1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 15:061 edit
    ..... in the Da Vinci Code ?

As you all know there is a huge controversy about this book throughout the whole world. Now a Roman Catholic Cardinal, Bertone, has spoken out against the book. A Roman-Catholic bishop has spoken in favour of the book.

"You can't be a modern youth without having read it. The book is everywhere," Bertone said. "There is a very real risk that many people who read it will believe that the fables it contains are true."

What do you believe of the book's content of which the writer states it is, as a whole, fiction ?
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 15:11
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

As you all know there is a huge controversy about this book throughout the whole world. Now a Roman Catholic Cardinal, Bertone, has spoken out against the book. A Roman-Catholic bishop has spoken in favour of the book.

"You can't be a modern youth without having read it. The book is everywhere," Bertone said. "There ...[text shortened]... at do you believe of the book's content of which the writer states it is, as a whole, fiction ?
    Absolute fiction. It has an interesting premise but there is no Priory of Sion. I've read a couple articles on the inaccuracies of that book and they are numerous.
  3. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 15:14

"There is a very real risk that many people who read it will believe that the fables it contains are true."

Are we still talking about the Da Vinci Code, or have we switched to the bible?
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 15:17

"You can't be a modern youth without having read it. The book is everywhere," Bertone said. "There ...[text shortened]... at do you believe of the book's content of which the writer states it is, as a whole, fiction ?
    Methinks Cardinal Bertone is fooling himself if he defines modern youths as youths that actually read books.
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 15:17

"There is a very real risk that many people who read it will believe that the fables it contains are true."

People already believed them; they had been around a long time. Just as gnosticism has been around a long time (and was, at least at one time, a “stream” within the church).

I personally think the fables—and the whole “conspiracy theory” woven into them—is pretty far-fetched, but I wouldn’t want to assign a probability statistic to it. It is always risky to assert that something could or could not have happened historically based on doctrinal positions—that’s where you run into all of the “God of the gaps” stuff, for one thing. I have read some of the “blood-and-grail” type stuff behind it, and didn’t find that compelling either. I have yet to see any really good scholarship there.

I enjoyed the book—as fiction—even though it was far from being great literature (it was a thriller). It was a good “distraction” read.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 15:21
    I haven't yet read it, but I saw a documentary with Bladric the other day which clearly dexposed the premises taken to be fact, as pure fiction. The funniest thing is some guy that wrote another book on the same premises (The Blood and the Grail maybe?) was confronted with this irrefuteable evidence and still refused to accept that his book was nothing but an accurate presentation of the truth. I was awed by his stubborness and stunned by his hypocrisy. He had said that people should keep an open mind when reading the book, be prepared to consider all the evidence etc. Lol, the irony was not lost on Balders either 🙂
  7. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 16:47
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I was awed by his stubborness and stunned by his hypocrisy.
    I know some people like that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree