1. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '15 01:58
    Did evolution start the instance life accidentally created itself long long ago?

And is evolution super intelligent?

Does evolution have needs and wants...........because to evolve to protect itself and better itself is to have a need and a want for the future.

How does evolution know what the future is and what good is and what better is?...... let alone what the present is or the past is or what bad is or what worst is.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 May '15 02:28
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Did evolution start the instance life accidentally created itself long long ago?

Does evolution have needs and wants...........because to evolve to protect itself and better itself is to have a need and a want for the future.

How does evolution know what the future is and what good is and what better is?...... let alone what the present is or the past is or what bad is or what worst is.
    Have you attempted to ask these questions on the Science Forum? Those guys on there claim to know the truth about the science of evolution. They threw me out because they claim i do not know anything about it, because i believe in a religion. Perhaps you could have more luck if you don't mention you believe in a religion..
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 May '15 06:37
    Evolution happens in the presence of life - by definition. Evolution would actually have started before what we typically call 'life' today. All evolution requires is self replication and variation - which happens in chemical structures smaller than what we define as 'life'. Today, we can see genes and virus' evolving even though we do not typically call them life. We can also simulate replication and variation on a computer and see evolution happen without life.

That depends on your definition of 'intelligence'.

Does evolution have needs and wants.....
    No.

......because to evolve to protect itself and better itself is to have a need and a want for the future.
    Evolution does not evolve, nor protect itself, nor better itself. Evolution does result in some life forms that are better protected and survive into the future.

How does evolution know what the future is and what good is and what better is?..... let alone what the present is or the past is or what bad is or what worst is.
    It doesn't. Evolution is a process not a god. It does not have knowledge or desires. Your question is like asking: how does gravity know to keep your feet on the ground?
  4. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '15 06:43
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Have you attempted to ask these questions on the Science Forum? Those guys on there claim to know the truth about the science of evolution. They threw me out because they claim i do not know anything about it, because i believe in a religion. Perhaps you could have more luck if you don't mention you believe in a religion..
    Thanks I shall ask there......as well
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 May '15 07:01
    Thanks I shall ask there......as well
    Twitehead already provided you with a perfectly good answer. Why ask again before you've considered his answer?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 May '15 07:03
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Twitehead already provided you with a perfectly good answer. Why ask again before you've considered his answer?
    😴
  7. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 May '15 07:14
    😴
    Twitehead answered. Consider answer. Then ask next question.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 May '15 15:38
    Twitehead answered. Consider answer. Then ask next question.
    I am awake again.
    Intelligence has been defined in many different ways such as in terms of one's capacity for logic, abstract thought, understanding, self-awareness, communication, learning, emotional knowledge, memory, planning, creativity and problem solving.

Intelligence
    1. a. (1): the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : reason; also: the skilled use of reason
    (2): the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests)

b. Christian Science: the basic eternal quality of divine Mind

c. mental acuteness: shrewdness

2. a. an intelligent entity; especially: angel

b. intelligent minds or mind <cosmic intelligence>

3. the act of understanding: comprehension

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intelligence

Again, is evolution super intelligent or intelligent at all?
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 May '15 17:05
    I am awake again.
    Intelligence has been defined in many different ways such as in terms of one's capacity for logic, abstract thought, understanding, self-awareness, communication, learning, emotional knowledge, memory, planning, creativity and problem solving.

[b]Intelligence

1. a. (1): the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or ...[text shortened]... /dictionary/intelligence

[b]Again, is evolution super intelligent or intelligent at all?
    [/b]

And again, no.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 May '15 17:09
    I am awake again.

[b]Intelligence

1. a. (1): the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or ...[text shortened]... /dictionary/intelligence

[/b]
    Have you read that book I recommended yet?
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 May '15 17:10
    No.

That's like asking if gravity is intelligent.

Self-replicating things that do a better job of surviving long enough to replicate will tend to
    outnumber and out-compete self-replicating things that do a worse job of surviving long
    enough to replicate.

No intelligence is required.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 May '15 17:14
    Not by the definitions you have given.
    I believe however that Dasa has in the past stated that life itself is intelligent, so I thought he may have a wider range of definitions for the word hence my qualification that the answer may be definition dependent.
  13. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 May '15 17:321 edit
    I am awake again.

[b]Intelligence

[/b]
    A process evolution is. A process intelligent cannot be. Requires a mind does intelligence. A mind evolution has not. Why? Because a process evolution is.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 May '15 17:56
    A process evolution is. A process intelligent cannot be. Requires a mind does intelligence. A mind evolution has not. Why? Because a process evolution is.
    It depends on the definition. If you Google 'intelligent' you get a definition that includes

(of a device or building) able to vary its state or action in response to varying situations and past experience.
  15. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 May '15 18:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It depends on the definition. If you Google 'intelligent' you get a definition that includes

(of a device or building) able to vary its state or action in response to varying situations and past experience.
    Maybe mind intelligence not require. Memory intelligence require. Memory evolution... oh, shlt! 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree