1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 11:18
    Originally posted by Jigtie
    Interesting. If you don't claim knowledge on the question of divinity, doesn't that make you an
    agnostic by definition? The only reason I don't call myself an atheist is that I fail to see how I can
    possibly know one way or the other, though I too tend to think of the supernatural as highly unlikely.
    I have no use for the term 'agnostic.' People go by the false assumption that there are three separate categories: theism, agnosticism and atheism. This is completely and utterly incorrect. There are only TWO categories: theism and atheism, and everyone is one or the other. If you believe in a god then you are a theist. If you are not a theist, then by definition you are an atheist (without theism). It doesn't matter whether you claim to "know" god does not exist, or whether you suspect he probably doesn't, both are sufficient to make you an atheist. 'Agnostic' can be used to qualify one's theism or atheism, as in agnostic theist, or agnostic atheist, but it does not exist as a separate category despite its popular usage as one.

'Agnostic', as it is commonly used, is a term appropriated by charlatans and linguistic fools who buy into the mistaken notion that all atheists claim to "know" that god does not exist. Very few atheists make that foolhardy claim. Even the notorious Richard Dawkins does not claim to "know" that god does not exist. Even he leaves open the possibility that he may be wrong.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 11:55
    Originally posted by rwingett
    ... 'Agnostic' can be used to qualify one's theism or atheism, as in agnostic theist, or agnostic atheist, but it does not exist as a separate category despite its popular usage as one.....
    What is proper and accurate language is defined by popular usage.
    Nobody can prescribe what accurate language is but the users.
    However someone can describe what people mean when a word is used, and the word agnostic has a clear meaning as distinct from atheist. You feel that people should not be using agnostic but you cannot prescribe how people should use the term.
  3. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 11:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    Well trust me, Rwingett has ALL the answers so believe him when he says that on one can know the truth......wait a second, how does he then know the truth about this? Now my head hurts.

Anyhew, do you or can you know anything with 100% certainty?
    Sounds like you object to him usurping your proper job. Like it or not we all live with uncertainty AND delusion. How much you are willing to ascribe to one and not the other is something you must work out for yourself.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 11:59
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    What is proper and accurate language is defined by popular usage.
    Nobody can [b]prescribe
    what accurate language is but the users.
    However someone can describe what people mean when a word is used, and the word agnostic has a clear meaning as distinct from atheist. You feel that people should not be using agnostic but you cannot prescribe how people should use the term.[/b]
    I will do what I can to rehabilitate the word 'atheist' to its actual meaning instead of acquiescing to a popular misconception.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 12:45
    I will do what I can to rehabilitate the word 'atheist' to its actual meaning instead of acquiescing to a popular misconception.
    You will have to "acquiesce to a popular usage.".
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 13:01
    Uh...no I won't.
  7. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 13:15
    A logician rebukes you:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it
    means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."

How do you think popular usage becomes popular usage?
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 15:41
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    I think the question is: do YOU care how I worship? Is it any of your business? Is my worship (or lack of) for you to judge, criticize, interpret, censure, condemn, denounce, or reprimand? Or, should you just let me take responsibility for my own thoughts, feelings, and actions (as long as I am not injuring someone else) and try with all your might to do the same for yourself?
    It's just a simple question.
  9. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 15:51
    Uh...no I won't.
    LOL! Say hi to the charlatan and linguistic fool Jigtie. Ta-taaa!

Seriously, I see what you mean. Lacking a belief in God is not the same as knowing with certainty
    there is no God. Being an agnostic however, I'm sure, means that you're absolutely certain we
    cannot know anything about the supernatural one way or the other. It's not a belief, it's certainty
    based on simple logic. We don't have the senses to actually know about anything but the physical
    world we live in.

I'm an agnostic atheist, then. I'm certain we can't know about such things, and I don't believe in God.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 16:38
    Originally posted by Jigtie
    LOL! Say hi to the charlatan and linguistic fool Jigtie. Ta-taaa!

Seriously, I see what you mean. Lacking a belief in God is not the same as knowing with certainty
    there is no God. Being an agnostic however, I'm sure, means that you're absolutely certain we
    cannot know anything about the supernatural one way or the other. It's not a belief, it's certai ...[text shortened]... atheist, then. I'm certain we can't know about such things, and I don't believe in God.
    I'm an agnostic atheist as well, but I think the distinction is unnecessary. Just 'atheist' is sufficient.
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 19:49
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Does God really care how you worship him?
    Yes, He wants you to in a respectful way.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 23:08
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Yes, He wants you to in a respectful way.
    True. He would desrve that of course. Would you say your worship would have to be any certian way for him to accept it?
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 23:26
    Originally posted by galveston75
    True. He would desrve that of course. Would you say your worship would have to be any certian way for him to accept it?
    I know .. there MUST be the words KINGDOM HALL written outside the building....😀
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 00:26
    I know .. there MUST be the words KINGDOM HALL written outside the building....😀
    Not today Raj...You really have no idea what EVERYONE says about you in private messages do you? Get a life!!!!!
  15. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 00:272 edits
    Yes of course God cares...the question is do you care?

Everyone it seems is born with this same question.!!! Why am I here? whats my purpose or how did I get here?

and to make it easy for you the answers are multiple question, now you select what answer you believe is correct

( )1:- Atheist - they believe in nothing, they believe they come from nothing, they miracously appear and live just like you and I, but believe they will go back to nothing....do you honestly believe that? not much hope in this belief...tick the box if you honestly believe this theory.

( )2:-Evolutionists - they believe we originated from apes? and those that believe in evolution have constantly believe every different theory about which monkey is our ancestor....so dont you get it wrong when I say christians dont have an issue with science, because we don't, but evolutionists dispute creation because its not scientific, but neither is evolution...do you honestly believe every changing theory about how we got here?

( )3:- Devil worshiping - Not even going there.

( )4:- Creation God is the creator of earth and all living things, you can't believe in God or have faith if you ticked one of the answers above...But to make it to the kingdom of heaven you must not let your head rule you, but instead believe with all of your heart also, and all your soul...if you accept answer 4 then your accepting your ways are not Gods ways, you must confess with your mouth that that Jesus is lord....this answer makes much more sense than the others, I will tick this one...by ticking this box you will begin to understand that those that have selected any of the above three answers will always object to you until they too may accept Gods creation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree