1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 00:42
    Not needed? Not in the bible? Who said to do that? Jesus never said that? What a waist......

Will They Preach From Door to Door?

“POPE Sends Preachers Onto Streets of Rome.” That was the title of a news report by Greg Burke. He wrote: “Pope John Paul has urged Catholics in Italy to follow the example of sects like Jehovah’s Witnesses, who have been winning converts in the country, and start preaching door-​to-​door.

“‘It’s not time to be ashamed of the Gospel, it’s time to preach it from the rooftops,’ the Pope said on Monday to 350 itinerant preachers and religion teachers. . . .

“‘I hope that your project to proclaim the Gospel in the streets . . . brings abundant fruits,’ he told them. ‘You have rediscovered a style of preaching that reaches out even to those who have strayed from the faith.’”

Reporter Burke noted: “Catholic Church attendance has fallen sharply in Italy over the last two decades, and the Pope’s enthusiasm for door-​to-​door preachers appears to be at least partly a response to the waning of its influence.”

Such exhortation to “start preaching door-​to-​door” is not entirely new. A previous pope, Paul VI, said that the Catholic Church “exists in order to evangelize.” And the present pope, John Paul II, issued his encyclical Redemptoris Missio in 1991 to alert his church to the need to carry out the command of Jesus to preach publicly.

Roman Catholic writer Peter Hernon posed the question in the London Catholic Herald: “Whatever happened to evangelisation?” He was concerned about the much-​touted “decade of evangelisation” that is now several years old. When he asked a bishop about the lack of progress, the bishop responded: “You mustn’t be in a hurry. The Church has only been around for 2000 years.”

No wonder Hernon asked: “Where is the urgency conveyed by Jesus as He despatched His disciples to evangelise the surrounding villages? Or by St Paul: ‘Woe to me if I do not preach the Gospel! (1 Co 9:16).’” Indeed, will Catholics imitate early Christians who preached publicly “and from house to house”?​—Acts 5:42; 20:20, Douay Version.

Hernon acknowledged that when it comes to door-​to-​door evangelism, he “can hear the sceptics muttering ‘theoretical, impractical.’ Not so,” Hernon responds. “To justify that claim I need to use a naughty word. I know it is naughty because the last time I used it in a Catholic article the whole section was edited out (though nothing else was altered). The word is Jehovah’s Witness. . . . Each Witness is also taught that, by his very calling, he is necessarily a missionary.”

Though Hernon disagrees with the beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses, he concedes that when a person considers their methods of preaching, “it is hard not to be reminded of the early Church as depicted in the acts of the Apostles.”

Jehovah’s Witnesses continue their zealous door-​to-​door ministry, thus fulfilling in these modern times the command of Jesus Christ: “You will be witnesses of me . . . to the most distant part of the earth.”​—Acts 1:8.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 00:444 edits
    Matthew 28:19, 20

19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

Matthew 10:11-13
    11 “Into whatever city or village you enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until you leave 12 When you enter the house, greet the household. 13 If the house is deserving, let the peace you wish it come upon it; but if it is not deserving, let the peace from you return upon you.

Acts 5:42

42 And every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.

cts 20:20

20 while I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 00:49
    Interesting topic. Was "going door to door" mentioned during the Sermon on the Mount?
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 00:50

Removed by poster

5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 00:54
    @galveston75 said
    Matthew 28:19, 20

19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

Matthew 10:11-13
    11 “Into whatever city or vil ...[text shortened]... to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.
    I will never go door to door as a Catholic or a JW.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 00:58
    @galveston75 said
    Jehovah’s Witnesses continue their zealous door-​to-​door ministry, thus fulfilling in these modern times the command of Jesus Christ: “You will be witnesses of me . . . to the most distant part of the earth.”​—Acts 1:8.
    Where exactly in Acts 1:8 is there "the command of Jesus Christ" to "go door to door"?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 01:02
    Acts 1:18

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."

I have found there to be churches and congregations and Christians doing "good works" in all the uttermost parts of the Earth that I have been to. That'd be what Acts 1:8 is about, right? Where's the "command" to go "door to door"?
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 01:08
    @galveston75 said
    Not needed? Not in the bible? Who said to do that? Jesus never said that? What a waist......

Will They Preach From Door to Door?

“POPE Sends Preachers Onto Streets of Rome.” That was the title of a news report by Greg Burke. He wrote: “Pope John Paul has urged Catholics in Italy to follow the example of sects like Jehovah’s Witnesses, who have been winning converts ...[text shortened]... Jesus Christ: “You will be witnesses of me . . . to the most distant part of the earth.”​—Acts 1:8.

Witnesses of Jesus?

I thought you were a Jehovah's Witness!
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 01:131 edit
    OPs like this by Galveston75 are usually the prequel to a messy emotional gear-grinding which cumulates in a spasm of petulant posts about “shaking dust from his feet”. This is followed by a pouty exit from the forum for a period ranging between 3 and 12 months depending on the level of debunking/exposing on topics such as child sacrifice through denial of blood transfusions, corporate bullying of JW dissidents and/or child sex abuse scandals in the JW leadership.

#@beauroberts
    #royal-Australian-commission
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 02:25
    @divegeester said
    OPs like this by Galveston75 are usually the prequel to a messy emotional gear-grinding which cumulates in a spasm of petulant posts about “shaking dust from his feet”. This is followed by a pouty exit from the forum for a period ranging between 3 and 12 months depending on the level of debunking/exposing on topics such as child sacrifice through denial of blood transfusi ...[text shortened]... nd/or child sex abuse scandals in the JW leadership.

#@beauroberts
    #royal-Australian-commission
    I can Decide whether you're being garrulous, or is you post an example of logorrhea or prolixity.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 07:38
    @josephw said
    I can Decide whether you're being garrulous, or is you post an example of logorrhea or prolixity.
    Great words. Never heard them before but now I know their meanings and I like it...
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 10:29
    @galveston75 said
    Great words. Never heard them before but now I know their meanings and I like it...
    You know the meanings of words you’ve never heard of?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 10:30
    @josephw said
    Thanks for the update on your indecision.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 10:36
    @fmf said
    Where exactly in Acts 1:8 is there "the command of Jesus Christ" to "go door to door"?
    Really? In black and white written right in front of your face but yet you cannot see..............
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 10:38
    @josephw said

Witnesses of Jesus?

I thought you were a Jehovah's Witness!
    Why not pray to them and ask yourself for clarification?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree