1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 17:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    If you knew that something was going to happen that you intensely disliked
    and then it happened. Do you really think your dislike for it would diminish
    to the point you would no longer feel anger when it actually happened?
    When that happens to me it is with a heavy heart that held out hope that what seemed inevitable, wasn't really. That is because I am not omniscient, so hopefully I could be wrong. A simple example is when I see that I have blundered at chess I hope my opponent won't see it, even if he's a 2000+ player like you. So I do feel it when the move comes, but that's because I wasn't certain he would see it.

Look at it from the other point of view. When I am certain something is going to happen, I can accept it, and deal with it more rationally. They say people who learn that they or a loved one are terminally ill go through stages that may include denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

I think a god that is omniscient from time immemorial would be at the acceptance stage from time immemorial. In fact for a god to go ahead and create a universe while knowing everything that is going to happen in it, sends a message that the god accepts what is going to happen or that god would not have created that universe.

But my bottom line is that it is just too much anthropomorphism and making something in our own image, to ascribe emotions to a god. Believe it if you want to, you don't have to think the way I do.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 17:471 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    When that happens to me it is with a heavy heart that held out hope that what seemed inevitable, wasn't really. That is because I am not omniscient, so hopefully I could be wrong. A simple example is when I see that I have blundered at chess I hope my opponent won't see it, even if he's a 2000+ player like you. So I do feel it when the move comes, but that's b scribe emotions to a god. Believe it if you want to, you don't have to think the way I do.
    So you think God does not deal with His emotions in a rational way.
    Okay, I understand that. But is it possible you could be wrong since
    you are not omniscient? Also how do you know God is omniscient,
    since that term is not used in the Holy Bible. It is true that God must
    know a lot more that any of us to have created the universe. But if
    He knows everything that could possibly be known then He could not
    learn like we can. What scripture reference do you have that proves
    God can not learn?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 19:52
    So you think God does not deal with His emotions in a rational way.
    Okay, I understand that. But is it possible you could be wrong since
    you are not omniscient? Also how do you know God is omniscient,
    since that term is not used in the Holy Bible. It is true that God must
    know a lot more that any of us to have created the universe. But if
    He knows ...[text shortened]... ld not
    learn like we can. What scripture reference do you have that proves
    God can not learn?
    I don't think you understand me quite the way I intend. I am talking about an omniscient creator god and you are talking about God, which is a much more detailed concept. One of the details is that it has emotions (another being apparently that it has gender). Both of these details are from the Bible so they can't be disputed. It would be like saying Shakespeare's Hamlet didn't contemplate suicide. If you say a character didn't contemplate suicide, it wasn't Hamlet. So if I say something about a god that is untrue, then I'm not talking about God.

The god I am talking about, because it is omniscient, does not have emotional reactions to things. If this god regretted something that happened, it would not have happened unless it was impossible for god to change and then the god wouldn't regret it; knowing that it was just the way the universe is. And I can
    t imagine an omniscient god ever being surprised, whether happily or sadly.

Emotions are a spur to action, that's why we have them. This god needs no such thing as a spur to action.

I haven't stipulated whether this god always thinks or acts rationally or not. I imagine it would. Is there Biblical support for God, one way or the other?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 20:43
    Originally posted by mikelom
    , assuming there may be a God of course, in the same way we have emotions?
    Abraham had been told by God that he would have descendants, even though he and his wife were well past the normal age for having children, and once, when he was around 100 and his wife was near 90, he had some visitors who told him that he and his wife would be parents within the year. His wife was listening behind a room divider and started laughing to herself, thinking "at my age! Really!"

Later, when the child was born, God told Abraham to name the child Isaac, which means "laughter". If that is not a sense of humor, I don't know what is.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 21:19
    I don't think you understand me quite the way I intend. I am talking about an omniscient creator god and you are talking about God, which is a much more detailed concept. One of the details is that it has emotions (another being apparently that it has gender). Both of these details are from the Bible so they can't be disputed. It would be like saying Shakespea ...[text shortened]... y or not. I imagine it would. Is there Biblical support for God, one way or the other?
    You have made an idol for yourself, a god of your own choosing. This god
    of yours is a false god and is not God at all. We are made in the image of
    God. So for the answer to the question all you really have to do is look at
    us. Do we have emotions? Yes, we do. We just don't control them very
    well.
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 21:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Abraham had been told by God that he would have descendants, even though he and his wife were well past the normal age for having children, and once, when he was around 100 and his wife was near 90, he had some visitors who told him that he and his wife would be parents within the year. His wife was listening behind a room divider and started laughing to h ...[text shortened]... hild Isaac, which means "laughter". If that is not a sense of humor, I don't know what is.
    That's actuary funny. 😉

-m.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 22:074 edits
    You have made an idol for yourself, a god of your own choosing. This god
    of yours is a false god and is not God at all. We are made in the image of
    God. So for the answer to the question all you really have to do is look at
    us. Do we have emotions? Yes, we do. We just don't control them very
    well.
    I agree with your accusation about a false god. It would be hubris -- prideful arrogance -- to claim that my intellect can hold a completely accurate picture of God. But I do not believe that our being made in God's image, means God has every property we have. Our emotions might in fact be given to us to help make up for our lack of omniscience and omnipotence, because they work in situations where there isn't all the information, or ability, or time to figure out a way to react to something. But we have to learn to respond to our emotions wisely and morally.

I can see how some would think that God is emotionally driven, but actually He cannot be. If He has emotions, they aren't what He uses to determine his actions. He uses His complete knowledge and perfect wisdom. In fact, His emotions and his rational consideration of the facts might be combined in some way ours are not because of our imperfections. For sure, they'd never conflict.

At least, that's what my my limited intellect comes up with, on God.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 22:32
    I agree with your accusation about a false god. It would be hubris -- prideful arrogance -- to claim that my intellect can hold a completely accurate picture of God. But I do not believe that our being made in God's image, means God has every property we have. Our emotions might in fact be given to us to help make up for our lack of omniscience and omnipotence ...[text shortened]... y'd never conflict.

At least, that's what my my limited intellect comes up with, on God.
    It seems to me that you are beginning to understand.
  9. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 23:35

;For the books of christian knowledge do say clearly that he/ made man/ in his own image.

Does he/, if he/ is amongst us, deliberately cause landslides, floods, disasters on a huge scale, because he/ didn't get his/ 'eggs and bacon' for breakfast, or prayers?

Would he/ someti ...[text shortened]... ve him/ to do so?

he/ 'oblique' refers to all sexes as they possibly can be.

-m. 😉
    depends on which god you're talking about.

when it comes to the abrahamic god, yes, he does indeed have them to the point of having become completely insane.

but if we go with a generic god concept, you have to define it further, did this god create the universe? if so, why?

-if it serves some kind of survival need for the god, then it doesn't necessarily have emotions.
    -if it serves some kind of need for fulfillment, then it must necessarily have emotions.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 23:42
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    depends on which god you're talking about.

when it comes to the abrahamic god, yes, he does indeed have them to the point of having become completely insane.

but if we go with a generic god concept, you have to define it further, did this god create the universe? if so, why?

-if it serves some kind of survival need for the god, then it doesn't n ...[text shortened]... ons.
    -if it serves some kind of need for fulfillment, then it must necessarily have emotions.
    -if it serves some kind of need for fulfillment, then it must necessarily have
    emotions.

It is had to believe but you finally got something right.
  11. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    01 Nov '11 00:04
    -if it serves some kind of need for fulfillment, then it must necessarily have
    emotions.

It is had to believe but you finally got something right.
    i don't know what you're getting at, i've argued this angle before. for example, your god's unhealthy emotional need for attention and praise.

an emotional being is subject to the whole gamut of emotional problems.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Nov '11 00:33
    It seems to me that you are beginning to understand.
    OK so I guess my opinion is that God has emotions but... I will go with the idea that our emotional and rational sides (if 'rational' is the right complementary faculty to emotion) are in the image of God, and in God they are united into one thing, the divine will, a will which needs not to 'figure things out' nor is it enslaved by the emotions. In us the two are split apart, and it is our challenge/opportunity to bring them into harmony without sacrificing one to the other.

Hopefully this amateur theology will make Him happy. 😉
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Nov '11 00:35
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    i don't know what you're getting at, i've argued this angle before. for example, your god's unhealthy emotional need for attention and praise.

an emotional being is subject to the whole gamut of emotional problems.
    Well, at least you are partially right. That is a start.
    Before I would classified you as a complete idiot.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Nov '11 00:43
    OK so I guess my opinion is that God has emotions but... I will go with the idea that our emotional and rational sides (if 'rational' is the right complementary faculty to emotion) are in the image of God, and in God they are united into one thing, the divine will, a will which needs not to 'figure things out' nor is it enslaved by the emotions. In us the two ...[text shortened]... out sacrificing one to the other.

Hopefully this amateur theology will make Him happy. 😉
    Yes, I think the problem is with our sinful nature that we have inherited
    throughout the generations of mankind.
  15. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    01 Nov '11 01:00

;For the books of christian knowledge do say clearly that he/ made man/ in his own image.

Does he/, if he/ is amongst us, deliberately cause landslides, floods, disasters on a huge scale, because he/ didn't get his/ 'eggs and bacon' for breakfast, or prayers?

Would he/ someti ...[text shortened]... ve him/ to do so?

he/ 'oblique' refers to all sexes as they possibly can be.

-m. 😉
    What in the world would our Lord and Creator need smilies for? Now you're just being silly. 😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree