1. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 10:58
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The Adam & Eve story is a legend. If we believe in it as facts, then we get ourselves in trouble, because there are all kinds ...(text shortened)..read the bible to understand why there is cancer among us, because the truth is not there. The bible is written by men with an agenda.
    The bible is written by men with an agenda

Whats the agenda?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 12:44
    Originally posted by yoctobyte

Whats the agenda?
    Power. Often power.

Amusements. There are great stories in the Bible. You cannot learn anything about them, but they are still amusing.

Explanations. Made up. Because biology, astronomy, geography etc wasn't very well understood in those days.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 12:54

Whats the agenda?
    What, you can't comprehend there could have been an agenda when men wrote those tales?

For instance, the 7 day creation myth. That wasn't even original to the bible, it was lifted almost complete from a much earlier Egyptian 7 day creation story almost identical to the Talmud.

This makes sense since a lot of Jews were slaves in Egypt 3 to 4 thousand years ago.
  4. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 14:491 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What, you can't comprehend there could have been an agenda when men wrote those tales?

For instance, the 7 day creation myth. That wasn't even original to the bible, it was lifted almost complete from a much earlier Egyptian 7 day creation story almost identical to the Talmud.

This makes sense since a lot of Jews were slaves in Egypt 3 to 4 thousand years ago.

I can comprehend quite a bit, my question was "Whats the agenda?". Simple, straightforward, concise and to the point.

What is the agenda as it relates to the "7 day creation myth"? Are there others or is it just this one?
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 14:51
    Does this mean that I shouldn't care? That as we don't know anything about how god thinks, then we shouldn't even guess? That we should remain in ignorance...? Is this the way a christian should think?

That's not a kind of christian I would like to be.

Perhaps I just put this paradox along with with all the other paradoxes about the christian beliefs. My list of paradoxes are growing.
    I think it means that they can try to understand as much as they can about their faith. But when confronted by arguments like the Argument from Evil, what other recourse is left to them? Big questions like 'is there a god?' are up there with 'is there life in other solar systems, other planets?' We hit our limits with these questions. We should always struggle with them, for it makes us better thinkers and wiser people, but we have to accept in some cases that we cannot know the whole truth of the matter.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 15:02
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I think it means that they can try to understand as much as they can about their faith. But when confronted by arguments like the Argument from Evil, what other recourse is left to them? Big questions like 'is there a god?' are up there with 'is there life in other solar systems, other planets?' We hit our limits with these questions. We should always st ...[text shortened]... r people, but we have to accept in some cases that we cannot know the whole truth of the matter.
    I agree with you. I have no problems with that.

People should more often answer "I don't know" and "Noone knows" instead of trying to making up things in order to give an answer.

Question: "Why are there cancer in our world, isn't the creation perfect?" Answer: Noone knows. Some answers are - - -. Pick one as you please."

Scientists are better in this regard. They often say: "We don't know yet. Perhaps in the future we will know, but not for now." Some christians don't understand this kind of answers so they draw the conclusion: "But I know. It says so in the bible." or "God did it that way." Meaning "We are better than them. And I will go to heaven when I die of this very reason."
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 16:38

I can comprehend quite a bit, my question was "Whats the agenda?". Simple, straightforward, concise and to the point.

What is the agenda as it relates to the "7 day creation myth"? Are there others or is it just this one?
    There is basically only one agenda with religion, control people. Then, next step, grow political power.

When verses appear like 'I am a jealous god' you have to know that is men just assigning human attributes to a make believe god.

Its like an onion. You start with the center, which is nothing but imagination.

Then build on it layer after layer till the weight of the resulting mound of paper gets autonomous in its own self referential power.

But at the center, still zero real god/s.

Like the flood tale, like the 'virgin' mary, like the Jealous god, like A&E in the garden where Eve causes the 'downfall' of all mankind for her own personal felony.

All baloney tales written by men to control men, put down women, and grow your religion into a political power.
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 17:242 edits
    There is basically only one agenda with religion, control people. Then, next step, grow political power.

When verses appear like 'I am a jealous god' you have to know that is men just assigning human attributes to a make believe god.

Then build on it layer after layer ...[text shortened]... es written by men to control men, put down women, and grow your religion into a political power.
    The world would be like Oakland California after the Raiders lose or win the Super Bowl with a bunch of riots without government or religion controlling people. Or like LA during the Rodney King beating. 😉
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 17:411 edit

Then build on it layer after layer ...[text shortened]... es written by men to control men, put down women, and grow your religion into a political power.

There is no doubt that this has occurred since the beginning of time. Man is inwardly thinking... and about self! This is a bad combo when power is added into the mix and you are over people. Power corrupts!

I am not sure what thread I read it in... maybe this one. Another poster 'sonship' I think addressed this very idea of a jealous God. I believe it was along the lines of a jealous lover... in a nut shell. You have to read a thing in it's context to fully understand what is at the heart of the matter, quite often it is not what we first surmise on the surface.

I love your example of the onion because it illustrates a little bit of what I think God is like. Only I look at it from the complete oposite way you do. On the surface you have what you see, it's only when you peel back the layers you find something new, you learn something new about God. The only difference is, because God is eternal, you never quite learn all there is to know about him, you don't run out of layers. You just go deeper and deeper and deeper.

All baloney tales written by men to control men, put down women, and grow your religion into a political power.

I don't quite see it in the same way as you do, but I'm not you. I don't think it is these things at all.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 19:06
    Can you make a sum-up, or do I really have to read all these 1632 words of yours, your bible references uncounted?

Or can I just draw the conclusion that there is no simple answer. That 1632 words are really needed to explain why cancer to innocent people, like children, has a purpose in a loving and caring creation, or perhaps a flaw by the designers ...[text shortened]... ce more to explain why god shouldn't be considered evil? With a lesser count of words this time.
    Perhaps if one goes to school whether elementary or college, would one learn about a subject if the instructor just sumed it up? if you are not interested in learning or ones answers, don't post the questions....
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 07:23
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Perhaps if one goes to school whether elementary or college, would one learn about a subject if the instructor just sumed it up? if you are not interested in learning or ones answers, don't post the questions....
    Most of your answer had nothing to do with my question, it was just plain ranting about other stuff. Many words with no information gives a very low density.

Was it even your own words, or was it just copy&paste? Where was the words of galveston? If it wasn't, then it was quite uninteresting.

Your comment how hurt you were when you realized the I dismissed your answer was short and personal. Quite readable, and with your own words. High density of information. Why didn't you use that MO when you answered my original question?

You wrote: "If you are not interested in learning or ones answers, don't post the questions...."
    I would say "If you don't know the answer, then don't make up an answer...."
  12. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Mar '14 00:19
    Who can anyone say that the intelligent designer, or the creator is loving and caring? This supernatural being is right on evil.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-03-uv-aids-cancer-cells-blood.html

Why has god created cancer? Even innocent children get cancer. Lethal cancer. Why?

Is this a regrettable flaw in his creation or is the intelligent d ...[text shortened]... igner not so intelligent after all?

What is the usual christian explanation of this evilness?
    Cancer is wonderful, because cancer is the king of the cells just like the lion is the King of the jungle.

If you lived in Cellville, you would look up to Mr Cancer cell who is the champion of all the cells.

Out of the 100 trillion cells in your body............along comes Mr Cancer cell and defeats them all.

I admire perfection.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    15 Mar '14 00:441 edit
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Cancer is wonderful, because cancer is the king of the cells just like the lion is the King of the jungle.

If you lived in Cellville, you would look up to Mr Cancer cell who is the champion of all the cells.

Out of the 100 trillion cells in your body............along comes Mr Cancer cell and defeats them all.

I admire perfection.
    Your idea of perfection must be smoking crack!!! Plus cancer can be beaten with medicine and sometimes rarely with out medicine, so cancer is not perfection!!!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Mar '14 15:442 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no cancer and disease come as a consequence of genetic aberration after the fall of man, Gods creation was perfect. What is more protection from UV was provided in the form of an atmosphere, an atmosphere that has been eroded and polluted due to human activity.
    You mean the fall of all mankind because of the felony of one woman? THAT fall? Real gracious god you have who would condemn an entire species because of the act of one curious woman.

Any you believe that crap, falling for that BS story hook line and sinker.

It's amazing how apparently intelligent people can fall for that act time and time again.

It goes to show humans are not as intelligent as they think they are.

Majorly gullible is what they are. Naive, not using the reasoning power your god supposedly gave you to think things out for yourself, but content to allow the thinking of other men to control your life.

Would you play a game of chess like that? Would you play guitar like that? No, and you know it. Only when it comes to religion are you totally brainwashed, duped to the gills just like the other 3 billion people obsessed with the big three Abrahamic religions.

BTW, I am listening to Jackson C Frank right now, Milk and Honey. Totally unknown dude to me, great find. Too bad he ended up like he did. Great voice, great songwriter.

Just came across another dude new to me: Bonnie Prince Billy:
    YouTube
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 09:38
    Originally posted by Dasa

I admire perfection.
    If you say that cancer is wonderful, then I would never be a part of your religion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree