1. Meddling with things
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 12:42
    its not allowed. No comment is allowed on child molesters who hide behind religion. We obviously approve of this behaviour and defend their right to wreck children's lives.

Bah humbug
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 13:48
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    its not allowed. No comment is allowed on child molesters who hide behind religion. We obviously approve of this behaviour and defend their right to wreck children's lives.

Bah humbug
    I think we can safely conclude that anyone who alerted the "offensive religious jokes" thead is a child molester themselves.
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 13:54
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I think we can safely conclude that anyone who alerted the "offensive religious jokes" thead is a child molester themselves.
    The problem with "offensive religious jokes" is that the jokes are normally offensive to religious people.
  4. London
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 13:541 edit

Bah humbug
    It wasn't just a comment on child molesters. It was the stereotyping of priests as criminals. It completely ignored the fact that 99% of all priests have never been involved in any such incident. It completely undermined the good work done by priests as a whole worldwide.

It was the equivalent of a joke where Germans are stereotyped as Nazis.

It was offensive.

EDIT: Oh, and it violated the TOS.
  5. Meddling with things
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 13:56
    Originally posted by Halitose
    The problem with "offensive religious jokes" is that the jokes are normally offensive to religious people.
    Are the relious to be protected from offence? They happily dish it out!
  6. Meddling with things
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 13:591 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    It wasn't just a comment on child molesters. It was the stereotyping of priests as criminals. It completely ignored the fact that 99% of all priests have never been involved in any such incident. It completely undermined the good work done by priests as a whole worldwide.

It was the equivalent of a joke where Germans are stereotyped as Nazis.

It was offensive.
    The joke did not diminish the good done by priests. The cover-up by the church did far more to undermine the credibility of priests.

What does the 'yo mama' thread do for stereotyping? Who might that offend?
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:01
    Are the relious to be protected from offence? They happily dish it out!
    No specific social group needs special protection from offence. My position is not to cause offence as a starter.
  8. London
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:031 edit
    The joke did not diminish the good done by priests. The cover-up by the church did far more to undermine the credibility of priests
    I don't deny that. But the joke plays its own part, however miniscule.

Was it a joke about bishops who covered up the scandal? No.

It was a joke about priests. It stereotyped them as criminals.

EDIT: What was the difference between that joke and a joke that stereotypes a German as a Nazi?
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:24
    Originally posted by Halitose
    The problem with religious people is that they have no sense of humor. Is your faith so fragile that it cannot withstand a joke?

I find your whole religion to be offensive, but I don't ask the moderators to ban it.
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:29
    The problem with religious people is that they have no sense of humor. Is your faith so fragile that it cannot withstand a joke?

I find your whole religion to be offensive, but I don't ask the moderators to ban it.
    could a case be made that any higher power based religion is insulting to mankind. thereby making it offensive.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:301 edit
    The joke did not diminish the good done by priests. The cover-up by the church did far more to undermine the credibility of priests.

What does the 'yo mama' thread do for stereotyping? Who might that offend?
    Yo mama so fat, she thought that thread was about her.
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:32

Pah! There's nothing I enjoy more than a good laugh. With many things in life, there are places where one draws a line. Would you find jokes about how stupid your dad (if he's still around) is, funny? Just FYI, I didn't do any reporting.
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    Yo mama so fat she needed two that's
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    Originally posted by lucifershammer

It was a joke about priests. It stereotyped them as criminals.
    It was a joke about priests who molest children, who are criminals.
  15. Meddling with things
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:33
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Yo mama so fat, she thought that thread was about her.
    Good call

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree