1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 08:36
    It's pointless discussing the E word. Discuss.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 08:41
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    It's pointless discussing the E word. Discuss.
    Do you believe that 'Evil' exists?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 08:43
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Do you believe that 'Evil' exists?
    Not unless you can show me some Evil.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 08:46
    Not unless you can show me some Evil.
    Do you mean so that you can see it physically with your eyes?
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 08:52
    Do you mean so that you can see it physically with your eyes?
    Confront me with its tangibility.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 08:59
    Confront me with its tangibility.
    I would contend that Evil is not something that has an existence all it's own; rather, it is a corruption of that which already exists. Evil is the absence or privation of something good. Rot, for example, can exist only as long as a tree exists. Rust on a car and a decaying carcass illustrate the same point. Evil exists as a corruption of something good; it is a privation and does not have essence by itself.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 09:12
    I would contend that Evil is not something that has an existence all it's own; rather, it is a corruption of that which already exists. Evil is the absence or privation of something good. Rot, for example, can exist only as long as a tree exists. Rust on a car and a decaying carcass illustrate the same point. Evil exists as a corruption of something good; it is a privation and does not have essence by itself.
    Breadmould is evil?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 09:19
    As this discussion has been somewhat side-tracked, I would like to get it back on track with a few thoughts about evil:

I would contend that Evil is not something that has an existence all it's own; rather, it is a corruption of that which already exists. Evil is the absence or privation of something good. Rot, for example, can exist only as long as a tree exists. Rust on a car and a decaying carcass illustrate the same point. Evil exists as a corruption of something good; it is a privation and does not have essence by itself. “Evil is like a wound in an arm or moth-holes in a garment. It exists only in another but not in itself.” (Geisler)

Of course to say that evil is not a thing in itself is not the same as saying that evil is unreal. Evil may be an actual substance, but it involves an actual privation in good substances. Geisler notes, “It is not an actual entity but a real corruption of in an actual entity.” Rotting trees, rusting cars, tooth decay, brain cancer, etc are all examples of how evil is a corruption of something good.

It is one thing to understand what evil is. It is entirely another thing to understand how such evil can exist in a world created by God.

These are just a few thoughts to keep the discussion on track. 😉
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 09:201 edit
    Breadmould is evil?
    It is an example of how evil is a corruption of something good.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 09:22
    As this discussion has been somewhat side-tracked, I would like to get it back on track with a few thoughts about evil
    All the examples you give can be explained without reference to evil, so why insist on the existence of something that does not exist? And why are you not posting in the thread about Good? Is Evil really more your cup of tea?
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 09:23
    It is an example of how evil is a corruption of something good.
    I would have thought it had more to do with the action of bacteria. Are bacteria evil?
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 09:24
    All the examples you give can be explained without reference to evil, so why insist on the existence of something that does not exist? And why are you not posting in the thread about Good? Is Evil really more your cup of tea?
    Evil exists as a corruption of something good; it is a privation and does not have essence by itself. “Evil is like a wound in an arm or moth-holes in a garment. It exists only in another but not in itself.” (Geisler)

Of course to say that evil is not a thing in itself is not the same as saying that evil is unreal. Evil may be an actual substance, but it involves an actual privation in good substances. Geisler notes, “It is not an actual entity but a real corruption of in an actual entity.” Rotting trees, rusting cars, tooth decay, brain cancer, etc are all examples of how evil is a corruption of something good.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 09:27
    I would have thought it had more to do with the action of bacteria. Are bacteria evil?
    Ever heard of penicillin?
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 09:30
    Is Evil really more your cup of tea?

This is all in reference to "The Argument from Evil" , which someone tried to use to prove that God does not exist. I thought I should spend some time on it.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 09:321 edit
    Evil exists as a corruption of something good; it is a privation and does not have essence by itself. “Evil is like a wound in an arm or moth-holes in a garment. It exists only in another but not in itself.” (Geisler)

Of course to say that evil is not a thing in itself is not the same as saying that evil is unreal. Evil may be an actual substance, but i ...[text shortened]... , tooth decay, brain cancer, etc are all examples of how evil is a corruption of something good.
    I disagree with Geisler's silly definition. A wound in an arm is a wound in an arm; it can heal or become gangrenous; either way it's a natural phenomenon. Besides "decay" covers the entropic process already.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree