1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 02:13
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Christians aren't 'required' to persecute anyone, and those who do, especially in the name of their faith, actually have very little faith, indeed.
    I cannot think of any scripture that tells us to persecute anyone.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 02:24
    I'm not convinced. Polygamy strikes me as being about "control" and "status". How can marriage possibly be considered equal, if there is one man, yet several women? Do all the women "equal" one man?

Besides, every marriage ceremony I've ever seen talks about "cleaving only unto each other". Polygamy simply gives one side (and usually one side only, a ...[text shortened]... eating it too", so to speak. This is just the Western version of "harems". Not good for women.
    So polygamy is not good for women.

Is gay sex good for men considering that they comprise of most AIDS cases in the US even though they are a small minority?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 02:41
    I'm not convinced. Polygamy strikes me as being about "control" and "status". How can marriage possibly be considered equal, if there is one man, yet several women? Do all the women "equal" one man?
    I'd say that, as long as there is informed consent, and there are legal protections, that the psychological aspects of polygamous relationships are none of our business.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 02:47
    Polygamy, along with bestiality and pedophilia, is seen as part of that "big three" of moral failings in America. It's a common attitude.
    Why is polygamy seen as immoral? I could understand how bigamy involving deception or fraud could be said to be immoral, but not - in and of itself - polygamy. And I certainly don't understand why you lump it in with bestiality and pedophilia. Surely the moral issues surrounding engaging in bestiality and pedophilia are completely different?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 07:21
    Or, perhaps because they are not illegal.
    But you didn't say 'its the law', you said 'its a common attitude'. The truth is that I only ever hear bestiality and polygamy come up in relation to homosexuality when the speaker uses the argument 'gay marriage? what next? polygamy? bestiality?'.

I must also point out that interracial marriage has been illegal in parts of the US in the past.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 13:42
    Originally posted by sh76
    Homophobia based on what, though? Is it based on religious doctrine or is the religious doctrine merely an excuse. I strongly suspect the former.
    It's not so simple as either of the options. People, especially when they get older, tend to cling on to beliefs that they obtained in their youth and young adulthood. So we have people, like for instance whodey in this thread, who were raised with the idea that homosexuality is icky. It doesn't matter so much whether there was once a religious basis for this idea, perhaps for one of whodey's ancestors or people who lived in American society long before him - although the fact that Christian holy scripture does condemn homosexuality probably does help maintain superstitions against homosexuals in the view of certain Christians.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 13:47

Besides, every marriage ceremony I've ever seen talks about "cleaving only unto each other". Polygamy simply gives one side (and usually one side only, a ...[text shortened]... eating it too", so to speak. This is just the Western version of "harems". Not good for women.
    Who are you to determine for other, consenting adults what is "good" for them? It seems very much to me that your attitude towards polygamy is analogous to the attitudes towards homosexuality that you condemn.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 13:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'd say that, as long as there is informed consent, and there are legal protections, that the psychological aspects of polygamous relationships are none of our business.
    There is nothing in the Bible that says a man should only have one wife. There is a suggestion that leaders and elders in the church to have only one. The implication is that the general congregation could have more than one if they so choose.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 14:45
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    There is nothing in the Bible that says a man should only have one wife. There is a suggestion that leaders and elders in the church to have only one. The implication is that the general congregation could have more than one if they so choose.
    'You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife' (singular).

Or how about:

'Nevertheless to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.' 1 Corinthians 7:2
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 14:58
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    'You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife' (singular).

Or how about:

'Nevertheless to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.' 1 Corinthians 7:2
    Include in your interpretation of those passages a little of the culture at that time. It was normal for a man to have more than one. Kings had them by the hundreds and this was sanctioned by God. If it was a sin then it would have been dealt with by the Apostle. Instead only bishops and deacons were required to have one.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 15:11
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    That depends on what you regard as a call for persecution, there are ambiguous passages; for example, the following does not clearly call for persecution but could easily be interpreted as doing so by someone who wanted to do a little persecuting:
    26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 and likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Romans 1:26-32
    AKJV
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 15:15
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Include in your interpretation of those passages a little of the culture at that time. It was normal for a man to have more than one. Kings had them by the hundreds and this was sanctioned by God. If it was a sin then it would have been dealt with by the Apostle. Instead only bishops and deacons were required to have one.
    I think it is rather telling though that the only survivors of the flood were four monogamous couples.

🙂
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 15:54
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    That depends on what you regard as a call for persecution, there are ambiguous passages; for example, the following does not clearly call for persecution but could easily be interpreted as doing so by someone who wanted to do a little persecuting:
    26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural u ...[text shortened]... only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Romans 1:26-32
    AKJV
    Again nothing suggests persecution even what you highlighted does not say kill them, only that they are worthy of death.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 15:59
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I think it is rather telling though that the only survivors of the flood were four monogamous couples.

🙂
    It is even more telling that some that are destined for the Kingdom of God had wives by the hundreds .. 😀
  15. Germany
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 16:10
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Hmm. Did you consider thinking of the Bible?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree