1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 16:29
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Well of course this is a false dilema erected in the service of propagating something you already believe.
    I would say that those who have not experienced the power of God in their own lives or in others and don't see him changing them in a substantial way for the better, either are not Christians or won't be for long.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 16:41
    Originally posted by @whodey
    And I believe you believe that.
    You should look into it. It's very interesting.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 18:252 edits
    Multiple sources all with the same purpose is pretty meaningless, especially when dozens and dozens of competing gospels were rejected in a stupendous bout of editing which intended to cultivate uniformity. The "either direct witnesses or a witness of other witnesses" thing is actually hearsay.
    Let me guess, it is somehow not hearsay that dozens and dozens of competing gospels were rejected in a stupendous bout of editing which intended to cultivate uniformity? You have undeniable evidence of this yes?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 19:13
    The gospels are either from first hand accounts or people recording it for them.

Evidence may be rejected in a court of law, depending on the perceived accuracy of such evidence, but it is evidence nonetheless.
    No it isn’t, you said you had a witness that was acceptable in a court of law. Well you may not have noticed that all of the writers of the gospels are dead for hundreds and hundreds of years, so good luck getting a “first hand” testimony from them in a court of law.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 19:15
    Revelation 12:11

And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.
    Do you think that you standing in a court of law and telling the jury that your evidence for the existence of god is “the blood of the lamb”, when you neither have the actual blood as an exhibit, nor have ever even seen it, is likely to be regarded as credible evidence?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 22:321 edit
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Let me guess, it is somehow not hearsay that dozens and dozens of competing gospels were rejected in a stupendous bout of editing which intended to cultivate uniformity? You have undeniable evidence of this yes?
    The point about gospels being discarded [you dont think any were?] in accordance with a prevailing doctrine pertains to whodey's vaulted uniformity.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 00:122 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    No it isn’t, you said you had a witness that was acceptable in a court of law. Well you may not have noticed that all of the writers of the gospels are dead for hundreds and hundreds of years, so good luck getting a “first hand” testimony from them in a court of law.
    I never said that it would be accepted in a court of law. Witnesses are witnesses whether they are accepted or not.

Speaking of a court case, maybe that is why Jesus was nailed to the cross. He simply could not muster the witnesses he needed when brought before the Sanhedrin, eh Dive?

See, I gave you another theory to trash the Gospels. 😵

No thanks needed
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 00:28
    See, I gave you another theory to trash the Gospels.
    I have never heard divegeester "trash the Gospels". Which thread, threads or sequences of posts by him substantiate your accusation?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 00:461 edit
    You hear Christians give witness to what Christ has done in their lives every day.

I would say that those who have not experienced the power of God in their own lives or in others and don't see him changing them in a substantial way for the better, either are not Christians or won't be for long.
    As far as I know, this is also divegeester's view - and it is inspired by the Gospels, regardless of the issue of their credibility as evidence or proof in the estimation of non-believers.

I have never seen you acknowledge this. In fact, while the Gospels are divegeester's spiritual inspiration, you, with your facetious 'banter', seem to want to engage in characterizing your fellow follower of Christ as "trashing the Gospels". Why is that?

divegeester has testified on numerous occasions to having experienced the power of Jesus in his own life. Why does your appetite for online smackdown trump your desire to acknowledge the commonality?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 03:10
    I never said that it would be accepted in a court of law.
    Here’s what you said:

Jesus never wrote about himself. This is evidence.
    At least, witness testimony is evidence in a court of law.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 03:101 edit
    As far as I know, this is also divegeester's view - and it is inspired by the Gospels, regardless of the issue of their credibility as evidence or proof in the estimation of non-believers.

I have never seen you acknowledge this. In fact, while the Gospels are divegeester's spiritual inspiration, you, with your facetious 'banter', seem to want to engage in ...[text shortened]... e. Why does your appetite for online smackdown trump your desire to acknowledge the commonality?
    If Dive has experience the power of God, is that not evidence?

I find it odd to place no faith in the gospels yet use them as inspiration.

Very odd.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 03:12
    Here’s what you said:

Jesus never wrote about himself. This is evidence.
    [b]At least, witness testimony is evidence in a court of law.
    [/b]
    If other people wrote of him then they claim to be in the know. They are then either a true of false witness.

No matter how you may seek to destroy their credibility, they are still a witness.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 03:141 edit
    See, I gave you another theory to trash the Gospels...
    I REALLY don’t like you misrepresenting me and my faith in this way. You will not find one trace of me ever “trashing the gospels” and I’m not going to let you get away with it.

Now, if you will kindly apologise we can leave it at that.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 03:16
    I REALLY don’t like you misrepresenting me and my faith in this way. You will not find one trace of me ever “trashing the gospels” and I’m not going to let you get away with it.

Now, if you will kindly apologise we can leave it at that.
    Sorry if I misrepresented you.

So you believe the gospels? If so, do you feel as though there if no evidence for your faith?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 03:18
    I find it odd to place no faith in the gospels yet use them as inspiration.
    Where did divegeester say he "places no faith in the Gospels"? Why are being so daft?

Where on earth did he say that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree