1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 10:03
    Original post by phillip beer (on 01 Jun '04 16:34) Thread 11214 (7 Pages)
    Do we have a soul or not? Prove it!

"It is the oldest of questions. Do we have an eternal soul or do we die and that is it. What is the nature of our consciousness?"

Note: Recently found this eleven year old thread while searching for something else. It's topic hasn't been the focal point of discussion in quite awhile yet is still relevant to many other threads on this spirituality forum. Your insights?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 10:09
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Do we have a soul or not? Prove it!

"It is the oldest of questions. Do we have an eternal soul or do we die and that is it. What is the nature of our consciousness?"

Note: Recently found this eleven year old thread while searching for something else. ...[text shortened]... te awhile yet is still relevant to many other threads on this spirituality forum. Your insights?[/b]
    The human soul is only eternal if it is Gods will that it be eternal.
    Christ said that God can destroy both body and soul. [Matt 10:28]
    Souls that please God will be eternal and those that do not will be destroyed .. ie ended, finished with, annihilated.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 10:10
    Define "soul".

Or not, as I expect will be the case.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 10:26
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Define "soul".

Why would people consider it proof that the 'soul' is mentioned in the bible? Since the bible was written by men only, no deity needed, it is only the word of men that says we have souls.

We, as a race, don't DESERVE souls. Consider the hundred MILLION people killed in the 20th century wars and pogroms, the fact we are in the middle of the 6th extinction, totally man made, why would a deity ever grant souls to such savage beasts as humans?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 12:31
    Your insights?
    Theists do not like to discuss that and I am sure you are no exception. The first thing you need to do is define 'soul' as there is a wide range of meaning and different people mean quite different things when they use the term. I see from your OP that you include conciousness - not everyone does.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 14:13
    Will a river continue to exist if you remove all the water?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 14:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Theists do not like to discuss that and I am sure you are no exception. The first thing you need to do is define 'soul' as there is a wide range of meaning and different people mean quite different things when they use the term. I see from your OP that you include conciousness - not everyone does.
    Do we have a soul or not? Prove it!

twhitehead, the "OP" was written by phillip beer eleven years ago; the quotation is verbatim to insure the integrity of his thread.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 15:12
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Define "soul".

"soul" (sōl) n.

"1.a. A part of humans regarded as immaterial, immortal, separable from the body at death, capable of moral judgment, and susceptible to happiness or misery in a future state.

b. This part of a human when disembodied after death." http://www.thefreedictionary.com/soul

To which I'd add that though every human being has a different personality and genetic predispositions, the essence of our immaterial souls is identical: the home of our self consciousness; mentality; conscience and volition. Please feel free to state your own definition.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 15:30
    When a person dies, he is dead, that is, totally without life. A Christian has body, soul, and holy spirit, so we will look at what happens to each of these components if he dies. The body cannot live without the animating life force of the soul, so when the soul is gone, the body is dead. We have all seen lifeless bodies—the body is there but the soul, the life force, is gone.

Just as the body is not alive without the soul, so the soul cannot live on its own without a body. The soul is not a ghost that lives on after the body dies. Rather, it is the animating force that makes the body alive. God created the soul, the life force, for both animals and man, and it is passed down from one generation to the next. There was no “soul ghost” that God put into us when the sperm of our father and egg of our mother came together.

Every living part of a human or animal has “soul,” that is, life. Every cell of our body has soul in it, which is what makes it alive. A dead cell is a cell without soul—the soul is gone. As with every cell, the egg from my mother and the sperm from my father that became “me” each had their own cell-body and soul, and that soul was passed down to “me” when the sperm fertilized the egg. If the egg were “dead,” the lifeless egg-body would be there, but it could not be fertilized, and if the sperm were dead, it could not fertilize the egg.
    Rest of article here....
    http://www.truthortradition.com/articles/the-dead-are-dead-until-the-rapture-or-resurrection
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 15:48
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    When a person dies, he is dead, that is, totally without life. A Christian has body, soul, and holy spirit, so we will look at what happens to each of these components if he dies. The body cannot live without the animating life force of the soul, so when the soul is gone, the body is dead. We have all seen lifeless bodies—the body is there but the soul, ...[text shortened]... ..
    http://www.truthortradition.com/articles/the-dead-are-dead-until-the-rapture-or-resurrection
    What if you receive an organ transplant? Is that transplant also a partial soul transplant?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 19:25
    When a person dies, he is dead, that is, totally without life. A Christian has body, soul, and holy spirit, so we will look at what happens to each of these components if he dies. The body cannot live without the animating life force of the soul, so when the soul is gone, the body is dead. We have all seen lifeless bodies—the body is there but the soul, ...[text shortened]... ..
    So the gist of what you are saying is only Christians have somehow been granted a soul but evryone else whonuis not Christian has no soul? Does that mean an infant has no soul till it is baptized? If so, does it matter what denomination does the baptism? A baptist or
    Pentacostal, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Mormon, Jehovah witness? All of these baptisms grant souls to infants?

What about an atheist who converts, did that person not have a soul but the baptism gave him or her one?

And so all Muslims, Jaynes, Hindu's, Druse, they don't have and never will have souls?
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 21:29
    [b]"soul" (sōl) n.

"1.a. A part of humans regarded as immaterial, immortal, separable from the body at death, capable of moral judgment, and susceptible to happiness or misery in a future state.

b. This part of a human when disembodied after death." http://www.thefreedictionary.com/soul

To which I'd add ...[text shortened]... onsciousness; mentality; conscience and volition. Please feel free to state your own definition.[/b]
    What is a soul made of?
    how big is a soul?
    in which part of the body does this soul reside?
    Are souls flammable? (how do they burn in hell!?)
    Why do the hell-bound souls have teeth? (wailing and gnashing of teeth and all ...)
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 22:103 edits
    When a person dies, he is dead, that is, totally without life. A Christian has body, soul, and holy spirit, so we will look at what happens to each of these components if he dies. The body cannot live without the animating life force of the soul, so when the soul is gone, the body is dead. We have all seen lifeless bodies—the body is there but the soul, the ...[text shortened]... re....
    "To which I'd add that though every human being has a different personality and genetic predispositions, the essence of our immaterial souls is identical: the home of our self consciousness; mentality; conscience and volition. Please feel free to state your own definition." (Initial Post)

There is biological life in the womb and physical life at the moment of birth when God imputes an individual soul to the viable fetus [resulting in the birth of a dichotomous human being with body and soul]. At the moment of the new or spiritual birth [regeneration by faith alone in Christ alone] the Holy Spirit imputes a human spirit [now a trichotomous human being with body, soul and human spirit] which enables the believer in Christ to understand and assimilate absolute truth revealed in the Word of God as accurately taught by his or her pastor/teacher. God plays hard ball and doesn't do anything halfway or create disposable souls like some cheap chemical infused fast food gone bad. Our bodies are temporal and will begin decomposing at physical death. Our souls, however, are immortal: the unique person which is the permanent home: "of our self consciousness; mentality; conscience and volition." Originally posted by checkbaiter "When a person dies, he is dead..." Yes, physically dead with a soul which will reside at one of two addresses for eternity. ,
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 22:20
    Originally posted by Agerg
    What is a soul made of?
    how big is a soul?
    in which part of the body does this soul reside?
    Are souls flammable? (how do they burn in hell!?)
    Why do the hell-bound souls have teeth? (wailing and gnashing of teeth and all ...)
    Insightful questions, Agerg. They will be individually addressed gradually before this thread is eventually archived. As a university professor once said to me late one afternoon in his office: "Bobby, the confusion of knowledge is worse than ignorance."
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 01:512 edits
    Just as the body is not alive without the soul, so the soul cannot live on its own without a body. The soul is not a ghost that lives on after the body dies.

Samuel the prophet died and was buried in Ramah ( 1 Sam. 25:1). Years latter something of him was brought up from the realm of death. Five times we are told it was Samuel (1 Sam. 28).

Do you believe this happened as the Bible states it ?

Don't chase down other issues. Just answer me on THIS issue of Samuel's soul being consulted (however legally or illegally) after his physical death.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree