1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 13:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    I insinuated nothing of the sort. The rest of your post I mostly agree with ~ although I think we would perhaps disagree about the significant role played by Christian prejudice in the Holocaust ~ and this history-of-Christian-persecution-of-Jews reality was what my original post was alluding to.
    When you say--- without clarification or caveat--- that Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2000 years, that sounds like an indictment without qualification, which lends itself to an insinuation.

If you consider all of the Christians who have supported Israel over the last 2000 years, the scale turns the other direction by a landslide.
    The same cannot be said for atheists, however.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 16:30
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    When you say--- without clarification or caveat--- that Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2000 years, that sounds like an indictment without qualification, which lends itself to an insinuation.
    Well it's just you. I never said anything of the sort.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 16:34
    If you consider all of the Christians who have supported Israel over the last 2000 years, the scale turns the other direction by a landslide.
    The same cannot be said for atheists, however.
    If I consider all of the Christians who have supported Israel over the last 2000 years? You mean since 1947?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 23:40
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    I encountered this news story during my morning coffee and news read.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/04/hitlers-hate-flourishing-in-america/
    I thought the most chilling line was the last one.

"WND even reported that the media reports over anti-Semitism have reduced the issue to 'Jewish claims.' "

To other Christians, I say, If we are silent when they come for the Jews, how can we expect any help when they come for us? And mark my words, they WILL eventually come for us.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 00:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    If I consider all of the Christians who have supported Israel over the last 2000 years? You mean since 1947?
    Israel is now (since 1947) a modern state.
    Israel has been the name of the Jewish people for quite a bit of time prior to its adoption as the national name.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 00:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well it's just you. I never said anything of the sort.
    Actually, you said exactly that, and nothing more than that, thus my objection.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 01:25
    Actually, you said exactly that, and nothing more than that, thus my objection.
    I did not state that it was only Christians who persecuted Jews. I did not say that. I did not think it. I did not imply it. I did not insinuate it. I was addressing a Christian poster and responding directly to his post. And to cap it all off, what I said was completely true. You are chasing after a straw man. 🙂
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 01:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    I did not state that it was only Christians who persecuted Jews. I did not say that. I did not think it. I did not imply it. I did not insinuate it. I was addressing a Christian poster and responding directly to his post. And to cap it all off, what I said was completely true. You are chasing after a straw man. 🙂
    Straw man, hee-haw man, whatever you want to call it.
    Your entire post consisted of nothing more than this:
    And yet Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years.

What you said was (more accurately) partially true.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 02:01
    Straw man, hee-haw man, whatever you want to call it.
    Your entire post consisted of nothing more than this:
    And yet Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years.

What you said was (more accurately) partially true.
    No it was completely true.

FMF: Germans have been holidaying in the Mediterranean for over a 100 years.

FreakyKBH: That's only partially true. Danes and Swedes have as well.

"Germans have been holidaying in the Mediterranean for over a 100 years" < Completely true.

FMF: Manchester United have been in the EPL every season since its inception.

FreakyKBH: That's only partially true. Arsenal have as well.

"Manchester United have been in the EPL every season since its inception." < Completely true.

Grampy Bobby: "Despite Anti Semitism, God's four unconditional covenants with Abraham, the father of the Jewish Race, and his progeny guarantee their future."

FMF: "And yet Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years". < Completely true.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 02:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    No it was completely true.

FMF: Germans have been holidaying in the Mediterranean for over a 100 years.

FreakyKBH: That's only partially true. Danes and Swedes have as well.

"Germans have been holidaying in the Mediterranean for over a 100 years" < Completely true.

FMF: Manchester United have been in the EPL every season since its inception.
    ...[text shortened]... re."

FMF: "And yet Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years". < Completely true.
    Is this really that hard for you?
    Really?

Christians is the group.
    Christians (who) have been persecuting Jews for 2000 years is a sub-group.

So, as you should be able to see by this point, your statement was--- as stated--- partially true.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 02:36
    Is this really that hard for you?
    Really?

Christians is the group.
    Christians (who) have been persecuting Jews for 2000 years is a sub-group.

So, as you should be able to see by this point, your statement was--- as stated--- partially true.
    I do get what you're trying. Once again:

Grampy Bobby: "Despite Anti Semitism, God's four unconditional covenants with Abraham, the father of the Jewish Race, and his progeny guarantee their future."

FMF: "And yet Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years".

What I said was completely true and not partially true.

If I had said 'All Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years' then it would have been untrue.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 02:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    I do get what you're trying. Once again:

FMF: "And yet Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years".

What I said was completely true and not partially true.

If I had said 'All Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years' then it would have been untrue.
    Oh, I see.
    So if you had qualified your statement one way, then it would have meant something entirely different, but as you didn't qualify your statement either way, it means something generic.

Funny how qualifiers work, huh.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 02:50
    Oh, I see.
    So if you had qualified your statement one way, then it would have meant something entirely different, but as you didn't qualify your statement either way, it means something generic.

Funny how qualifiers work, huh.
    I suppose it is. You seem to have stumbled over them here yourself. "All" is a crucial word, of course.

Germans have been holidaying in Spain for over a hundred years. TRUE
    Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years. TRUE
    Indonesians eat rice on a daily basis. TRUE

All Germans have been holidaying in Spain for over a hundred years. NOT TRUE
    All Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years. NOT TRUE
    All Indonesians eat rice on a daily basis. NOT TRUE
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 03:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    I suppose it is. You seem to have stumbled over them here yourself. "All" is a crucial word, of course.

Germans have been holidaying in Spain for over a hundred years. TRUE
    Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years. TRUE
    Indonesians eat rice on a daily basis. TRUE

All Germans have been holidaying in Spain for over a hundred years. NOT TRUE
    A ...[text shortened]... persecuting Jews for 2,000 years. NOT TRUE
    All Indonesians eat rice on a daily basis. NOT TRUE
    Some Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years. TRUE
    Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years. PARTIALLY TRUE

No stumble, really.
    Unless you're looking at your posts.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 03:071 edit
    Some Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years. TRUE
    Christians have been persecuting Jews for 2,000 years. PARTIALLY TRUE

No stumble, really.
    Unless you're looking at your posts.
    Like I said before, if you are not aware of the strains of Christian culture, politics and theology that have contributed to the Christian persecution of Jews over the last 2,000 years, then I can assure you it is a fascinating and disturbing topic and suggest you read up on it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree