1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 13:03
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    It's pushing me toward scepticism lol

And I don't wanna be an atheist, but I will become one before I accept the OT as God's word.
    Don't want to become an atheist? Why not?
  2. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 13:22
    Originally posted by Nemesio

The latter is much trickier and we are prone to be distracted -- like a Pope who fathers a child
    but advocates that priests ought to be celibate. Because the latter is intangible (or less tangible),
    Nemesio,

I'm not sure what you're getting at exactly. Are you saying that the morals of a priest matter because his "truth" is primarily about morals? Or are you just saying that hypocrite's motives need to be examined, but scientist's dont?

-Le roi
  3. Joined
    23 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 13:44
    Originally posted by poopsiecui
    You guys do not get it, so let me spell it out for you. Scientific discovery and experiment is not proven wrong because of the actions of its proponents. Neither is history, philosophy, or religion. Crusades, inquisitions and bad choices by the Pope neither add nor detract from the truth-claims of Christianity. Kingdanwa pulled the same trick on you idiots that he did in the Abe Lincoln thread, proving his point by saying exactly the opposite.
    THIS WAS MY ORIGINAL POST THANK YOU
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 13:46
    Originally posted by kingdanwa
    So, are you disagreeing with Nemesio? What if a scientist DID kill in the name of science?
    There is no science that would justify his act, unlike the OT which routinely justifies killing for religion.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 13:49
    Originally posted by Eingaben
    THIS WAS MY ORIGINAL POST THANK YOU
    And....so what?
  6. Joined
    23 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 13:58
    It was just nice to see it come around...eventually
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 14:00
    Originally posted by Eingaben
    It was just nice to see it come around...eventually
    After the Lincoln affair, Kingdanwa's ploy was obvious. I'm just not sure what he thinks he's achieved.
  8. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 14:02
    There is no science that would justify his act, unlike the OT which routinely justifies killing for religion.
    Why do you keep bringing up god?

Who determines what is justified for scientists to do? What if my "science" was to figure out the slowest way to kill someone, biologically speaking. That's science. And you'd say that it's okay, since it's not as bad as the hebrew's god.
  9. Joined
    23 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 14:02
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    After the Lincoln affair, Kingdanwa's ploy was obvious. I'm just not sure what he thinks he's achieved.
    Maybe this one will lead in new directions... Who knows?
  10. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 14:03
    I'm calling for standards. Let's approach facts in the same way. EITHER we CAN consider a person's morals, OR we CAN'T. Which is is is Boss Man?
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 14:10
    I'm calling for standards. Let's approach facts in the same way. EITHER we CAN consider a person's morals, OR we CAN'T. Which is is is Bosman?
    Good Lord, I thought I'd already answered you! Did you read what I posted earlier? Please give it a quick glance, I wrote it just for you.

In the meantime, we can consider someone's morals if we're interested in their morals. If we're interested in something that has nothing to do with morals, we can't. In this case, we are either interested in a) Einstein's morals (a fascinating subject, to be sure) or b) in his equation. If we are talking about b) his entire existence is completely irrelevant. We can even pretend the theory was devised by the Pope, for all the difference it would make.
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 14:19
    Why do you keep bringing up god?

Who determines what is justified for scientists to do? What if my "science" was to figure out the slowest way to kill someone, biologically speaking. That's science. And you'd say that it's okay, since it's not as bad as the hebrew's god.
    No I would simply say science doesnt justify your act.

The OT routinely justifies killing for religion. Religion , unlike science, assigns moral values to acts.

notice I didn't mention god here.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 14:25

What if my "science" was to figure out the slowest way to kill someone, biologically speaking.
    You'd first devise a theory. That would be ok. If you started looking for people to experiment on, though, you'd run foul of the Law. And that would be ok too, you sick bastard (I'm addressing your fictional evil scientist self here).

Do you believe that the earth is flat? Yes or no.
  14. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 15:33
    No I would simply say science doesnt justify your act.

The OT routinely justifies killing for religion. Religion , unlike science, assigns moral values to acts.

notice I didn't mention god here.
    Who cares about the old testament or the qu'ran or any "religious" text? I'm talking about secular truths here.
  15. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 15:341 edit

Do you believe that the earth is flat? Yes or no.
    Is that a testable truth? Who would do the testing? And how moral of a person is he?

Oh yeah, and what are his motives?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree