1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 15:40
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Should a Christian religion ignor Biblical laws and commands and believe in man made doctrines that fit their beliefs?
    One example would be repeating prayers over and over....
    Matt 6:7.
    Wow..Just woke up and 59 post on this thread in such a short time. Must be a record...
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 15:42
    Wow..Just woke up and 59 post on this thread in such a short time. Must be a record...
    Your thread has become a popular one! 🙂
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 15:53
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Your thread has become a popular one! 🙂
    Wish we could make money off this stuff....Lol. A dollar a response?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 16:07
    Wish we could make money off this stuff....Lol. A dollar a response?
    I hope you not that poor that $100.00 will make such a difference to your life, but I know you are kidding.

Its a good topic and you should probably try to get it back on track ...🙂
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 16:14
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I hope you not that poor that $100.00 will make such a difference to your life, but I know you are kidding.

Its a good topic and you should probably try to get it back on track ...🙂
    Right now with medical bills I'll take anything I could get...
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 16:33
    Right now with medical bills I'll take anything I could get...
    Well this thread is about following man's doctrines or the Bible, and the Bible says :
    James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
    Jas 5:15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
    Jas 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

So do JWs follow this advice for dealing with illness, or follow the advice of man?
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 16:52
    Well this thread is about following man's doctrines or the Bible, and the Bible says :
    James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
    Jas 5:15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have commit ...[text shortened]... .

So do JWs follow this advice for dealing with illness, or follow the advice of man?
    The question here is are these physical illnesses or spiritual illnesses these scriptures are refering to?
    If it is physical then what would be wrong to have anyone pray for you to give you strength? The Bible says God is the hearer of prayers.
    If it is spiritual sickness then it is good we have older and wiser ones in the congregation to pray for us and help to strengthen us when we need it.
    But for the fact that my wife and myself owe medical bills should answer that we do seek help from the medical field when needed.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 17:40
    The question here is are these physical illnesses or spiritual illnesses these scriptures are refering to?
    If it is physical then what would be wrong to have anyone pray for you to give you strength? The Bible says God is the hearer of prayers.
    If it is spiritual sickness then it is good we have older and wiser ones in the congregation to pray for us ...[text shortened]... myself owe medical bills should answer that we do seek help from the medical field when needed.
    Do you have reason to believe its "spritual illness"? If so, whats the reason?
    Also I asked if your faith follows that advice. I never said anything was wrong with it. So whats the answer?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 17:58
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i asked you did i not what was the origin of the bible and instead you launched into a tirade of how i visit the science forum with 'no science',
    Actually it was you that started it all with this comment:
    "why do you insist on coming to the spirituality forum with no spirituality?"
    You can hardly accuse me of 'launching into a tirade'. All I was doing is pointing out how ridiculous your comment was. Who gives you the right to decide whether I have any spirituality and why do you insist that those who come to this forum have any spirituality in the first place?

I could not care less whether you agree with me or not, but this constantly tearing away at anothers spirituality is insidious and one must ask why anyone of a spiritual mind would want to engage with someone whose sole aim is to undermine their faith?
    It is not my sole aim to undermine your faith, though I do fully admit that one of my aims is to point out some of the errors in your faith. If you find that to be undermining then you should rethink your faith, not point fingers at me (unless you are content with having a faith with errors in).
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 18:221 edit
    Do you have reason to believe its "spritual illness"? If so, whats the reason?
    Also I asked if your faith follows that advice. I never said anything was wrong with it. So whats the answer?
    Are not the word's "Faults" and "Sins" included in these scriptures? That has nothing to do with physical sickness.
    And sure we follow the advice of seeking help from the older and wiser ones of the congregations just as we would ask the advice of ones of the medical field.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 19:011 edit
    Are not the word's "Faults" and "Sins" included in these scriptures? That has nothing to do with physical sickness.
    And sure we follow the advice of seeking help from the older and wiser ones of the congregations just as we would ask the advice of ones of the medical field.
    Rqwpop o pdpwm ijm po opoemsp opm;swpe jwp 03njsl.

Did you understand that? No?
    Well thats what your reply sounded like.

If you profess to be teachers and you cant answers a couple very simple questions, which are relevant to your initial statement.. than you maybe have failed.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 19:05
    Rqwpop o pdpwm ijm po opoemsp opm;swpe jwp 03njsl.

Did you understand that? No?
    Well thats what your reply sounded like.

If you profess to be teachers and you cant answers a couple very simple questions, which are relevant to your initial statement.. than you maybe have failed.
    Lol.. I think it's a simple and clear answer.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 19:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have always found it interesting how the Bible is held in such esteem over any other writings. It seems to show a profound ignorance of where the Bible came from - but the real reason is probably more complicated.
    Why should a book that was chosen to be included in the Bible be called a 'Biblical law' whilst a book that was left out be called 'man mad ...[text shortened]... to "scripture" being inspired, but it is far from clear what is or is not "scripture".
    Isaiah 55:8-11. The Bible is the only inspired written word we have from God. Mans writtings have only mans thoughts. So until God gives us more in written form, then we have to dicern what the differance is between the Bible and mans writings.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 20:00
    Lol.. I think it's a simple and clear answer.
    Your opening post is about the use of Biblical doctrines and commands versus man-made ones. I then pointed our the James passage which says that in the case of sickness that the righteous should pray over the afflicted ones.

My question was if JW's follow this. Your answer :

...has nothing to do with the question. But you think it does. So I respond with .. "You are a great spiritual teacher.."
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 20:13
    Your opening post is about the use of Biblical doctrines and commands versus man-made ones. I then pointed our the James passage which says that in the case of sickness that the righteous should pray over the afflicted ones.

My question was if JW's follow this. Your answer :

[i]And sure we follow the advice of seeking help from the older and wiser ones ...[text shortened]... ion. But you think it does. So I respond with ..[b] "You are a great spiritual teacher.."
    [/b]
    I was simply responding to your post which has nothing to do with my original post. In case you don't get it the post was refering to false doctrines or dogma that many religions follow in spite of scriptures that totally condemn them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree