1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 23:251 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    So far as I recall, this is the first thead I've started on ego appeasement / stroking and the acceptance in society of those who engage in it vs. those who don't.

If you don't find a topic interesting, there's no reason for you to post, yet somehow you felt compelled to make a disparaging comment (any disparaging comment it seems) as nonsensical as i ou're all ego, kid. Hopefully someday you'll come to realize it. Best of luck to you."
    It is certainly not the first time you have started a thread to whinge about Christians on this forum. Obviously I am free to choose not to involve myself in those threads and mostly I do. I am just pointing out here that you are, once again, not interested in anything of intellectual character; you simply want to discuss people. I do not believe that it is strictly in the spirit of this forum.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 23:26
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Cant you?
    I can. When an interesting issue grabs me, I will start a thread on it and I hope you can contribute.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 23:28
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I can. When an interesting issue grabs me, I will start a thread on it and I hope you can contribute.
    I'll try, but not to stroke your ego 🙂
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Mar '11 23:59
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I disagree.I am a Hindu theist and I have posted a lot about Hindu Religion and Philosophy but I was not attacked communally or racially. Dasa's use of rough language and his stubbornness in not trying to understand the other person's point of view cause many others to slam him,unmercifully.
    There are very smart, rational Christians like Conrau out there. I don't mean to say Dasa's religious tradition is wrong; however he is a fundamentalist idiot of a less common type around here and so gets more abuse than the fundamentalist idiot Christians because there are more of them.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 00:20
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    There are very smart, rational Christians like Conrau out there. I don't mean to say Dasa's religious tradition is wrong; however he is a fundamentalist idiot of a less common type around here and so gets more abuse than the fundamentalist idiot Christians because there are more of them.
    Not only that, a religon is only as good as its adherents.

To claim christianity is better than hinduism is ridiculous. And vice versa.

The people are what's important. Every single one of them, and if they should find themselves siding woth one religon as opposed to another, I hope they still remember that they worship the same God as everyone else.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 00:312 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    I misinterpreted it to mean that a person who approaches us with some offer or something might have only his own ego appeasement / stroking in mind. Sorry. Now, I'd say that we should be careful not to let someone's stroking, or not, of our ego to drive our acceptance/rejection of an idea, but sensing that our ego is being ignored, or worse, can alert us to t ...[text shortened]... have accepted the idea he is pitching, and ask whether we want to become that kind of person.
    Now, I'd say that we should be careful not to let someone's stroking, or not, of our ego to drive our acceptance/rejection of an idea..

Rather than the acceptance/rejection of "ideas", I was looking to discuss the acceptance/rejection of those who engage in ego appeasement / stroking vs. those who don't (assuming everything else is more or less equal).

...but sensing that our ego is being ignored, or worse, can alert us to the potential presence of an abuser.

Why should the sense that "our ego is being ignored...alert us to the potential presence of an abuser"?

Also, we can rightfully ask if the behavior of the person toward us is representative of people who have accepted the idea he is pitching, and ask whether we want to become that kind of person.

Can you elaborate on this?
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 01:121 edit
    It is certainly not the first time you have started a thread to whinge about Christians on this forum. Obviously I am free to choose not to involve myself in those threads and mostly I do. I am just pointing out here that you are, once again, not interested in anything of intellectual character; you simply want to discuss people. I do not believe that it is strictly in the spirit of this forum.
    You're really trying too hard to find something disparaging to say. You certainly seem to like to deal in half-truths as evidenced by this post as well as more than a few you've made in the past.

I'd ask you to review our discussion thus far, but IIRC you seem to take it personally if I do. With that in mind, I'll lay it out for you.

CK: "How many threads have you started on themes like this?"

ToO: "So far as I recall, this is the first thead I've started on ego appeasement / stroking and the acceptance in society of those who engage in it vs. those who don't."

So the "theme" of the thread is "ego appeasement / stroking and the acceptance in society of those who engage in it vs. those who don't." You seem to be having difficulty wrapping your mind around this fact.

Not sure of your intended meaning of "intellectual character", but it seems like the theme of this thread as well that of the previous thread I started ("Blood can appease God?" ) can invite intelligent discussion.

Nothing's stopping you from engaging in a discussion relating to the topic of this thread, but it seems you have a very different agenda. Thus far your only contributions to this thread have been attempts to disparage (via half-truths no less). Do you consider your contributions thus far "strictly in the spirit of this forum"?

Once again, ""You're all ego, kid. Hopefully someday you'll come to realize it. Best of luck to you."
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 01:21
    You're really trying too hard to find something disparaging to say. You certainly seem to like to deal in half-truths as evidenced by this post as well as more than a few you've made in the past.

I'd ask you to review our discussion thus far, but IIRC you seem to take it personally if I do. With that in mind, I'll lay it out for you.

CK: "How many t ...[text shortened]... d. Hopefully someday you'll come to realize it. Best of luck to you."
    I have defined what I meant by theme. I think it is perfectly clear what my claim is, that you are once again beginning a thread to belittle Christians on this forum. Perhaps you intend another purpose of this thread, I really don't care. The main thrust of the original post was purely polemical and it is not the first time you have done this. Now I did not say that you exclusively make threads like this and I grant that you do on occasions make threads not in this vain -- although your thread about blood appeasement is not exactly what I meant by non-polemical since you were in many ways quite insulting.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 03:25
    While Dasa seems to be unmercifully vilified for his antics, seems like there are fundamentalist Christians who engage in similar and/or equally (and at times more) reprehensible behaviors, but are given a relatively free pass. From what I've seen, there is little to choose between them other than Dasa does not seem to engage in any form of ego appeasemen ...[text shortened]... ue of how ego appeasement / stroking so strongly affects acceptance in society. Should it? Why?
    ****Christian bigot alert*********

This is not a drill.

*****Christian bigot alert********
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 03:271 edit
    Not only that, I hear the Hitler was a Christian as well.

EEKKS!! He's got me doing it now!! 😲
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 05:39
    [b]Now, I'd say that we should be careful not to let someone's stroking, or not, of our ego to drive our acceptance/rejection of an idea..

Rather than the acceptance/rejection of "ideas", I was looking to discuss the acceptance/rejection of those who engage in ego appeasement / stroking vs. those who don't (assuming everything else is more or less ...[text shortened]... and ask whether we want to become that kind of person.[/b]

Can you elaborate on this?[/b]
    I said this: ...but sensing that our ego is being ignored, or worse, can alert us to the potential presence of an abuser.

And you said this: Why should the sense that "our ego is being ignored...alert us to the potential presence of an abuser"?

It would for me and I hope for others. My complete statement included "or worse".
  12. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 09:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I don't remember you at all. Can you show me some of your posts or threads?
    Many posts are there. Pl.see Science Forum and thread started by me on existence of mind and soul as well as Science being a collection of successful recipes etc. and several ongoing threads in Spirituality Forum.
  13. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 17:30
    While Dasa seems to be unmercifully vilified for his antics, seems like there are fundamentalist Christians who engage in similar and/or equally (and at times more) reprehensible behaviors, but are given a relatively free pass. From what I've seen, there is little to choose between them other than Dasa does not seem to engage in any form of ego appeasemen ...[text shortened]... ue of how ego appeasement / stroking so strongly affects acceptance in society. Should it? Why?
    It's evolutionary, dude. It's picking fleas out of your gang-mate's fur so you both feel like a member of the tribe.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 01:51
    I have defined what I meant by theme. I think it is perfectly clear what my claim is, that you are once again beginning a thread to belittle Christians on this forum. Perhaps you intend another purpose of this thread, I really don't care. The main thrust of the original post was purely polemical and it is not the first time you have done this. Now I did not ...[text shortened]... ement is not exactly what I meant by non-polemical since you were in many ways quite insulting.
    Looks like CK is bent on continuing his personal attack.

He seems unable to wrap his mind around the fact that the theme of this thread is "ego appeasement / stroking and the acceptance in society of those who engage in it vs. those who don't" and has been since the OP.

Based on his posts on this and prior threads, it seems he is extremely sensitive to criticism or perceived criticism of Christianity and/or Christians (and particularly the RCC) and to such an extent that it seems to impair his ability to think rationally. As such CK is likely to continue with his personal attack.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 02:00
    Originally posted by JS357
    I said this: ...but sensing that our ego is being ignored, or worse, can alert us to the potential presence of an abuser.

And you said this: Why should the sense that "our ego is being ignored...alert us to the potential presence of an abuser"?

It would for me and I hope for others. My complete statement included "or worse".
    I know your orginal statement included "or worse". Based on your previous posts, I took that to mean ego appeasement / stroking. What I don't understand is why the sense that ones ego is being "ignored" should also trigger an alert.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree