Eternity

Eternity

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Apr 12

Originally posted by vistesd
None but ourselves can free our minds.

—Bob Marley
Free from what?
Kelly

Moves
13 Apr 12

i would say time exists only as long as there is matter. when we think of time in the context of space and eternity we should be using the word matter instead. what we dont know is where matter comes from, where its going, how many dimensions it operates in and how these dimensions interact with each other. until then id say we have no idea if there is 'eternity' in any form.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Apr 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
i would say time exists only as long as there is matter. when we think of time in the context of space and eternity we should be using the word matter instead. what we dont know is where matter comes from, where its going, how many dimensions it operates in and how these dimensions interact with each other. until then id say we have no idea if there is 'eternity' in any form.
You can only wrap you mind around time as long as there is matter, that does not
mean time cannot be real without matter.
Kelly

Moves
13 Apr 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
You can only wrap you mind around time as long as there is matter, that does not
Kelly
time is a word we have constructed to describe an event. if there is nothing left for there to be an event then there is no time. i believe nothing exists with out matter, i guess this is where religion comes into the picture for some people.

Moves
13 Apr 12

Kelly
I'm not sure, but I think it does mean that, at least I believe it has been demonstrated that time is a function of the interaction between the "fabric" of space and mass - usually a lot of mass.

The further a clock is from a planet for example, the slower time travels for the clock. Similar to travelling fast ... I think.

If eternity is the absence of time, does it require the absence of mass?

Moves
13 Apr 12

Kelly
I would replace "matter" with "substance" with a similar intention as stellspalfie might have. Can there be a universe where there is nothing other than the passage of time? Does it make any sense? If not, then whatever is there besides the passage of time, is the substance or are the substances of that universe. It seems to me that something has to be there to be involved in events, which are spread out over time to keep them from, as Bergson said, happening all at once. 🙂

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/substance/

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
13 Apr 12

Kelly
Time dilation shows that the duration of time may vary for various events and various reference frames. The rate we monitor as regards the time that passes for an observer depends on the observer’s velocity (according to our cognizant apparatus) and on the strength of the gravitational fields. So time, space and gravitation have no separate existence from matter; therefore time cannot exist separated from matter😵

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Apr 12

Free from what?
Kelly
Are you kidding?

You dont see it?

I hesitate to answer any further

You ever heard of the term "mortal coil"?

Man , it was refreshing to have a Bob Marley quote

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Apr 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
time is a word we have constructed to describe an event. if there is nothing left for there to be an event then there is no time. i believe nothing exists with out matter, i guess this is where religion comes into the picture for some people.
So you say.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Apr 12

Originally posted by JS357
I would replace "matter" with "substance" with a similar intention as stellspalfie might have. Can there be a universe where there is nothing other than the passage of time? Does it make any sense? If not, then whatever is there besides the passage of time, is the substance or are the substances of that universe. It seems to me that something has to be there t ...[text shortened]... , as Bergson said, happening all at once. 🙂

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/substance/
You are marking time by substance again as if time requires it, we may require it
but does time?
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Apr 12

Originally posted by black beetle
Time dilation shows that the duration of time may vary for various events and various reference frames. The rate we monitor as regards the time that passes for an observer depends on the observer’s velocity (according to our cognizant apparatus) and on the strength of the gravitational fields. So time, space and gravitation have no separate existence from matter; therefore time cannot exist separated from matter😵
I'd say our grasp of it cannot, that still does not mean that time cannot.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Apr 12

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Are you kidding?

You dont see it?

I hesitate to answer any further

You ever heard of the term "mortal coil"?

Man , it was refreshing to have a Bob Marley quote
Free from the mortal coil, as in you/he look forward to death?
Kelly

Moves
13 Apr 12

You are marking time by substance again as if time requires it, we may require it
but does time?
Kelly
Again?

Substance isn't matter, philosophically speaking. Think of substance as that which has properties. For example, substance dualism can envision mind and matter as substances.

"Substance dualism is a type of dualism most famously defended by Descartes, which states that there are two fundamental kinds of substance: mental and material.[6] According to his philosophy, which is specifically called Cartesian dualism, the mental does not have extension in space, and the material cannot think. Substance dualism is important historically for having given rise to much thought regarding the famous mind–body problem. Substance dualism is a philosophical position compatible with most theologies which claim that immortal souls occupy an independent "realm" of existence distinct from that of the physical world."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism_%28philosophy_of_mind%29#Substance_dualism

I think it would be compatible with the idea that we are soul and body.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Apr 12

Free from the mortal coil, as in you/he look forward to death?
Kelly
how can you be looking forward to death if you are free from the mortal coil?

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
14 Apr 12
1 edit

but does time?
Kelly
it's an abstract concept. time is only meaningful if there are conscious entities measuring the rate of positional change between two or more particles.

the only thing time really requires is movement.