1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 17:24
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]Do you see the ramifications of one man in a room and how in fact that's exactly why we need politics and religion is a personal thing?

I agree with you that religion should be a personal matter. However, with Christianity there is a special time of worship and fellowship with other believers which form an integral p ...[text shortened]... stigmatised) in a respecful and amicable manner is by no means overstepping personal boundaries.[/b]
    good, we have more in agreement.

It's when religion enters into politics that the church and state conflict is, as its an attempt to put everyman in the same room.
    Which has been established here 2 or more men in a room gives rise to politics.
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 17:36
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    good, we have more in agreement.

It's when religion enters into politics that the church and state conflict is, as its an attempt to put everyman in the same room.
    Which has been established here 2 or more men in a room gives rise to politics.
    Sure. Although I agree with you that the Church and the State should be seperate entities, they should both be under God. By that I mean the state should not submit itself to a certain religion, but should itself uphold the basic moral ethic while administering justice.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 17:44
    Sure. Although I agree with you that the Church and the State should be seperate entities, they should both be under God. By that I mean the state should not submit itself to a certain religion, but should itself uphold the basic moral ethic while administering justice.
    Sounds good to me, but I don't really understand the "be under God" part. When you say what you mean by it, God doesn't come into the picture (which in my opinion is as it should be). Maybe I missed something there.
  4. Meddling with things
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 18:20
    The only question remains: which basic moral ethic should be upheld when the state administers justice?
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 18:52
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    The only question remains: which basic moral ethic should be upheld when the state administers justice?
    Ah. Some examples: The right to life. The right to a fair trial. Equality before the law. Respect of property not your own. All that jazz.

You'd be surprised that these are all biblical principles.
  6. Meddling with things
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 19:24
    Ah. Some examples: The right to life. The right to a fair trial. Equality before the law. Respect of property not your own. All that jazz.

So when Leviticus lays down the law regulating the keeping of slaves how does that equate to equality before the law?
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 19:271 edit

what's truely is suprising about the bible is the difference between Christ's word and the god in the old testament.
    The same things were part of the code of Hammurabi.
  8. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 19:32

So, if I wanted to research tort law, where should I look in the Bible? Thanks in advance.
  9. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 20:21
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    what's truely is suprising about the bible is the difference between Christ's word and the god in the old testament.
    The same things were part of the code of Hammurabi.
    Point conceded. Too tired to debate that one.
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 20:26
    Originally posted by bbarr
    So, if I wanted to research tort law, where should I look in the Bible? Thanks in advance.
    The case law of Exodus 20-22 and Leviticus 18-22. I know that I've just opened a can of worms, but bring it on...

I'd advise looking at the principles that lies behind the law.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 00:44
    They tried that in the USSR; I concede that it was in a less radical way than you are proposing, but it just didn't seem to work. I contend that as long as you have one human in a room there is the posibility of religion in its widests sense. So long as there are humans on this planet, there will be religion.
    I think first you have politics then the power dudes decide which
    religion to stuff down your maw.
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 06:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think first you have politics then the power dudes decide which
    religion to stuff down your maw.
    Don't you think stuffing the absence of religion down someones maw is just as objectionable?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree