1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 01:55
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    You seem to have missed the author's point which is that many of the views held by many Evangelicals are contrary to the gospel preached by Jesus. Whatever rationalizations they may make up for themselves do not change this fact.
    You mean the gospel where many people are not forgiven and only a few are forgiven?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 01:571 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    You mean the gospel where many people are not forgiven and only a few are forgiven?
    Why are you asking this question of me?

What does it have to do with the topic of this thread?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 03:01
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    It's actually a very easy explanation... You can learn it easily by spending a few hours familiarizing yourself with the ideas of 'Christian reconstructionalism' or 'dominionism.'

It's amazing to think that people will spend years complaining about superconservative Evangelicals but they won't take like 2-3 hours to read some of the essays by Gar ...[text shortened]... he one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.""

I'd love to see liberals unpack this for us.
    Yup.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 03:50
    Regardless of how well you think you explained it, it does not address the author's point which is that many of the views held by many Evangelicals are contrary to the gospel preached by Jesus.

Is it as the author summarized?:
    [quote]Of course, conservative Americans have every right to support corporate greed, militarism, gun possession, and the dea ...[text shortened]... itutions" they are justified in holding views that are contrary to the gospel preached by Jesus?
    But that's the thing. Even the quote you provided is incredibly loaded -- did Jesus preach for gun control, universal health care, and said that we needed to take a stand against corporate greed? Of course not! That is the interpretation of people on the Left.

I will not comment on the accuracy of the claim. Instead, I'll say that such a claim is valid and can be theologically justified. Having such views is not against Christian views.

Likewise, believing that it is Christian to eschew earthly authority and prefer a radically Libertarian government while being a Christian can be completely in line with Christian theology as well.

Do you see what I mean?

How are they rejecting he gospel by rejecting the corporate welfare state?

That is just as baseless of an accusation as saying that liberals reject the gospel because they embrace the welfare state.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 04:28
    Why are you asking this question of me?

What does it have to do with the topic of this thread?
    The belief that Jesus is all about being accepting and forgiving.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 10:16
    Likewise, believing that it is Christian to eschew earthly authority and prefer a radically Libertarian government while being a Christian can be completely in line with Christian theology as well.
    Now, is that a real, true Libertarian government (AKA anarchy), or is that a Sears Libertarian government (AKA American Libertarian Party)?

Christianity has (or should have) nothing to do with either one.
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 11:17
    I cannot really say what is or what isn't Libertarianism as a non-Libertarian.

But, regardless of what we think, if something is intellecutally consistent with the Gospels and not explicitly prohibited with the Gospels, what business do we have saying that it is not Christian?
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 13:59

But, regardless of what we think, if something is intellecutally consistent with the Gospels and not explicitly prohibited with the Gospels, what business do we have saying that it is not Christian?
    The problem with (or OF) Libertarianism is that it has to be enforced, which replaces it with Totalitarianism.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 20:06
    Originally posted by @js357
    The problem with (or OF) Libertarianism is that it has to be enforced, which replaces it with Totalitarianism.
    In the US libertarians are people who don't want to pay taxes but do want to do drugs.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 21:09
    Originally posted by @js357
    Well, that's quite the audacious claim. Not really a "spiritual" topic, though.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 21:21

Because lying is not Christian.

"Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?" -- Matthew 7:16, KJV
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 21:47
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Because lying is not Christian.

"Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?" -- Matthew 7:16, KJV
    So what political party should a Christian vote?
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 22:271 edit
    But that's the thing. Even the quote you provided is incredibly loaded -- did Jesus preach for gun control, universal health care, and said that we needed to take a stand against corporate greed? Of course not! That is the interpretation of people on the Left.

I will not comment on the accuracy of the claim. Instead, I'll say that such a claim is ...[text shortened]... an accusation as saying that liberals reject the gospel because they embrace the welfare state.
    Even the quote you provided is incredibly loaded -- did Jesus preach for gun control, universal health care, and said that we needed to take a stand against corporate greed? Of course not!

I guess that's the level at which they operate.

It's akin to a 5-year-old being told he had to share his toys with his younger sister, refusing to share his Legos and then protesting, "But you didn't say I had to share my Legos".

I will not comment on the accuracy of the claim. Instead, I'll say that such a claim is valid and can be theologically justified.

I guess that's the level at which you operate.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 22:29
    Originally posted by @eladar
    So what political party should a Christian vote?
    Christians vote for whoever they want.
    But the elect of God abstains from voting.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 22:50
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Well, that's quite the audacious claim. Not really a "spiritual" topic, though.
    Sorry.😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree