1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 00:39
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Regarding the JWs on this site about how much they LOVE EACH OTHER .... !!

Jehovah's Witness Magazine Under Fire For Claiming Defectors Are 'Mentally Diseased' First Posted: 9/29/11

English police are investigating whether a Jehovah's Witness magazine violated the country's religious hatred la ...[text shortened]... ingtonpost.com/2011/09/28/jehovahs-witness-magazine_n_985479.html
    A cult is typically one that fails to recognise God's Word as the final authority. Instead, a cult treats their followers as too ignorant to know that, which they are, therefore a central figure or group dictates their version of interpretation.

The world is full of followers of men. There is only one true church, and it's invisible. You may see its members every day, but the church, which is Christ's body, is a mystery to those who are not members.

Go for it!
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 00:43
    Originally posted by josephw
    A cult is typically one that fails to recognise God's Word as the final authority. Instead, a cult treats their followers as too ignorant to know that, which they are, therefore a central figure or group dictates their version of interpretation.

The world is full of followers of men. There is only one true church, and it's invisible. You may see its membe ...[text shortened]... the church, which is Christ's body, is a mystery to those who are not members.

Go for it!
    Nothing about the JW's is a cult. Look up the meaning of the word.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 00:49
    What Is a Cult?

The term “cult” is used loosely by many who may not be fully aware of its connotations. To prevent confusion, some theologians actually avoid using the term.
    The World Book Encyclopedia explains that “traditionally, the term cult referred to any form of worship or ritual observance.” By that criterion, all religious organizations could be classified as cults. However, in general usage today, the word “cult” has a different meaning. The same encyclopedia notes that “since the mid-1900’s, publicity about cults has altered the meaning of the term. Today, the term is applied to groups that follow a living leader who promotes new and unorthodox doctrines and practices.”
    Endorsing the popular usage of the term, Newsweek magazine explains that cults “are normally small, fringe groups whose members derive their identity and purpose from a single, charismatic individual.” Similarly, Asiaweek magazine notes that “the term [cult] itself is vague, but it usually denotes a new religious creed built around a charismatic leader, who often proclaims himself to be the personification of God.”
    The language used in a joint resolution of the 100th Congress of the State of Maryland, U.S.A., also conveys the derogatory connotation of the term cult. The resolution states that “a cult is a group or movement exhibiting excessive devotion to a person or idea and employing unethically manipulative techniques of persuasion and control to advance the goals of its leaders.”
    Clearly, cults are generally understood to be religious groups with radical views and practices that clash with what is accepted today as normal social behavior. Usually they conduct their religious activities in secrecy. Many of these cultic groups actually isolate themselves in communes. Their devotion to a self-proclaimed human leader is likely to be unconditional and exclusive. Often these leaders boast of having been divinely chosen or even of being themselves divine in nature.
    Occasionally, anticult organizations and the media have referred to Jehovah’s Witnesses as a cult. A number of recent newspaper articles lump the Witnesses with religious groups known for their questionable practices. But would it be accurate to refer to Jehovah’s Witnesses as a small fringe religious group? Cult members often isolate themselves from friends, family, and even society in general. Is that the case with Jehovah’s Witnesses? Are the Witnesses using deceptive and unethical techniques to recruit members?
    Cult leaders are known to use manipulative methods to control the minds of their followers. Is there any evidence that Jehovah’s Witnesses do this? Is their worship cloaked in secrecy? Are they following and venerating a human leader?

If there is any REAL proof of these accusations I'd like to see it.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 00:51
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Nothing about the JW's is a cult.
    The bullying of dissenters certainly is, if it's true. And you won't refute the charge by seeking to bully dissenters on this forum. You and robbie cop some disgraceful ad hominems in the cut and thrust of 'debate' on this forum, but that doesn't mean it's the defence tactic best suited to the concerns raised by the OP article.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 00:57
    Nothing about the JW's is a cult. Look up the meaning of the word.
    I don't have to look up the meaning. I know what a cult is.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    The bullying of dissenters certainly is, if it's true. And you won't refute the charge by seeking to bully dissenters on this forum. You and robbie cop some disgraceful ad hominems in the cut and thrust of 'debate' on this forum, but that doesn't mean it's the defence tactic best suited to the concerns raised by the OP article.
    Believe me it's not. If this organization did that in any form I'd walk away from it. I've had relatives and very close friends who have made serious mistakes but were not disfellowshipped as that is the last thing any of us want. We love our Brothers and Sisters and do not want to see any removed. So their reaction and how they view the sin is what finally determines what the reaction will be of the congregation.
    As I've stated before my Father is an elder and I've seen him come home in tears because of having to remove ones from the congregation, even ones that were a close friend of his. But they eventually have to follow the command to keep the congragation clean and not allow that person to have a wicked influance on it.
    We answer to the spiritual direction the Bible gives and that direction is not followed by most religions, hence the problems they have.
    So why such ones as MR Rjh can't understand this action is beyond me. As a society we remove ones that go to prison to protect our way of life and keep it safe. Parents sometimes have to do the same with children that turn bad in order to protect the others that may be in the house.
    Why shouldn't any church not do the same?????????????
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:05
    Originally posted by josephw
    I don't have to look up the meaning. I know what a cult is.
    Apparently you don't completely.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:07
    Apparently you don't completely.
    In fact I do.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:12
    Believe me it's not. If this organization did that in any form I'd walk away from it. I've had relatives and very close friends who have made serious mistakes but were not disfellowshipped as that is the last thing any of us want. We love our Brothers and Sisters and do not want to see any removed. So their reaction and how they view the sin is what fin ...[text shortened]... others that may be in the house.
    Why shouldn't any church not do the same?????????????
    I have two acquaintances - ex-JWs, husband and wife - who were bullied systematically and ostracized after they fell foul of the "elders" and tried (and succeeded in) withdrawing. I also know some people - one in particular - who was bullied in a very similar way when she tried to extricate herself from Scientologists.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have two acquaintances - ex-JWs, husband and wife - who were bullied systematically and ostracized after they fell foul of the "elders" and tried (and succeeded in) withdrawing. I also know some people - one in particular - who was bullied in a very similar way when she tried to extricate herself from Scientologists.
    I have a really hard time believeing that but do you have any details?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Finally someone with some first hand information and some backbone. I hope they listen to you.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yeah but the same can be said of people who try to come out as atheists in southern baptist
    country in the USA.

I don't disagree that Scientology is a cult, just that cult is a pejorative term applied to indicate
    what we think about a group, not a term that can be rigorously defined and applied.

They didn't like you much if your tried to leave communist Russia... but I wouldn't describe communism as a cult.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:19
    I have a really hard time believeing that but do you have any details?
    I don't care in the slightest whether you believe me or not. I am not trying to convince you that your organization has characteristics that could plausibly be described as being those of a cult, I am simply letting you know why I myself believe that it may well be so.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:20
    Perhaps if other religions would do as the Bible says in cleaning house when issues arise such as child abuse, then maybe so many cases wouldn't have happened to those poor kids.
    Then you have the issues of homosexuality that is not only accepted but even their preachers are coming out of the closets and being welcomed and even preaching from the stage with open arms.
    So very disgusting.......................
    If I remember correctly the JWs have their fair share of Child Abuse and Homosexuality within their ranks .. we did have a long discussion on it some years ago. But its all kept hush-hush..
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:21
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I don't disagree that Scientology is a cult, just that cult is a pejorative term applied to indicate what we think about a group, not a term that can be rigorously defined and applied.

They didn't like you much if your tried to leave communist Russia... but I wouldn't describe communism as a cult.
    Your difficulties in understanding or using the word "cult" is a matter for you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree