1. At the Revolution
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 02:33
    Originally posted by TheSilentHunter
    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I also believe in Christianity, when people say "Prove" God is real. You cant actually prove God "exists", you can only believe he "exists". However when people say God doesnt "exist", there is no proof that he does exist, but also there is no proof that he "doesnt exist."
    Check out some of my other forum posts for some of my logical arguments against religion.
  2. chupacabra palace
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 03:321 edit
    Originally posted by TheSilentHunter
    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I also believe in Christianity, when people say "Prove" God is real. You cant actually prove God "exists", you can only believe he "exists". However when people say God doesnt "exist", there is no proof that he does exist, but also there is no proof that he "doesnt exist."
    yah thats right, you can't say any other god does or does not exist, like most christians do.😠
  3. chupacabra palace
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 03:34
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    The only other things I can think of that cannot be proven or disproven are other, non-christian Gods. You cannot prove or disprove Thor, but I would hope nobody believes in him any more.
    i believe in Thor but as an advanced life form, because he attacked me with Majorn and i @#it myself with beleif.😏
  4. Illinois
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 08:29
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Heh!

I spent the first 27 years of my life looking for a real relationship with God, for a time I thought I had one. I'm not spending any more time on looking for something that either does not exist or that I can't have. I've done my time, mate, if God wants me He has my number.
    I'm sure you were sincere in your seeking, I'm not going to question that. But isn't the Christian walk all about faith? I don't think there was ever a saint who never doubted. Where there is no proof, there will always be doubts. I'm reading this great book by Hannah Whitall Smith, wherein she speaks about the dangers of trusting feeling. Many Christians do not feel they have a relationship with God, and so begin to doubt the whole shabang. The problem though, she says, with trusting feeling is that feeling is consistently inconsistent. The formula of the Christian life, rather, should be 1. fact, 2. faith, and 3. feeling - not the other way around. Exercising faith is reckoning upon the fact of salvation, something one chooses to do, and the experience of the reality follows. There is a conscious effort to believe the evidence of scripture. Is it that your disillusionment with your Christian walk came about because you had a different idea about certainty?
  5. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 08:57
    The most honest and respectable life I would consider would be based around 1. Fact 2. Logic and 3. Ignorance, and not the other way around. For any situation where facts or logic are not achievable, accepting ignorance is the most intellectually respectable thing someone can do.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 10:0313 edits
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Well, that is a tough question to answer. I mean, when I was a Christian I certainly believed I had a relationship with God. Heck, I was in a state of almost constant prayer for a good portion of my teen years.

Looking back, I now understand that what I was feeling was not communion with God, but a combination of wishful thinking and herd behavior.
    God does not exist, and if he does that the NT authors were more accurate than the OT authors!
    Skipper, look out for the, "Oop!".....tree. Sorry, its a Gilligan quote. Just could'nt resisit.

The reason I use it is because what we see and what we believe is directly related to what we have our eyes on or what we are not looking at. Biblically we are told that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Really, you can say this about anything. The more you hear something the more faith you typically have in something or loose faith in something. For example, we buy into things we have no direct proof for all the time. I am sure you believe that pluto exists but have you seen pictures or been there or done mathmatical calculations pointing to its existence? I know I have not, however, we simply defer to others that there is enough proof out there that it exists and the proof is sound. In essence, we place our faith in them. That is why we are told to renew our minds continually in the Bible. My guess is that for whatever reason, you took your eyes off God and began giving place to those that disbelieve. As for my proof, it is wrapped up in the Biblical saying that God is love. Really love is ALL that matters to us. Now you can say that since man places such a premium on love that he created God to be a God of love or you could say that we were simply made in God's image and is why we place such a premium on love. Nonetheless, the fact remains that we place such a huge emphasis on a phenomenon that we cannot see or prove but only experience and even at that at times we question whether it exists at all. Sound familiar? In fact, there seems to be an annoying pain ratio associated with loving other people because there is no garauntee that they will love you back. In fact, there is an almost certainty that you WILL get hurt at some point. However, there is an almost equal certainty that you will find love that is returned your direction. Knowing this do you think it is all still worth it? I say it is although there have been times in my life I would have said otherwise. It reminds me of that song, "Love Stinks". I am sure we have all song it at times to ourselves and even believed it were true at times.

As for your last quote about God being a monster, this also speaks volumes as to why you ended your faith. After all, the greatest commandment is to love God. How can you do so if you think he is a monster? As for myself, I struggle with aspects of various suffering, including suffering he seemed to have been directly responsible for, however, for me it is simply a struggle between good and evil. I don't know of any war minus casualties and suffering. It simply would not be a war, would it? As for the OT God, we can second guess his actions and why he did what he did, however, his motivations seem to have been to end wickedness which is at the opposite spectrum of love. I would even go so far to say that if God were not "love" he would be 100% irrelevant to us in our lives. However, if I could explain to you 100& why God did everything he did and how he did it I would be God. It is only then that faith would not be needed.

Now as for our greatest example of love, lets look to God in the flesh, shall we? In fact, I have a sense that you still love Christ and his ways just as you did before you lost faith in him. How we managed to get by before he ever came remains a mystery to me.

Just some observations from a crazy theist.

Peace.
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 11:00
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The problem is not you talking to your Gods, the problem really starts when those gods start talking to you!
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 11:14
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    The problem is not you talking to your Gods, the problem really starts when those gods start talking to you!
    I take it you have no problems then?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree