, but he was no fool, nor was he particularly ignorant for the time (he was probably in the top 1% in terms of education given that he could write at all), and he certainly wasn't bronze age.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 May '14 05:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The Romans hadn't discovered iron smelting? I am pretty sure you are crediting the New Testament with being much older than it really is, or even claims to be. Even the Old Testament was written well after the end of the bronze age.

As for the context, the writer qualifies his statement by saying it is not the word of God but his own opinion (clearly c ...[text shortened]... 1% in terms of education given that he could write at all), and he certainly wasn't bronze age.
    Actually the OP is from the New Testament so is probably post printing press era.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 May '14 06:00
    ahhh, i think the penny may have dropped. does it mean if you are single do not hit on a married person?
    Exactly, although from [robbie's] original Greek parchments the word for "wife" when washed through the millennia, is probably best translated as "MILF" or the more parochial "Biatch".
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '14 08:13
    here is an interesting commentary on the verse

7:25-35 Considering the distress of those times, the unmarried state was best. Notwithstanding, the apostle does not condemn marriage. How opposite are those to the apostle Paul who forbid many to marry, and entangle them with vows to remain single, whether they ought to do so or not! He exhorts all Christians to holy indifference toward the world. As to relations; they must not set their hearts on the comforts of the state. As to afflictions; they must not indulge the sorrow of the world: even in sorrow the heart may be joyful. As to worldly enjoyments; here is not their rest. As to worldly employment; those that prosper in trade, and increase in wealth, should hold their possessions as though they held them not. As to all worldly concerns; they must keep the world out of their hearts, that they may not abuse it when they have it in their hands. All worldly things are show; nothing solid. All will be quickly gone. Wise concern about worldly interests is a duty; but to be full of care, to have anxious and perplexing care, is a sin. By this maxim the apostle solves the case whether it were advisable to marry. That condition of life is best for every man, which is best for his soul, and keeps him most clear of the cares and snares of the world. Let us reflect on the advantages and snares of our own condition in life; that we may improve the one, and escape as far as possible all injury from the other. And whatever cares press upon the mind, let time still be kept for the things of the Lord.

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/1_corinthians/7-27.htm
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '14 08:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead

As for the context, the writer qualifies his statement by saying it is not the word of God but his own opinion (clearly c ...[text shortened]... 1% in terms of education given that he could write at all), and he certainly wasn't bronze age.
    exactly!
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 May '14 08:30
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Actually the OP is from the New Testament so is probably post printing press era.
    When do you define 'printing press era'?
    From what I can tell from a quick glance at Wikipedia, I would say no, it was pre-printing press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodblock_printing
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '14 09:15

I know the answer if you are married don't get a divorce(shag everything that moves) but don't get caught and if you are single you can shag yourself silly and no one can blame you simplze

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree