1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '18 01:50
    Originally posted by @eladar
    You only think I am dancing around the issue is because you are so arrogant you can't see beyond the tip of your own nose.
    So what is your definition of 'evidence'? Does the definition - as you seem to be suggesting - include an element of 'whether or not the person using the word believes it to be true'?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '18 01:52
    You only think I am dancing around the issue is because....
    I think you are dancing around the issue because you claimed I call people idiots over the issue of evidence when I do not - it's something you made up. Now, according to your definition of the word 'evidence', is you claiming that I called someone an "idiot" 'evidence' that I did because it's true 'in the eye of the beholder' (i.e. you)?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '18 01:54
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I think you are dancing around the issue because you claimed I call people idiots over the issue of evidence when I do not - it's something you made up. Now, according to your definition of the word 'evidence', is you claiming that I called someone an "idiot" 'evidence' that I did because it's true 'in the eye of the beholder' (i.e. you)?
    Yes you do. You claim what they believe is evidence really isn't. In doing so you call them idiots.

What gets counted as evidence is opinion.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '18 02:00
    Yes you do. You claim what they believe is evidence really isn't. In doing so you call them idiots.

What gets counted as evidence is opinion.
    Where is a post - just one will do - where I called another poster an "idiot" over the issue of 'evidence'? The post ~ if you can show me one ~ would certainly constitute 'evidence'.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Jan '18 15:29
    Are all religious scriptures 'evidence' - in the way you use the word - of the various gods that those religions worship, and not just Christianity? And has this been true for gods/religions, the world over, throughout human history?
    Not nearly as strong evidence as the Bible in my opinion in terms of fulfilled prophecy for one and historical reliability.

If you are genuinely interested in this evidence I suggest you have a look at this book:
    http://www.gracechapelsomd.org/books/The_New_Evidence_That_Demands_A_Verdict.pdf
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '18 22:58
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Not nearly as strong evidence as the Bible in my opinion in terms of fulfilled prophecy for one and historical reliability.
    You have dodged my questions. I wasn't asking you to make a pitch for your own religion. And I wasn't asking you what you consider strong or weak evidence about supernatural things.

The questions were: Are all religious scriptures 'evidence' - in the way you use the word - of the various gods that those religions worship, and not just Christianity? And has this been true for gods/religions, the world over, throughout human history?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '18 23:04
    The word ‘evidence’ can be used to mean different things in different contexts. Are you happy to use the definition of evidence as “signs or indications of something“ rather than “proof”?
    Neither, I’m asking for the evidence you claim to have, not “signs” not “indications”, evidence.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 12:16
    You have dodged my questions. I wasn't asking you to make a pitch for your own religion. And I wasn't asking you what you consider strong or weak evidence about supernatural things.

The questions were: Are all religious scriptures 'evidence' - in the way you use the word - of the various gods that those religions worship, and not just Christianity? And has this been true for gods/religions, the world over, throughout human history?
    From my perspective or theirs? I can only give you my perspective, which I have.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 12:19
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Neither, I’m asking for the evidence you claim to have, not “signs” not “indications”, evidence.
    So you reject that 'signs' and 'indications' are synonymous with 'evidence' according to the dictionary?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 12:27
    From my perspective or theirs? I can only give you my perspective, which I have.
    I am asking about the sense in which you defined and used the word 'evidence'. I am not talking about your religious perspective.

Are all religious scriptures 'evidence' - in the way you use the word - of the various gods that those religions worship, and not just Christianity?

And has this been true for gods/religions, the world over, throughout human history?
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 12:36
    I am asking about the sense in which you defined and used the word 'evidence'. I am not talking about your religious perspective.

Are all religious scriptures 'evidence' - in the way you use the word - of the various gods that those religions worship, and not just Christianity?

And has this been true for gods/religions, the world over, throughout human history?
    From my perspective, I think Hindus regard the Vedas as evidence for their gods, etc. You could ask a Hindu to verify this. I personally think no other religious text provides more solid evidence of the supernatural than the Bible for the reasons I have given.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 13:42
    Evidence is in the eye of the beholder. Only the arrogant believe people must present evidence they will accept.

FMF and company are about as arrogant as they come.
    "Only the arrogant believe people must present evidence they will accept."

And what, exactly, have you been saying about Roy Moore for the past month?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 13:56
    From my perspective, I think Hindus regard the Vedas as evidence for their gods, etc. You could ask a Hindu to verify this. I personally think no other religious text provides more solid evidence of the supernatural than the Bible for the reasons I have given.
    So the Vedas provide 'evidence' of the Hindu gods' existence - in the sense that you used the word 'evidence' - that was what I was getting at. Whether you happen to be a Hindu or a Christian is neither here nor there when we are talking about English language vocabulary. I have been asking about the word 'evidence' and not your personal religious beliefs which do not form part of the definition of the word..
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 13:581 edit
    So you reject that 'signs' and 'indications' are synonymous with 'evidence' according to the dictionary?
    yes, but why don't you post some of your signs, indications or whatever else you have and see how it goes?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 15:20
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    There has been a fair amount of discussion regarding evidence recently. Currently in another thread sonship is challenging Ghost of a Duke to prove that Jesus didn’t actually say something, and prior to that in another thread dj2becker was refusing to state whether or not he thought that the Bible was itself evidence for God’s existence.

In this thr ...[text shortened]... he words attributed to him in the Bible

- The Bible is in itself evidence of God’s existence.
    Jesus never wrote about himself. This is evidence.

At least, witness testimony is evidence in a court of law.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree