1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    that anyone can doubt that there was a ideology built around or certainly influenced by Darwins theory, i do not think can now be disputed, imperialism and even the economic basis for slavery were now justifiable, the Nazis were able to justify and fully accept in almost clinical terms, the genocide of an entire race, euthanasia programs etc etc My ...[text shortened]... ral exercise of conscience gets supplanted with another ideology, thus atrocities are committed.
    Yet the proximate cause of Hitler's rise to power was his brilliant exploitation of the defeat and humiliation of Germany at Versailles, not the theory of evolution, Christianity, the Norse gods, or any of the other shibboleths that have been laid at his doorstep.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:42
    Originally posted by lausey
    I am aware that there are people who have attempted to use Natural Selection for such agenda, and what they have been doing is ludicrous.

For example, Hitler exterminating whom he believed to be "unfit". Natural selection does not need any influence from us, as the clue is in the title. It works naturally.
    then he must have been fully justified in pitting his armies against the inferior Slavs (Russians), for 'naturally', the stronger would overcome the weaker.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:43
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    No, it shows that your figures are completely false.

You seem to think of evolution as some mysterious force. Try think of it as nature, pure and simple. Yes, death is a natural occurrence.

'Judge not, lest ye be judged'. Was that statement a cop-out?
    You seem to think of evolution as some mysterious force.

Hardly

Try think of it as nature, pure and simple.

Evolution is a theory of how nature works. It came from the mind of man based on the flimsiest evidence science has ever come up with.

It's more of a dream than science. It (evolution) was originally developed by Darwin not as a result of observable, testable, scientific inquiry, but as a result of his own personal denial of truth. i.e. God as creator.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:43
    then he must have been fully justified in pitting his armies against the inferior Slavs (Russians), for 'naturally', the stronger would overcome the weaker.
    That doesn't follow.

In any case, he was wrong about who was the stronger.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:451 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]You seem to think of evolution as some mysterious force.

Hardly

Try think of it as nature, pure and simple.

Evolution is a theory of how nature works. It came from the mind of man based on the flimsiest evidence science has ever come up with.

It's more of a dream than science. It (evolution) was originally developed by Darwin not ...[text shortened]... , scientific inquiry, but as a result of his own personal denial of truth. i.e. God as creator.[/b]
    Rubbish.

Let's stick to a topic worthy of the name: is belief in God a necessary condition for morality?

Edit: changed 'religion' to 'belief in God'
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:45
    Yet the proximate cause of Hitler's rise to power was his brilliant exploitation of the defeat and humiliation of Germany at Versailles, not the theory of evolution, Christianity, the Norse gods, or any of the other shibboleths that have been laid at his doorstep.
    yes this is certainly true, had Germany not had such a huge war indemnity imposed upon it by the allies, he may never have risen on a tide of nationalistic fervour. His brilliance was in his dominating character, he was able by sheer force of will, to influence others.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:45
    Originally posted by lausey
    Natural selection is a process. Nothing more, nothing less. To base a philosophy, or define political policy on this is ludicrous.
    That's naive.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:48
    That doesn't follow.

In any case, he was wrong about who was the stronger.
    i dont think the outcome is very telling, the whole eastern front was a damnable exercise in egotism, had the Germans pressed forward as they had originally intended towards Moscow, well, i may be speaking German as well as you 🙂
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:49
    You people are off topic already.

No wonder truth is never arrived at in this forum.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:49
    yes this is certainly true, had Germany not had such a huge war indemnity imposed upon it by the allies, he may never have risen on a tide of nationalistic fervour. His brilliance was in his dominating character, he was able by sheer force of will, to influence others.
    So for Hitler, evolution was just another rhetorical device, rather than a cornerstone of his personal belief system.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:502 edits
    Evolution is about describing the pattern of inherited characteristics over the course of many generations. It's not a statement about morality at all, nor about what is "better or worse". It's descriptive.

Moreover, the label of "best adapted" (or in your words, "stronger" ) is only given ex-post after many generations so it reveals no preference between species living in the present (and obviously also none between members of the same species).
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:51
    Originally posted by josephw
    You people are off topic already.

No wonder truth is never arrived at in this forum.
    Your opening post is incoherent, so there is no topic. I have offered one, twice, but you seem reluctant to go with it.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:53
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Evolution is about describing the pattern of inherited characteristics over the course of many generations. It's not a statement about morality at all, nor about what is "better or worse". It's descriptive.

Moreover, the label of "best adapted" (or in your words, "stronger" ) is only given ex-post after many generations so it reveals no preference between species living in the present.
    A better slogan for evolution would be 'the "strongest" have survived thus far'. In this context, with the exemplary case of the dinosaurs emblazoned on one's memory, the words of Ecclesiastes spring to mind: the first shall be last, etc.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:53

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 13:54
    that anyone can doubt that there was a ideology built around or certainly influenced by Darwins theory, i do not think can now be disputed, imperialism and even the economic basis for slavery were now justifiable, the Nazis were able to justify and fully accept in almost clinical terms, the genocide of an entire race, euthanasia programs etc etc My ...[text shortened]... ral exercise of conscience gets supplanted with another ideology, thus atrocities are committed.
    you are absolutely right. nietzsche is also to blame for what the nazis did. and let's not forget hitler's parents who could have given him more hugs. also hitler once applied to an art school but was turned down. so there you go: the people truly responsible for the holocaust are finally revealed.

newton is responsible for the 9/11 attacks. because after all he did some work on the laws of gravitation so the terrorists were obeying his laws and shooting down the heretics that were using those flying metal abominations.

those that invented synthetic fertilizers are responsible for any whackjob making bombs out of them an blowing some sh|t up.

and i can go on and on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree