1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 05:33
    Originally posted by whodey

Now some people find promiscuous behavior to be disgusting, do you?

Do you mean
    1. some people find the idea of themselves being promiscuous disgusting.
    or
    2. some people find the idea of others being promiscuous disgusting.
    ?

1. Is personal choice.
    2. Is poking your nose into the private life of others.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 22:52
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Homophobia. That seems obvious.
    Homophobia based on what, though? Is it based on religious doctrine or is the religious doctrine merely an excuse. I strongly suspect the former.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 08:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    As I have argued before, maybe polygamists should have the right to have their marriages recognized by the state too. If, say, one is the second or third wife in a polygamous marriage to the same man, you might need - more than ever - clarity and certainty about your status, by way of legal protection and recognition by society (as manifested in the government) ...[text shortened]... s before the other(s), or the marriage breaks down, or there are financial responsibilities etc.
    I'm not convinced. Polygamy strikes me as being about "control" and "status". How can marriage possibly be considered equal, if there is one man, yet several women? Do all the women "equal" one man?

Besides, every marriage ceremony I've ever seen talks about "cleaving only unto each other". Polygamy simply gives one side (and usually one side only, and usually the man) sexual freedom not granted to the other side. It's an issue of "having your cake and eating it too", so to speak. This is just the Western version of "harems". Not good for women.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 08:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    Homophobia based on what, though? Is it based on religious doctrine or is the religious doctrine merely an excuse. I strongly suspect the former.
    Yes, pretty much based on religious doctrine.

But I've seen homophobic atheists, too, though. As if a homosexual is an affront to one's own heterosexuality. Maybe they're afraid one will try to "turn them gay" or something. Men don't react well when they're afraid of something, no matter what it is. Men always seem to think that "being afraid" means they're "not a man". I blame society for this.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 08:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Do you mean
    1. some people find the idea of themselves being promiscuous disgusting.
    or
    2. some people find the idea of others being promiscuous disgusting.
    ?

1. Is personal choice.
    2. Is poking your nose into the private life of others.
    I disagree. Neither is really a choice, and it is only poking your nose into the personal lives of others if you do something about it, and only a serious issue if you try to prevent others from being promiscuous or in some way negatively affect them because of your disgust.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 08:31
    Besides, every marriage ceremony I've ever seen talks about "cleaving only unto each other".
    All that tells us is that you have never been to a polygamous marriage ceremony.

Polygamy simply gives one side (and usually one side only, and usually the man) sexual freedom not granted to the other side. It's an issue of "having your cake and eating it too", so to speak. This is just the Western version of "harems". Not good for women.
    There are situations in which it is good for women. Your apparent assumption that the only good to be derived is 'sexual freedom' seems somewhat narrow. There are many women who choose to enter a polygamous marriage and they have good reasons for doing so.
    There are of course also many women that choose to enter into polygamous relationships that are not recognized marriages.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 08:381 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    All that tells us is that you have never been to a polygamous marriage ceremony.

[b]Polygamy simply gives one side (and usually one side only, and usually the man) sexual freedom not granted to the other side. It's an issue of "having your cake and eating it too", so to speak. This is just the Western version of "harems". Not good for women.

Th ...[text shortened]... many women that choose to enter into polygamous relationships that are not recognized marriages.[/b]
    And, of course, there are women who are Republicans.

Women are not immune to working against their best interests.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 08:411 edit
    Probably because polygamy is illegal in all 50 states of America.

And so is bestiality, and pedophilia.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 09:26
    And, of course, there are women who are Republicans.

Women are not immune to working against their best interests.
    And you have provided no evidence whatsoever that the women in question are working against their best interests.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 09:31
    Probably because polygamy is illegal in all 50 states of America.

And so is bestiality, and pedophilia.
    I am well aware of that. So you stating that you have not been to a polygamist marriage ceremony does not tell us anything about whether or not polygamy is a good thing.
    Here in Africa on the other hand, polygamy is legal in many countries. I don't know about bestiality or paedophilia, and I find it interesting that you seek to associate them with polygamy. Doing so typically indicates that you lack any rational arguments for your position so are forced to go with irrational arguments.

In Saudi Arabia it is illegal for women to drive, and so is bestiality. This must mean that women driving is clearly a really bad thing similar to bestiality. Do you drive Suzianne?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 19:071 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 20:14
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Well, from what I have noticed, it seems that most women who are Republicans are also in families with financial security, either from their own efforts or their husband's, so yes, I can understand that it could be perceived that their support of the Republican Party could be based on a personal and family desire for them to retain their wealth. Most Republicans (male and female) in America are at the high end of the income disparity. I assume that often, their interest in supporting the Republican Party rises with their income. Despite their wish to be seen as "inclusive", the GOP does not support women, or the poor.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 20:15
    I am well aware of that. So you stating that you have not been to a polygamist marriage ceremony does not tell us anything about whether or not polygamy is a good thing.
    Here in Africa on the other hand, polygamy is legal in many countries. I don't know about bestiality or paedophilia, and I find it interesting that you seek to associate them with polyg ...[text shortened]... n that women driving is clearly a really bad thing similar to bestiality. Do you drive Suzianne?
    Polygamy, along with bestiality and pedophilia, is seen as part of that "big three" of moral failings in America. It's a common attitude.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 21:432 edits
    Polygamy, along with bestiality and pedophilia, is seen as part of that "big three" of moral failings in America. It's a common attitude.
    Bestiality, homosexuality and women drivers are seen as the "big three" of moral failings in Saudi Arabia. (alcohol is number four).

I notice that you forgot homosexuality and abortion. Perhaps because you personally do not object to them?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 02:01
    Bestiality, homosexuality and women drivers are seen as the "big three" of moral failings in Saudi Arabia. (alcohol is number four).

I notice that you forgot homosexuality and abortion. Perhaps because you personally do not object to them?
    Or, perhaps because they are not illegal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree