1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '11 21:05
    While Dasa seems to be unmercifully vilified for his antics, seems like there are fundamentalist Christians who engage in similar and/or equally (and at times more) reprehensible behaviors, but are given a relatively free pass. From what I've seen, there is little to choose between them other than Dasa does not seem to engage in any form of ego appeasement / stroking. This brings us to the larger issue of how ego appeasement / stroking so strongly affects acceptance in society. Should it? Why?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '11 21:24
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    While Dasa seems to be unmercifully vilified for his antics, seems like there are fundamentalist Christians who engage in similar and/or equally (and at times more) reprehensible behaviors, but are given a relatively free pass. From what I've seen, there is little to choose between them other than Dasa does not seem to engage in any form of ego appeasemen ...[text shortened]... ue of how ego appeasement / stroking so strongly affects acceptance in society. Should it? Why?
    because we are awesome and you are not.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '11 21:52
    While Dasa seems to be unmercifully vilified for his antics, seems like there are fundamentalist Christians who engage in similar and/or equally (and at times more) reprehensible behaviors, but are given a relatively free pass. From what I've seen, there is little to choose between them other than Dasa does not seem to engage in any form of ego appeasemen ...[text shortened]... ue of how ego appeasement / stroking so strongly affects acceptance in society. Should it? Why?
    Yes, it should, I think. Detecting when a person's motives are ego appeasement / stroking is essential to avoiding being used. And Dasa is caught up in ego. He's human. Follow a thread he initiates as a "teacher" and you will soon see a defense of self. Granted, it is in response to attacks, and is human, but an ego-free teacher would not accuse his respondents of manipulation, word-twisting, and purposeful dishonesty. He is trying to be a teacher. He just needs more personal growth. He is getting that message, rather harshly. I wonder if he has a person of Vedantic wisdom he can show his postings, to see why they aren't working. Or perhaps, they are working for some sort of self-vindication purposes and that needs to be pointed out to him by someone he respects. It isn't going to be any of us.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Mar '11 22:20
    Dasa's not a WASP. He's just outnumbered, that's all.
  5. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 10:13
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Dasa's not a WASP. He's just outnumbered, that's all.
    I disagree.I am a Hindu theist and I have posted a lot about Hindu Religion and Philosophy but I was not attacked communally or racially. Dasa's use of rough language and his stubbornness in not trying to understand the other person's point of view cause many others to slam him,unmercifully.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 11:37
    Free pass?

Dasa strokes his own ego.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 11:47
    How many threads have you started on themes like this? Can't you just start an interesting, non-polemical discussion?
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 18:151 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Yes, it should, I think. Detecting when a person's motives are ego appeasement / stroking is essential to avoiding being used. And Dasa is caught up in ego. He's human. Follow a thread he initiates as a "teacher" and you will soon see a defense of self. Granted, it is in response to attacks, and is human, but an ego-free teacher would not accuse his respondent hat needs to be pointed out to him by someone he respects. It isn't going to be any of us.
    Maybe I could have worded it better, but the question I was trying to ask was whether those who engage in ego appeasement / stroking should be more readily accepted in society (as seems the case much more often than not) than those who don't. The example I gave ,which was the impetus for this thread, was how Dasa does not seem engage in ego appeasement / stroking and has been subsequently unmercilessly vilified for his antics, while there are fundamentalist Christians who routinely do engage in ego appeasement / stroking while engaging in similar and/or equally (and at times more) reprehensible behaviors, but are given a relatively free pass. While there is a risk of backlash if one engages in ego appeasement / stroking and it is detected, I'm thinking the reason it is so prevalent in society is that the vast majority of the time it goes undetected, so the risk is negligible.

I wasn't trying to assert that Dasa is ego-free. Rather, he does not seem to engage in the appeasing /stroking of egos of others while trying to deliver his message.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 18:171 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Free pass?

Dasa strokes his own ego.
    Yes, they are given a relatively free pass.

Whether or not Dasa strokes his own ego is irrelevant to this topic. Or were you just looking to take a gratuitous shot at Dasa?
  10. Playing with matches
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 18:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    because we are awesome and you are not.
    Oh, excellent post.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 18:413 edits
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    How many threads have you started on themes like this? Can't you just start an interesting, non-polemical discussion?
    So far as I recall, this is the first thead I've started on ego appeasement / stroking and the acceptance in society of those who engage in it vs. those who don't.

If you don't find a topic interesting, there's no reason for you to post, yet somehow you felt compelled to make a disparaging comment (any disparaging comment it seems) as nonsensical as it is. Why do you think that is? I've given you this advice before and I'll give it again, "You're all ego, kid. Hopefully someday you'll come to realize it. Best of luck to you."
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 18:56
    Maybe I could have worded it better, but the question I was trying to ask was whether those who engage in ego appeasement / stroking should be more readily accepted in society (as seems the case much more often than not) than those who don't. The example I gave ,which was the impetus for this thread, was how Dasa does not seem engage in ego appeasement / ...[text shortened]... m to engage in the appeasing /stroking of egos of others while trying to deliver his message.
    I misinterpreted it to mean that a person who approaches us with some offer or something might have only his own ego appeasement / stroking in mind. Sorry. Now, I'd say that we should be careful not to let someone's stroking, or not, of our ego to drive our acceptance/rejection of an idea, but sensing that our ego is being ignored, or worse, can alert us to the potential presence of an abuser. Also, we can rightfully ask if the behavior of the person toward us is representative of people who have accepted the idea he is pitching, and ask whether we want to become that kind of person.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 22:26
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Cant you?
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 22:31
    Yes, they are given a relatively free pass.

Whether or not Dasa strokes his own ego is irrelevant to this topic. Or were you just looking to take a gratuitous shot at Dasa?
    "Or were you just looking to take a gratuitous shot at Dasa?"

Absolutely! You obviously feel sorry for poor old Dasa.

So you think Christians get a free pass in this forum? Apparently you haven't even read your own posts.

"This brings us to the larger issue of how ego appeasement / stroking so strongly affects acceptance in society. Should it? Why?"

Not my society. I don't associate with hypocrites. Society is corrupted by the strokers.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 23:02
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I disagree.I am a Hindu theist and I have posted a lot about Hindu Religion and Philosophy but I was not attacked communally or racially. Dasa's use of rough language and his stubbornness in not trying to understand the other person's point of view cause many others to slam him,unmercifully.
    I don't remember you at all. Can you show me some of your posts or threads?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree