1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    Again, what do you call "discrimination?
    Anything other than equal before the law. So, for example, if the state recognizes heterosexual marriage (the argument over whether it should be doing this is a another topic) then an absence of systematic discrimination would mean it recognizes homosexual marriage too. Should Christians support efforts to resist such equality before the law and therefore, in doing so, support discrimination against homosexuals?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    Anything other than equal before the law. So, for example, if the state recognizes heterosexual marriage (the argument over whether it should be doing this is a another topic) then an absence of systematic discrimination would mean it recognizes homosexual marriage too. Should Christians support efforts to resist such equality before the law and therefore, in doing so, support discrimination against homosexuals?
    But to me supporting marriage between a monogamous couple discriminates against polygamists and even singles.

Why should married monogamous people have any more rights than anyone else?

Until you can answer that, you are the one in favor of discrimination.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:47
    Case in point is slavery in the US. At one time it was deemed to be OK by many "Christians" when it was legal. However, centuries later being made illegal, the morality of slavery seems repugnant.
    Proponents of slavery were able to justify their beliefs and actions with material from the Bible.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    Proponents of slavery were able to justify their beliefs and actions with material from the Bible.
    And so do those who condemn slavery.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:50
    But to me supporting marriage between a monogamous couple discriminates against polygamists and even singles.
    So you think it's alright for Christians to support systematic discrimination against homosexuals on account of the polygamy issue you raise, is that right?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:51
    And so do those who condemn slavery.
    Why do you think slavery is repugnant then?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you think it's alright for Christians to support systematic discrimination against homosexuals on account of the polygamy issue you raise, is that right?
    You still have not defined what you consider to be discrimination.

Again, is discrimination merely saying that such behavior is an abomination to God?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:52
    Originally posted by sh76
    I get that many religions condemn homosexual activity. Fine. But does that mean that its adherents are required to persecute non-adherents for such activity? If so, can someone explain to me the logic behind this?
    As far as I can discern there is no mandate in Christianity to persecute homosexuals. There may be a mandate to persuade others to adopt the tenets of Christianity but how this can be construed as persecution is not entirely very clear.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:53
    You still have not defined what you consider to be discrimination.
    Yes I did. Quite succinctly in fact.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    As far as I can discern there is no mandate in Christianity to persecute homosexuals. There may be a mandate to persuade others to adopt the tenets of Christianity but how this can be construed as persecution is not entirely very clear.
    I don't see any of the apostles of Christ persecuting anyone.

Before the advent of Constantine's theocracy, Christians were just lion food that served as a good entertainment value.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes I did. Quite succinctly in fact.
    Then tell me again, yes or no, is saying that homosexual behavior is an abomination to God discrimination against them?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 09:01
    Again, is discrimination merely saying that such behavior is an abomination to God?
    No. I personally would see this as superstition and it would only become discrimination if it were reflected in the law. It doesn't much matter to me whether you [or other posters here] think homosexuals are disgusting or not. I am more concerned about people who find homosexuals disgusting being able wield power and so affect whether homosexuals actually experience equality before the law and which way that trend is going.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 09:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. I personally would see this as superstition and it would only become discrimination if it were reflected in the law. It doesn't much matter to me whether you [or other posters here] think homosexuals are disgusting or not. I am more concerned about people who find homosexuals disgusting being able wield power and so affect whether homosexuals actually experience equality before the law and which way that trend is going.
    The lifestyles of homosexuals, especially gay men, seem to be very promiscuous.

For example, in the US gay men account for about 5% of the population but also account for well over half of new AIDS and STD's every year in the US.

Now some people find promiscuous behavior to be disgusting, do you?

As for gay marriage, the verdict is still out on whether it can curb these numbers, if at all.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 09:18
    Now some people find promiscuous behavior to be disgusting, do you?
    No I am not disgusted by promiscuity. I do however think willfully or negligently infecting someone else with a disease is immoral.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 09:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is an over generalization. Some Christians in the past did not persecute Jews and some Christians to this day persecute Jews.
    What has mostly changed is secular law which prevents Christians from persecuting Jews.
    If there are any such laws, I'm sure they are largely unnecessary today.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree