1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 00:12
    If one were to view a ressurection as a type of reincarnation I suppose I could go along with the notion. Otherwise, no.
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 00:28
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Many reasonable explanations of one era seem to be proven wrong in latter eras. Newton's model of the universe was elegant and explained all the observations of the natural world for hundreds of years. Then Einstein and relativity came along and Newtonian mechanics was shown to be flawed.

Yet, relativity relies on "locality" i.e. the concept ...[text shortened]... scientific to dismiss the idea of the soul as a manifestion of this unified consciousness.
    Okay, finally got off my bum and had a bit of a read. I have come across Bell's Theorem before it turns out. I've also come across many attempts to link quantum mechanics and eastern mysticism.

Here's Heinz Pagels summing up the quantum mysticism industry ...

Some recent popularizers of Bell's work when confronted with Bell's inequality have gone on to claim that telepathy is verified or the mystical notion that all parts of the universe are instantaneously interconnected is vindicated. Others assert that this implies communication faster than the speed of light. That is rubbish; the quantum theory and Bell's inequality imply nothing of this kind. Individuals who make such claims have substituted a wish-fulfilling fantasy for understanding. If we closely examine Bell's experiment we will see a bit of sleight of hand by the God that plays dice which rules out actual nonlocal influences. Just as we think we have captured a really weird beast--like acausal influences--it slips out of our grasp. The slippery property of quantum reality is again manifested.
  3. RDU NC
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 03:361 edit
    Originally posted by the dutchman
    hello,

do you believe in reincrnation, that you've had alot of life's before this life and maybe gonna have alot more after this life??
    i did last time, and look where that got me. teaching a bunch of middle schoolers in the tobacco fields of NC. an ESL teacher to illegals on top of that. no mas samsara for me thanks.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 06:121 edit
    Originally posted by amannion
    Okay, finally got off my bum and had a bit of a read. I have come across Bell's Theorem before it turns out. I've also come across many attempts to link quantum mechanics and eastern mysticism.

Here's Heinz Pagels summing up the quantum mysticism industry ...

Some recent popularizers of Bell's work when confronted with Bell's inequality have gone o slips out of our grasp. The slippery property of quantum reality is again manifested.
    Thanks for nothing. Any time you want to discuss the philosophical implications of Bell's Theorem rather than hunting down a cut and paste that attacks various strawman (with no actual reasoning whatsoever), let me know.

EDIT: The quote is from wiki. Some "research".
  5. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 09:27
    Thanks for nothing. Any time you want to discuss the philosophical implications of Bell's Theorem rather than hunting down a cut and paste that attacks various strawman (with no actual reasoning whatsoever), let me know.

EDIT: The quote is from wiki. Some "research".
    No worries, will do.
    Don't hold your breath though - I've got plenty of more interesting things to do and people to converse with.
  6. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 12:05
    if you don't believe in "ghosts" what is then the contact with our lost family or friends??
    To what contact would you be referring?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 13:02
    Originally posted by amannion
    No worries, will do.
    Don't hold your breath though - I've got plenty of more interesting things to do and people to converse with.
    Yeah go back to something more of your intellectual speed - like snapping your gum and twirling your hair.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 18:16
    Yeah go back to something more of your intellectual speed - like snapping your gum and twirling your hair.
    Or vice versa?
  9. Ketchikan, Alaska
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 20:521 edit
    hello,

do you believe in reincrnation, that you've had alot of life's before this life and maybe gonna have alot more after this life??
    Yes,

I think of the soul as a record, one that never wears, life after life is written on it and sure the old fades with each new one but the information is still there underneath all the new recordings.

All the body is as one good fellow earlier stated is a veichile to experince the material plain with.

The mind is but the link between the soul and the body.

There is more to my philosphy but that is all that realy needs to be said.
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 00:18
    A small part of the "one without a second". Of the Absolute Consciousness. A wave in the vast ocean of Atman.
    Get a load of you! I love it!
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 01:24
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Get a load of you! I love it!
    Yah. He's been keeping me straight lately (absolutely no tongue in cheek at all, just fact).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree