1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 01:30
    Originally posted by @js357
    How can this thread do without citation of the lyrics that inspire it?
    I assumed it was inspired by this:

YouTube : Is That All There Is?
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 04:01
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I assumed it was inspired by this:

[youtube Is That All There Is?]PpX0BMBGPxM[/youtube]
    fmf is solid. Not sure I should click on a link.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 04:39
    Originally posted by @apathist
    fmf is solid. Not sure I should click on a link.
    Purists might argue that what is found at that link is an atrocity.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 14:59
    Originally posted by @sonship
    [quote] In John 5:28-28 [sic] Jesus makes it clear that only "those who committed the evil deeds" come forth "to a resurrection of judgment".

Therefore "those who did the good deeds" (who come forth "to a resurrection of life" ) do "not come into judgement".

This is consistent with what He said in John 5:24-25. This is what is of importance. [/quote ...[text shortened]...

Some versions say [b]"good things"
    Many simply say "Done good ... done evil" [/b]
    NASB
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 15:10
    Originally posted by @leunammi
    Bump ToO.

Which judgement do think this speaks of? Great white throne?
    You seem to have missed the point.

According to the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry (John 5:24-25, 28-29), , the dividing line for eternal life is quite simple:
    1) Those who did good are resurrected into eternal life.
    2) Those who did evil are not resurrected into eternal life. Instead they are resurrected into judgement.

This passage is about who does and who does not have eternal life.

This is what is of importance.

Your question misses the point of this passage.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 15:233 edits
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    And the battle between the church doctrine znd the bible continues.

You would have thought it would be the same.... no chance of that
    John 5:24-25, 28-29 is consistent with John 17:3 which was highlighted in the OP,

Consider Matthew 7:21-23:
    21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Jesus clearly states that He does not "KNOW" evildoers, so it makes perfect sense that they do not have eternal life. Only those who cease to do evil, i.e., those who "do good", have eternal life.

No doubt this will continue to fall on deaf ears amongst those who do believe in a gospel other than the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 17:06
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    John 5:24-25, 28-29 is consistent with John 17:3 which was highlighted in the OP,

Consider Matthew 7:21-23:
    21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name ...[text shortened]... st those who do believe in a gospel other than the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.
    Of course, God knows who live righteously, he is with them and hears their prayers.
    But His head is turned against those who continue to live in sin.
    God is no respector of persons.
    Christians who think they are in some kind of favourable position are deluding themselves
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 17:14
    Of course, God knows who live righteously, he is with them and hears their prayers.
    But His head is turned against those who continue to live in sin.
    God is no respector of persons.
    Christians who think they are in some kind of favourable position are deluding themselves
    Agreed 100%.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 18:38
    Agreed 100%.
    It would be good to hear that you believe that only the righteous, i.e., those who cease to commit sin, will have eternal life and that God does not "know" those who continue to sin.

But I suspect that that isn't the case. Do you actually believe the above?
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 18:54
    'As long as we are on this earth we will never be completely perfect, and sin will always be a problem to us. Only in heaven will we be free of its influence forever, for only then will we be like Christ. The Bible says, “When he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is” (1 John 3:2).

I often compare sin to a chronic illness—for that is what it is: a spiritual illness residing in our souls. A chronic illness may go into remission or not bother us as much as it once did—but it is still there, lurking in our bodies and waiting for an opportunity to overcome us. The same is true of sin. The Apostle Paul’s experience is the same as ours: “Not that I … have already been made perfect” (Philippians 3:12).

Only one person was completely sinless, and that was Jesus Christ. He was born without sin, and—in spite of Satan’s fiercest efforts—He never sinned. That is why He could be our Saviour and take upon Himself all our sins. If we had to depend on our own righteousness, we could never be saved, for sin still clings to us. But Christ took all our sins upon Himself, and His righteousness was given to us.

I have always tried to follow the advice I heard a preacher say many years ago: Keep short accounts with God. When you know you have sinned, confess it to God immediately and seek His forgiveness. Then ask Him to help you avoid that sin in the future, and to live a life that more and more honors Christ.'

https://billygraham.org.uk/answer/is-it-possible-to-stop-sinning-completely/
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 13:54
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    It would be good to hear that you believe that only the righteous, i.e., those who cease to commit sin, will have eternal life and that God does not "know" those who continue to sin.

But I suspect that that isn't the case. Do you actually believe the above?
    Some of you people focus too much on other people's sin and whether one is going to heaven or eternal life. A little less poking out other's eyes with a stick and a little more in dealing with your own log might be a thing for you to think about. God is soooo much more.

God knows who lives righteously and hears their prayers.

I think the bible shows this plainly. Do you think that someone who does not live righteously but calls out to God in their hour of desperation will be forsaken?

His head is turned against those who continue to live in sin. The bible states as much;

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

God is no respector of persons

Romans 2:9-11 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

I think that can be said of anyone!

As far as making some specific statement to suit motives, to somehow 'prove' to you something about what I think, I think not. Not interested.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 14:352 edits
    Some of you people focus too much on other people's sin and whether one is going to heaven or eternal life. A little less poking out other's eyes with a stick and a little more in dealing with your own log might be a thing for you to think about. God is soooo much more.

God knows who lives righteously and hears their prayers.

I think the b ...[text shortened]... t motives, to somehow 'prove' to you something about what I think, I think not. Not interested.

Some of you people focus on your own righterousness and that you are eternally saved.
    A little more honesty about what Jesus and the Apostles preached might be a thing for you to think about

God knows who lives righteously and hears their prayers.I think the bible shows this plainly. Do you think that someone who does not live righteously but calls out to God in their hour of desperation will be forsaken?

Maybe, maybe not.. God knows

His head is turned against those who continue to live in sin. The bible states as much; .. ]God is no respector of persons .. Christians who think they are in some kind of favourable position are deluding themselves, I think that can be said of anyone

The Christians are the ones who proclaim that they cannot lose their salvation therefore making God a respector of persons... got it?

If your doctrine was balanced and presented the view of Jesus and the Apostles there would be no argument. The fact is that your doctrine is biased, and you do not speak the true doctrine, hence the need to correct you.
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 15:27

[b] Some of you people focus on your own righterousness and that you are ete ...[text shortened]... r doctrine is biased, and you do not speak the true doctrine, hence the need to correct you.
    [/b]
    The Christians are the ones who proclaim that they cannot lose their salvation therefore making God a respector of persons... got it?

What does this statement of yours have to do with me, I have not made any claims about being saved, who is saved, who will be saved; that would be you. Anyhow, are you a christian? Do you follow the commands of Jesus? Why do you always talk about Christians as if they were somebody else if you in fact call yourself a christian?

If your doctrine was balanced and presented the view of Jesus and the Apostles there would be no argument. The fact is that your doctrine is biased, and you do not speak the true doctrine, hence the need to correct you

Biased by whose standard, yours? True doctrine by whose interpretation, yours? I believe what the bible says and I will allow God through his spirit to teach.

John 16:8-15 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

8 And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 11 and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. 12 “I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

Anyhow, are you a christian? Do you follow the commands of Jesus? Why do you always talk about Christians as if they were somebody else if you in fact call yourself a christian?

The reason I asked, is I have not seen a straight answer from you on this. Can you answer? Don't bother with the it's too personal response, because that is no response.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 16:16

What does this statement of yours have to do with me, I have not made any claims about being saved, who is saved, who will be saved; that would be you. Anyhow, are you a christian? Do you follow the comma ...[text shortened]... Can you answer? Don't bother with the it's too personal response, because that is no response.
    Actually you silently and rather deceptively support those who do. Anyhow I will anser your questions which Im sure I answered already:

Yes I am a Christian. I separate myself from church Christians. I consider myself a follower of Christ. I dont answer questions on what I do or do not do, neither do I ask those questions of people.

Based on the doctrine of Christ your doctrine is flawed. You do not believe what Jesus said eg Jesus never preach that he is God.. thats a good one to start with. There is no eternal security of salvation except for those who are the sheep of Christ.

The Holy Spirit is supposed to remind you of what Jesus said. Does it do that?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 16:411 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    'As long as we are on this earth we will never be completely perfect, and sin will always be a problem to us. Only in heaven will we be free of its influence forever, for only then will we be like Christ. The Bible says, “When he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is” (1 John 3:2).

I often compare sin to a chronic illness—f ...[text shortened]... onors Christ.'

https://billygraham.org.uk/answer/is-it-possible-to-stop-sinning-completely/
    I have always tried to follow the advice I heard a preacher say many years ago: Keep short accounts with God. When you know you have sinned, confess it to God immediately and seek His forgiveness. Then ask Him to help you avoid that sin in the future, and to live a life that more and more honors Christ.'

Very good advice.

Keep short accounts.
    Believe in the cleansing of His blood.

Power to live will come.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree