1. Upstate NY
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 00:46
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I'm sorry to say, but you're not being consistent. You raise more questions than the ones you try to answer and leave little place for reasoned discussion. Please try to stay on topic, not for the sake of some forum etiquette, but because we run the risk of writing for ourselves and not really listen to what the other has to say.

My point was exactly your ...[text shortened]... joying this reasoned discussion with you. I hope you don't take them the 'wrong' way.
    Thank you for the compliment. My apologies if I explained myself badly. I am merely trying to sharpen the focus of the discussion. I'm not sure how it is that I'm being inconsistent; perhaps you can let me know. If I seemed to be playing the (verbose) Devil's Advocate, it was just merely to show that ideas have consequences; namely that opinions unsupported by any objective reality cannot be sustained and lead to an unlivable state. By all means, let us discuss as long as we have the objective of finding the truth.

Debate about the moral law continues of course. As long as humans remain of differing opinions, there will be debate. My point is that objective truth remains so. While it is true that humans' perception of the truth can be faulty, the whole truth remains. And you have addressed that above; my thanks.

However I must take issue with the idea that all morals are relativistic, either on a theoretical or a practical level. Morals created by finite, relative human beings certainly are, but morals that proceed from an infinite, absolute, transcendant being are by definition absolute. At the same time, if those morals are not understood or purposely twisted, then once again they are a human construct and therefore relative.

You've probably figured out by this time that I am a follower of Christ, and thus it behooves me to present this perspective. The Bible presents itself as the breathed-out word of God. God, by definition, is an infinite absolute being from whose nature all goodness radiates. Thus all laws He has codified are good, not shackling; however they are absolute.

By the same token, Christianity has a very sad history. Politicized Christianity has been a terrible force for evil. However, Christ would never have endorsed the crusades or the inquisition. His commands were either disregarded or twisted. Thus these commandments/ethical standards, absolute in their original given state, were used as the basis for a man-made and pernicious mockery that perpetrated much wickedness. History is undeniable.

Once again, the Bible asserts itself as inerrant and absolute. Morals are clearly presented for our benefit. In addition the revealed word must not be added to or taken away from. By this time the reason for this should be obvious: to avoid a relativistic twisting of the absolute that exists (Of course the inerrancy of the Bible is a heated topic in and of itself and is probably beyond the scope of this thread. Feel free to PM me with any alleged contradictions you want to discuss).

You are very right in saying that it is our nature to look for absolute truth. You would also be entirely correct if you asserted that if the physical world is all that there is, then man is the measure of all things. But if there is a level beyond the natural, good and evil as realities can be discussed. This is why I wanted to bring us to the topic of universal origin. Again, sharpening the focus and trying to bring the disparate topics together under a single heading which I have every reason to believe is valid. The important thing is that we take our eyes off of ourselves and try to focus on what transcends us. That way the relativistic crust can be peeled away and the real truth revealed. The yardstick is there; let us strive to measure ourselves by it and not a copy of it.

I realise of course that my perspective is not universal. My purpose is not to win an argument so I can put a victory feather in my cap as it were. I simply present the counterperspective, which God's word mandates that I do when I am asked for reasons for what I believe.

Once again, my dear friend, I appreciate the courtesy more than I can say. Insults are counterproductive and you have maintained civility throughout.

Regards,
    R
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 03:03
    God=good

Devil=evil

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree