1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 10:34
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Freedom of Speech can exist only in a societal and civilised framework which respects feelings of others whom the free speech may hurt.
    Again, total bull, read my last post for why.

You plainly don't understand or value free speech.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 10:35
    Freedom of Speech can exist only in a societal and civilised framework which respects feelings of others whom the free speech may hurt.
    Freedom of speech can only exist if people have the freedom to exercise self-restraint as they see fit. You seem to believe that there is a freedom not to have your feelings hurt. Such a potentially authoritarian concept can have no place in a society that is based on freedom of speech.
  3. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 10:451 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Freedom of speech can only exist if people have the freedom to exercise self-restraint as they see fit. You seem to believe that there is a freedom not to have your feelings hurt. Such a potentially authoritarian concept can have no place in a society that is based on freedom of speech.
    The key words are "as they see fit ". What does it mean ? These words need not qualify the " Freedom of Speech " if you consider that freedom of speech as absolute. Self censorship is censorship.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 10:511 edit
    The key words are "as they see fit ". What does it mean ? These words need not qualify the " Freedom of Speech " if you consider that freedom of speech as absolute. Self censorship is censorship.
    Do you think the lawsuit is appropriate?

A concise yes or no will suffice?
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 10:55
    "America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.

You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the "land of the free"."

(I watch a lot of trash films 🙁)
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 10:56
    The key words are "as they see fit ". What does it mean ?
    It means the element of "freedom" in the concept of "freedom of speech".

These words need not qualify the " Freedom of Speech " if you consider that freedom of speech as absolute. Self censorship is censorship.

"Self-censorship" is when people see fit - i.e. have the freedom - to decide what they say and what they don't say. The "censorship" you endorse is basically the diametric opposite of "freedom of speech".
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 10:58
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    "America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.

...[text shortened]... tand up and sing about the "land of the free"."

(I watch a lot of trash films 🙁)
    Hey, that's a great film!
    Also great quote, very relevant.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 10:58
    Originally posted by Proper Knob

I asked him if the law suit was appropriate. And he suggested that "something has to be done to make a point" that Leno's freedom of speech ought to be restricted.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 11:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    I asked him if the law suit was appropriate. And he suggested that "something has to be done to make a point" that Leno's freedom of speech ought to be restricted.
    I saw that, bit of a dodge in my view.
  10. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 11:02
    Originally posted by Proper Knob

yes, it is the one remedy available to the party which has been hurt.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 11:05
    What's wrong with a press release or a letter to various newspapers stating that they didn't like Jay Leno's joke? Wouldn't that be a "remedy" too. And if so, why do you claim that a lawsuit "is the one remedy available"?
  12. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 11:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    What's wrong with a press release or a letter to various newspapers stating that they didn't like Jay Leno's joke? Wouldn't that be a "remedy" too. And if so, why do you claim that a lawsuit "is the one remedy available"?
    Is Jay Leno above the law of the U.S. that special consideration should be given him ?
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 11:08
    So where do you draw the line? If you agree that Sikh's should file a lawsuit then surely you agree that any religious person can file a lawsuit when someone has their feelings hurt.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 11:13
    Is Jay Leno above the law of the U.S. that special consideration should be given him ?
    What law has he broken? You yourself conceded that Leno's gag about Romney and the Golden Temple does not expose the Sikhs and their religion to "hatred".
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 11:14
    You dodged my question. Why do you claim that a lawsuit "is the one remedy available" when there are clearly several courses of action he could take?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree