1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 01:05
    Does the level of intelligence correlate with the degree to which one is religious? I get the impression many atheists think of those who are religious as weak minded and of less than desirable intellect. I also get the impression from many christians that increased intellect often translates into increased faith in God.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 01:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    Does the level of intelligence correlate with the degree to which one is religious?
    I doubt it.
  3. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 01:44
    Does the level of intelligence correlate with the degree to which one is religious? I get the impression many atheists think of those who are religious as weak minded and of less than desirable intellect. I also get the impression from many christians that increased intellect often translates into increased faith in God.
    Some definitions are called for here:

1) Level of intelligence - who measures? How?

2) Degree of religiosity? In whose eyes?

3) God... surely you jest?

4) Faith... Is she a singer?

5) Increased christian intellect... Gimme a break! 😛
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 01:53
    All christians are stupid. Except for the ones who are smart.
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 03:56
    No. They are uncorrelated in levels, however belief in God is strongly negatively correlated in logs.

If you don't get this, then go ask your pastor, or better yet, pray about it.
  6. Meddling with things
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 07:39
    Some of the world's greatest thinkers have been religious. Others of the world's greatest thinkers have been atheists.

There have been stupid people in both camps.

Then there are the fundies of all persuasions who choose dogma rather than think for thenselves.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 07:50

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 08:47
    Atheists do not believe that theists are less intelligent- just fundamentalists and creationists.

There's a difference.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 08:56
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Atheists do not believe that theists are less intelligent- just fundamentalists and creationists.

There's a difference.
    Agreed, I know a lot of very intelligent theists, but not a single creationist I have ever met has come across as anything more than a moron.
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 09:07
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/aftereden/cartoons/20051031.gif
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 10:32
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Agreed, I know a lot of very intelligent theists, but not a single creationist I have ever met has come across as anything more than a moron.
    That reminds me. I was accosted four days ago in the city by a born again christian. He gave me this coin with the ten commandments inscribed on it and he explained how "God punishes us for our evil just as we punish thieves". Looking for an argument I told him there was no free will so God is being unreasonable. If God is unreasonable then he musn't exist.

I dont think he liked me after just 20 minutes of conversation- 😏.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 10:54
    I beleive there is some correlation between higher education and reliousity. I believe that the proportion of atheists amoungst degree holders is higher than amoungst non-degree holders. However one would also have to check income levels etc to confirm whether it is the education and not some other factor at play here.
    Cirtainly most scientists are not creationist but the question then is whether creationists avoid science or whether only those with lack of scientific ability become creationist.
    What I do no is that most people of average or even slightly above average intelligence are perfectly capable of holding totally irrational views. Many facets of slavery, racism, denial of AIDS and issues surrounding infidellity for example, often seem totally irrational to the rest of us and yet are engaged in by people who otherwise seem reasonably intelligent.
  13. Joined
    07 Apr '04
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 11:50
    Originally posted by rwingett
    All christians are stupid. Except for the ones who are smart.
    🙂)
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 11:53
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    That reminds me. I was accosted four days ago in the city by a born again christian. He gave me this coin with the ten commandments inscribed on it and he explained how "God punishes us for our evil just as we punish thieves". Looking for an argument I told him there was no free will so God is being unreasonable. If God is unreasonable then he musn't exist.

I dont think he liked me after just 20 minutes of conversation- 😏.
    I love the ones that give you a special coin or something 'as a gift' and then talk to you for ten minutes before asking for a donation. When you don't give them one, they take their 'gift' back again.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 12:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I beleive there is some correlation between higher education and reliousity. I believe that the proportion of atheists amoungst degree holders is higher than amoungst non-degree holders. However one would also have to check income levels etc to confirm whether it is the education and not some other factor at play here.
    Cirtainly most scientists are not c ...[text shortened]... al to the rest of us and yet are engaged in by people who otherwise seem reasonably intelligent.
    So you do not think that intelligence and rationality are correlated.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree